CTMagicUK

Official 2015 Draft Thread

I should amend that last statement. There is one reason not to pay him. If Orlando is planning to spend that money immediately on better value. I don't see that value in this FA crop, but that is a reason.

He is unnecessary? Duplicated talent? Expensive for what he would bring to the table?

even IF you believe all these things, if a team offers him a max contract then we know for a FACT what his value (or very close to it) is around the league. I don't think anybody here is advocating to sign him with our max.

I haven't read this. Thanks for posting.

I never got on the Mario bandwagon but started to become a fan when the WCS injury issue came out. The more I read, and more opinions I see saying he legitimately has SUPERSTAR potential, gets me very excited.If he can really develop into our #1 option, alpha male to lead the pack, then we're set.

Simply put, there are reasons other teams (including the Pistons and Stan Van Gundy, who is a pretty smart guy) are reported to be interested in paying him near the max. Because that's his value. There is no reason not to pay a valuable young asset what he's worth if you have the cap space to do it.

That might be his value to Detroit, but not to Orlando. You're right, SVG is pretty smart, and he knows the only way he gets free agents to sign with Detroit is to overpay them, like Josh Smith, Ben Gordon, and Charlie Villanueva.

Harris would also pay 4.25% state tax and 2.4% city tax, so his $15M salary would equate to $14M here.

[/size]

http://probasketball...out-of-orlando/

I would let him walk for nothing before I match $15M/year.

That article is just lazy, and I only read what you posted. First of all, neither Jackson nor Maggette were even involved in that trade- that's entirely fictional. 2nd, the relationship between Skiles and Harris has been discussed. Writers are either ignorant, or just don't bother to research it because it's easier to pose it as Harris "getting away from Skiles."

I don't really disagree that 15 is steep, Im just irked by entertainment-value journalism over substance.

I just watched the Harvey video... wow! I thought the kid was just a shooter, but he looks fearless taking it to the hole against bigs, passes well, and seems to be comfortable with the ball. Nice pick!

What he really did wasn't a miracle it was common sense. Trade one of the best players in the league along with as many bad contracts as you can send with him. Let the rest of the guys expire or do minor trades to unload a couple more. Most of this brilliance just took time and someone with an IQ over 50 who wouldn't just add more insanely stupid long term players (IE Otis). I can remember when Otis showed up we had cap space, picks and two rookie bargains in D12 and Jameer. Otis was like a really dumb kid in a toy store (for instance move #1 paying Rashard 40 million more than anyone else could and then inexplicably adding year 7 to an overaged overused player)....he just spent and spent regardless of the long term effects on the team. Then when he knew he was done (D12 was gone) he accelerated the stupidity because he knew he wasn't going to be here to clean up the mess (see Gilbert). Enter someone with a brain to clean up the mess. Henry has the team moving the right way but he better get more wins or someone else will be making the future moves with the team.

Sure, thats why i saw you post the blueprint before ithappened right? Nobody here saw that dwight trade coming. Dwight already killed leverage with his brooklyn demands and it looked like we were going to have to absorb the contract of brook lopez.

If you think it is easy to dump bad contracts AND get assets you are crazy. Nobody even knew who Vuc was before that trade.

Hennigan structures his contracts very shrewdly. He manages the cap very well. He finds assets like harris and fournier and improves the team with younger. Players on lesser contracts.

That's just not true, the cap can only increase by a max of 29% to that magical 90 million a year cap that everyone is talking about. Player salaries are not guaranteed to match the total cap increase 1:1, in fact try to find evidence where that has ever occurred. 13-15mil/year is going to be a lot regardless of the cap increase. And you must factor in what could happen if Harris doesn't improve. He will be an albatross contract.

Also, and this isn't directed at you but more in relation to a response from catman about me referring to his career numbers…while he has been rather consistent he actually hasn't improved much at all over the last three years. The only thing that has improved was his corner three and mpg, and that didn't have a corresponding increase compared to his prior two years on in game impact. Truth is, its not likely that he will be much more than what he is already…even if he becomes a smarter player. As long as he's with us I want him to, but despite his age he has had the green light for growth for three years now, his body has filled out, his shots improved…unless he picks up his D what exactly do where do we expect the growth to come from?

Easy, the growth will come from a better offense. This is a team sport and tobias did not have ideal spacing to put up his best numbers. His 3 point % went up anyway. He could shoot 38% from 3 this year and average 18 ppg in a more uptempo offense. Both would be signs of growth.

All that got us out of cap hell was time. What rob did was trade vets for young talent/draft picks. He didn't trade any of the big albatross contracts except Dwight who would have walked anyway.

Yes but you can sit and wait for contracts to expire like the old magic, or you can acquire young assets and properly extend them and manage their deals so you have sustainable success. This is what he does better than any past gm we have had. Which is why if he does match tobias, im not worried about it. We know he has a plan. Its not like a rashard lewis situation where the team is handcuffed.

Let me add this - near max is 13.5 million. That equates to around 9.5 million when the cap goes up. You are telling me you would not spend that for Harris? Makes no sense to me.

Real numbers, no conjecture :

According to Synergy, Harris had 106 post up possessions and averaged 1.04 points per possession (PPP). He was the most efficient post up player in the NBA (among players with at least 100 post up possessions).

But yeah, he "sucks" at PF. Lol.

Harris averaged 0.85 points per possession. That’s considerably better than the league average of 0.79. For comparison, Harris’s 0.85 points per possession was better than that of Eric Bledsoe, Rudy Gay, Monta Ellis, LeBron James, Russell Westbrook, John Wall, and Dwyane Wade.

Yep, defintley doesnt bring anything to the team at all. Not worth 13mm. :/

Trey Burke is on the trade block. I wouldn't mind bringing him in to backup Payton. He's underrated and would bring energy/scoring ability off the bench.

He's far from underrated, imo