CTMagicUK

Official 2015 Draft Thread

I hope it's not Johnson. I see our team missing an star player. Sure, outside of Russell and Towns, the potential for that dwindles and it's not like those two are locks anyways. I'm sure you can make ( and will) an argument on why Winslow COULD become one, but at worse he's an solid starter. Because he can score enough and d up, he'll go high.

Our team, I see a lot of B type players ( with potential to go to A possibly) and even though Mario is potential as well, watching his skills offensively, I am really hoping Rob sees an consistent offensive beast, potentially because I think we need that...On top of defense and experience.

The attitude? It just sounds like he wants to win or at least compete. Hell, maybe Skiles likes that in him. That might even be a match made in heaven. It also be overkill but I rather not look at it like that.

How much do you or I really know about Mario compared to what the Magic scouts do? Honestly probably 5%. We don't have enough on this guy to project any of these things on him. There are some sweet highlight films and thats about it.

I already posted a better argument on Winslow than I'll type up. It is simply numbers based :

http://hoopsanalyst.com/?p=1433

If we want a solid starter - it's WCS. That guy can come in day 1 and contribute defensively.

Thinking about stars is probably a bad way to approach the daft. Adjust the mindset a little to 2 way players. The Magic don't have any right now. Gordon can become one and so can Victor and Elf.

Like you said, he can score AND play D. That is what we need. Guess who else can? Stanley Johnson. If you have a starting lineup with 3-4 2 way players, you already have a big time advantage.

How much do you or I really know about Mario compared to what the Magic scouts do? Honestly probably 5%. We don't have enough on this guy to project any of these things on him. There are some sweet highlight films and thats about it.

I already posted a better argument on Winslow than I'll type up. It is simply numbers based :

http://hoopsanalyst.com/?p=1433

If we want a solid starter - it's WCS. That guy can come in day 1 and contribute defensively.

Thinking about stars is probably a bad way to approach the daft. Adjust the mindset a little to 2 way players. The Magic don't have any right now. Gordon can become one and so can Victor and Elf.

Like you said, he can score AND play D. That is what we need. Guess who else can? Stanley Johnson. If you have a starting lineup with 3-4 2 way players, you already have a big time advantage.

Do you think you really have to tell me how little we know? It's why I'm putting the want for Mario in the context that I am, which is I hope Rob sees something more there than any of us. If not, fine.

You also don't have to explain to me how looking for an star in the draft is not very ideal. I'm going on 37 years old and been following NBA for 25+ years,. I know how much of the draft is a crap shoot. Even in the top 3.

I agree there's a big advantage to having 2 way players but there's a HUGE advantage of having a star.

I'm daydreaming here man. Don't take that away from me lol.

I also wonder could Mario be our Manu?

Not a fan of Johnson. His lack of explosiveness makes me doubt him as the guy to pick at 5.

Do you think you really have to tell me how little we know? It's why I'm putting the want for Mario in the context that I am, which is I hope Rob sees something more there than any of us. If not, fine.

You also don't have to explain to me how looking for an star in the draft is not very ideal. I'm going on 37 years old and been following NBA for 25+ years,. I know how much of the draft is a crap shoot. Even in the top 3.

I agree there's a big advantage to having 2 way players but there's a HUGE advantage of having a star.

I'm daydreaming here man. Don't take that away from me lol.

I also wonder could Mario be our Manu?

Not a fan of Johnson. His lack of explosiveness makes me doubt him as the guy to pick at 5.

I understand what you are saying, but we have to accept the reality that we will probably not draft a star at 5.

Last year there were 2 obvious ones in Parker and Wiggins. This year there are 3 possible ones and here is the thing - there are a lot of guys who could slide under the "star" draft radar, end up as stars, but probably will not. Porzingis, Mario, Winslow, Stanley (reminds me a lot of Artest), Mudiay all fit that category.

Again if you look at the hard numbers in the link I posted, Winslow is projected to be an actual star more than Mario would be.

I don't see Mario as Manu because Manu has a team first personality and can handle coming off the bench. Mario so far can not.

Not trying to be a dream destroyer or anything, but this is the situation we are in. It's actually not that bad.

I understand what you are saying, but we have to accept the reality that we will probably not draft a star at 5.

Last year there were 2 obvious ones in Parker and Wiggins. This year there are 3 possible ones and here is the thing - there are a lot of guys who could slide under the "star" draft radar, end up as stars, but probably will not. Porzingis, Mario, Winslow, Stanley (reminds me a lot of Artest), Mudiay all fit that category.

Again if you look at the hard numbers in the link I posted, Winslow is projected to be an actual star more than Mario would be.

I don't see Mario as Manu because Manu has a team first personality and can handle coming off the bench. Mario so far can not.

Not trying to be a dream destroyer or anything, but this is the situation we are in. It's actually not that bad.

Nah. It can be a lot worse I know.

I'd be fine with Winslow. I just feel he'll be picked higher but with Mudiay getting more pub now (article above) maybe Winslow drops to us.

Chad Ford has high praise for WCS

“He’s freakishly athletic, and he moves laterally as well as any big man I’ve ever seen (that includes Anthony Davis and Andre Drummond). He’s bouncy and just glides up and down the floor. There’s a reason teams think he might be able to guard all five positions on the floor, and everything he did in Los Angeles confirmed that ability.”

Ford added that Willie’s “bulked up considerably” since the season, but is still a work in progress when it comes to ball handling and creating off the dribble.

The link also has Ford's praise for Devin Booker as well for those of you who like him

I wouldn't mind trading down for Stanley Johnson and maybe picking up another asset.

I'm a big Stanley Johnson fan

• Upvote 1

the thing about WCS is there is a limited downside.

At worst he is going to be a good rim defender which is a major plus

his downside is probably deandre jordan-esque. rim protector that finishes lobs and is active on the glass.

the downside of porzingis and some of these other guys is gigantic

if magic pick WCS i won't fault them for it.

if they pick porzingis we all have a right to be skeptical the hype is a little too much, there's a euro guy every year that gets massive hype.

winslow is just another tweener, we have enough of those here.