Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Mid-Summer Power Rankings from NBA.com

I'm just trying to think of something more useless than a NBA power rankings in the middle of the summer. Only being able to find one glove? Having peanut butter and jelly with no bread? Come on guys, lets turn this thread into something useful and list things more worthless things than a mid-summer NBA power rankings.

The sports section of a newspaper whose primary sports writers are Mike Bianchi and Brian Schmitz.

• Upvote 2

The official website of the NBA had the Magic ranked 24th when the season ended....After Henny's off-season moves we fell to 27th.

I agree that some articles have been positive....A lot of them negative too.....Zach Lowe (the writer you guys call SuoerMan) putting us in the WTF are they doing category.

The Magic, at some point, gotta start winning....plain and simple.

Speaking of winning.....

Everybody says we are modeling the Spurs and OKC small market ways to run our organization.....How many consecutive years did those franchises suck and end up in the lottery ???

Because we are staring year 3 right in the face.

http://grantland.com/features/2014-nba-free-agency-winners-and-losers-houston-rockets-chandler-parsons/

2. Orlando: Mostly covered here. But I trust this front office over the long haul.

But I trust this front office over the long haul.

Maybe you can start adding context to your posts.

• Upvote 1

That is what sucks about Junkie. Its not the posts or content. I like reading articles related to the team.

Its his context. He has referred to Zach Lowe questioning what the Magic did at least 7 times and all 7 times he was doing it out of context.

So basically the guy reads things in an extremely narrow minded way, or simply does not have the ability to completely grasp the written word. He then parrots the wrong info over and over in a trolling effort.

And once again the summer rankings are meaningless. ESPN had Phoenix 15th last year. They had the Twolves making the playoffs over the Blazers and Mavs.

• Upvote 2

http://grantland.com/features/2014-nba-free-agency-winners-and-losers-houston-rockets-chandler-parsons/

2. Orlando: Mostly covered here. But I trust this front office over the long haul.

Thank you, I could not bare writing this again to him. He has easily fallen within the definition of a troll.

The official website of the NBA had the Magic ranked 24th when the season ended....After Henny's off-season moves we fell to 27th.

Look at what he wrote. First, he minimizes our draft pics of Gordon and Payton to "more young guys". Minimizing the fact that we've added two pieces that should be higher level contributors to this team long term. One that should have a pretty sizeable impact this season in Payton, and one probably needs a couple of years to really grow into the league. Honestly, Payton might end up being the steal of the draft. Of course, just like with JJ, you'll just hop on the bandwagon at that point, wont you?

Second, his big gripe is with the Ben Gordon signing. Can you honestly justify why the BG signing is such a giant negative? Other than the possibility that we overpaid him, what's the downside? Worst case, he doesn't pan out and we drop him at the end of the season. He isn't a long term option, he doesn't tie up cap space long term, he doesn't prohibit us from signing anyone else. There are no significant drawbacks. He could pan out, his contract alone could be useful in a trade by itself but he could play well and add to that as well. Even if he doesn't, again, there is no significant impact short or long term. So, overpaid? Sure. Big picture, how bad of a move is it, really? It barely warrants mentioning.

I agree that some quite a few articles have been positive....A lot of them some negative too.....Zach Lowe (the writer you guys call SuoerMan) putting us in the WTF are they doing category.

See, I can play that game too. Others have called you out on your neverending "ability" to completely ignore context when saying things like this, but I'd like to add to it just a bit. I'd like to point out, for the record, that this has become your go to move for several years now. So long, in fact, that I grew tired of constantly calling you out for trolling a long time ago. It's boring. It's borderline comical. It's like you don't actually read these articles, you just pick out one particular line, present it out of context, and expect that no one else will read or comprehend the context of what's being said.

Speaking of winning.....

Everybody says we are modeling the Spurs and OKC small market ways to run our organization.....How many consecutive years did those franchises suck and end up in the lottery ???

First of all, the Spurs got a great start on their current long term run by lucking into Duncan. OKC had the benefit of drafting Durant. Currently, we don't have one of those types of players. However, what Rob is doing is fixing this franchise. Not just the team, but the culture including management and setting us up for long term success. This takes time. I'd say the Magic were in a much worse "starting" position than either of those teams. That being said:

08-09 OKC - 23 wins

07-08 OKC - 20 wins

06-07 "OKC" - 31 wins

06-07 "OKC" - 35 wins

Four years out of the playoffs, and not faced with one of the best players in the league forcing his way off the team. Not faced with cleaning up the mess that Otis Smith left behind. Even after they drafted Durant, it took two more years to get back into the playoffs (and lose in the first round to the Lakers). We are in year three of not just a re-tooling/roster rebuild but a complete overhaul of the franchise. I think your expectations are a bit out of line.

• Upvote 3

Why does this matter? What do we gain by being ranked higher? What is the benefit of ranking offseason moves before anyone has actually seen how the pieces fit together on the court?

I agree that some articles have been positive....A lot of them negative too.....Zach Lowe (the writer you guys call SuoerMan) putting us in the WTF are they doing category.

It's been pointed out on multiple occasions that Lowe holds Hennigan in high esteem. So, overlooking that for a moment, most of the people on this forum are capable of respecting a writers opinion without holding his opinion as absolute gospel. Pretty much the only writer that I did hold in that regard was Hollinger because his opinions were based primarily on his formulas mixed in with a little scouting. You're pretty much the only member on this forum that relies solely on beat writers opinions for your opinions....and largely ignore the opinion of said writers when their opinions no longer align with your agendas. An example being how you placed so much emphasis on Chad Ford's opinion until after the draft when he praised our draft and you conveniently forgot that Chad Ford ever existed.

Congratulations on making a statement that means absolutely nothing. You keep parroting these words and I don't know what you think is going to happen if we don't suddenly start winning games. Is the franchise going to fold or move to a different city? Are all of the fans going to simply cease being fans of the Magic and never come back? What do you believe will happen if the Magic don't start winning more games immediately? Nor do I know what you consider to be a realistic amount of games the team should win next season. Please tell me how many games you would realistically like to see the Magic win next year that would make you happy.

The Spurs were a perennial playoff team that lost one of the best centers in the league and were extraordinarily lucky enough to draft Duncan. They could have drafted a nobody the year they stunk and would have been right back in the playoffs the following year with Robinson returning. That example doesn't hold up.

The Thunder were in the lottery for 3 straight years before they made the leap with the added benefit of selecting their franchise changing player in the first year of rebuilding process. Then they made the leap from a 23 win team to a 50 win team. If Durant had been drafted in year 2 or 3 of that process, it likely would have taken a few more years for them to jump to a playoff team.

Edit: And like Captain pointed out, the Thunder didn't have to clear the roster of bloated, useless contracts like Rob Hennigan inherited. The job Hennigan has done in regaining cap flexibility in two short years is rather astonishing.

Shake my head?

Junkie, are you asking to get beat up by computerized symbols and language characters? I think you need to realize that there is something wrong with your perception of this team and how you formulate your opinions on it. Whether that's how you are in real life or that's a mental mistake, you should be aware of your actions at this point in your life. I'm really trying to not sound like a mentor. Seems like everyone already through tough love at you.

Its great to learn from criticism but you seem to lack retention Do you have a problem exercising patience? Are you doing this all on purpose to rile up the masses? Are you exhausted of placing confidence in this organization and possess a confidential or surreptitious plan that would lift this organization to the peak of success? Do tell.

SuoerMan to the rescue!