CTMagicUK

Official 2015 Draft Thread

shane battier 2.0

waste of a top 5 pick

Shane Battier was a great defender and spot up shooter; those are the kinds of guys you need to win in playoffs.

Shane Battier was a great defender and spot up shooter; those are the kinds of guys you need to win in playoffs.

Plus every coach loved him.

I've never once seen that comparison. You realize Winslow is like one of the top two or three athletes in the draft class right? No one ever mistook Battier for an athlete. If Battier is the comp then that's his abslolute floor.

then you need to listen to the latest draft podcast on espn.com this is the 2nd time I have heard someone compare winslow to battier

the jist is, winslow can shoot off the catch, but is poor off the dribble, and a glue guy. handles are a concern. footwork is claimed to be an issue with his jump shot

i don't want a role player at 5, i don't get where this forum thinks this guy is gonna be a star

Not everyone on a team can average 20 PPG. You need guys who will spread the floor, protect the basket, play good defense, etc. The more someone can do for a team, the better, but you don't want 5 James Harden's on a team who cannot play off-ball very well. It's a beautiful balancing act between primary & role players. It's something the great teams have down very, very well.

Like others on here, if we got Shane Battier, I would be absolutely thrilled. He never got enough credit as a player because his numbers were never huge, but he made an impact on every team he played on - both on the court and in the locker room.

If we do indeed draft Porz, I think it works out perfectly for the future so AG can play SF, where I've always thought he was best suited.

Payton

Dipo

AG/Harris

Porz

Vuch

This would be at least a year or so down the line, but I think that lineup could become pretty good. A lot would ride on how AG develops hit shot, but Porz can spread the floor, Dipo should continue to improve in all aspects, and Payton will be an all star in the next 3 years.

If we re-sign Harris than obviously he starts at the 3 while AG develops which isn't a bad thing.

Not everyone on a team can average 20 PPG. You need guys who will spread the floor, protect the basket, play good defense, etc. The more someone can do for a team, the better, but you don't want 5 James Harden's on a team who cannot play off-ball very well. It's a beautiful balancing act between primary & role players. It's something the great teams have down very, very well.

Like others on here, if we got Shane Battier, I would be absolutely thrilled. He never got enough credit as a player because his numbers were never huge, but he made an impact on every team he played on - both on the court and in the locker room.

No, but THAT is what this team needs.

We need to be trying to hit a homerun, not a single.

No, but THAT is what this team needs.

We need to be trying to hit a homerun, not a single.

Battier isn't a single though. He's an unheralded double. In his prime he did a fantastic job slowing down the games best players and he had an on/off impact similar to Tracy McGrady, Vince Carter, etc. He always made the right play, always played the correct play with help defense, etc. Battier might be the best "beyond the box score, glue guy" of all time.

So if you mean "like Shane Battier" as in "smart, can get you 10 ppg, and a good three and D guy" obviously we would be disappointed in that outcome at 5. But if you mean "will have a career and impact similar to Shane Battier" that's a fantastic pick.

He watched the magic growing up

Really? Is he a fan? Or did he watch the magic the same way I watched Philly growing up because I found Iverson fascinating?