CTMagicUK

Official 2015 Draft Thread

Golden State just won the NBA finals starting a lineup with no true PF or C. Why exactly do we need a rim protector?

And don't forget the great 3 point shooters

Golden State just won the NBA finals starting a lineup with no true PF or C. Why exactly do we need a rim protector?

This is not exactly a great way to think in my opinion and I don't think it's how Henny thinks. I think like this: if a team wants to win a title in the next half a decade or more they'll more than likely have to be able to beat GS. You're not going to do that by playing them at their own game with small ball and 3 point shooting. You have to find ways to combat that. Personally, I think 2 athletic, good defensive, guards and a low post center seem like a decent place to start if you're building a roster to beat Golden State.

They beat an injury ridden Cavaliers team missing two all star starters in Kyrie Irving and Kevin Love. They were also missing Anderson Varejo, and players went missing like Perkins, Haywood, and Marion (injured or never played). So for most of the series they had seven guys play the majority of the minutes, and while they put up a hell of a fight, the Warriors simply had the better line up and depth. IT would be interesting to see what the result would have been if Cleveland was healthy...

The further point is that the Warriors now need to prove this is not a one off and get back to the finals and win. They need to show that this style is the way forwards and can be successful long term. For me, they have shown in the play offs that they aren't unbeatable, and arguably a healthy Cavaliers team might have been able to do it.

For me, I think having a rim protector is still important. I'd rather be built like OKC than the Warriors because I think long term if they stay healthy, OKC's style should be longer lasting because I suspect teams will get wise to how to stop the small ball line ups that the Warriors use (eg. like the Spurs did to an extent with the Heat in 2014), or at least restrict them and make it beatable.

• Upvote 1

Unless Oladipo starts shooting like Stephen Curry we still need a rim protector. Good luck with that.

And drafting for need vs bpa is what gets you in trouble.

@IAmDPick: Arn Tellem, reps Mario Hezonja, is in Barcelona to negotiate a reduced NBA out clause - valued at €2 million.

Super Mario appears to have a $2m buyout. Hmmmm...something to think about. Possibility he doesn't come over this year?

And drafting for need vs bpa is what gets you in trouble.

Exactly. And it's not like our only need is a "rim protector". So many holes still on this roster that to say we need this one thing is foolish.

@IAmDPick: Arn Tellem, reps Mario Hezonja, is in Barcelona to negotiate a reduced NBA out clause - valued at €2 million.

Super Mario appears to have a $2m buyout. Hmmmm...something to think about. Possibility he doesn't come over this year?

No, it's already discussed that he'd get a loan to resolve that.

Some guys are on the fence about coming over so they use the money as a way to justify staying an extra year. He's desperate to get out of there.

Exactly. And it's not like our only need is a "rim protector". So many holes still on this roster that to say we need this one thing is foolish.

Right. And we still haven't reached that level of fine tuning our roster to minimize weaknesses. That's reserved for contending teams.

This has been known for months though.

If the team needs offense it should be a real short list between Porzingis, Winslow and Mario. Mario would be a surprise, so really it could be Winslow or Porzingis. That's my guess.