CTMagicUK

Official 2015 Draft Thread

Could we pry either Noel or Embiid away from Philly for a pick or assets. Id like to see some shot blocking down low for a change.

Maybe if we got like the 3rd pick and didn't want to take someone not named Okafor or Towns, but I don't see that happening.

Could we pry either Noel or Embiid away from Philly for a pick or assets. Id like to see some shot blocking down low for a change.

Embiid has so many red flags, I wouldn't give up very much for him.

If we came out of this draft with WCS I would be reeeally underwhelmed.

--

I'd take Hezonja if Tobias was sure to be gone, but I'd still like to re-sign him, even if we hit the 15 million range.

Draymond Green became a very solid player, but Aaron Gordon has the potential to be way better in my opinion, but I like the comparison and I think/hope that Gordon's future is at PF

I actually agree with this. And I say it like that because I liked Stein more a couple weeks than I do now. I personally think the tournament exposed him to a degree, not in a groundbreaking way, but he is absolutely horrible in the post. I mean he couldn't post up a 6"4 guard. I also think when it actually came to one on one defense, he was exposed a little too. Frank Kaminiskly absolutely burned him a few times in the post. No doubt he's an incredible help defender and that's where he makes the majority of his highlight blocks. I wouldn't mind him at 10, because he will be able to come in and block shots, rebound, catch Oops, and run the break from day one. But at 5, I would like someone with much more upside. Mario, Winslow, Johnson even Oubre.

I can't say I would be really mad with Stein, just guys that I would be mad passing on at 5 for him.

Have you read or seen how Philly fans are with Noel? I mean, seriously, if Philly traded Noel I think their fans would riot in the streets. They absolutely think he is the best player in the NBA under 21 now.

Not to say front office's base decisions off fans, but either way we would have to give up a boatload for Noel. Embid, idk. I bet we could give them our first this year for him, but I don't think I would do that. I like the idea of Embid and think he can be a damn good player, but as others have said he does have his share of Red Flags and comes off Andrew Bynum'ish to me.

My mindset right now is to really go all in on that Payton, Oladipo, Harris, Gordon, Vucevic lineup and draft someone that will really beef up our bench (and probably leave us when his rookie contract is done).

I'm assuming Towns won't be available when we pick

I'm not on board with starting Gordon at the 4 next year. I still think right now he's a SF that can play PF if need be, but I don't think either way he is ready to be an NBA starter next year, this assuming we are actually going to make the "jump" next year to the playoffs and not just playing for another lottery pick. And I also am completely mixed on Harris.

I'm more like go all in on Payton/Dipo/Vuch, sign a PF (Green maybe?), draft a SF (Mario/Winslow), make two good veteran signings for the bench.

I'm not on board with starting Gordon at the 4 next year. I still think right now he's a SF that can play PF if need be, but I don't think either way he is ready to be an NBA starter next year, this assuming we are actually going to make the "jump" next year to the playoffs and not just playing for another lottery pick. And I also am completely mixed on Harris.

I'm more like go all in on Payton/Dipo/Vuch, sign a PF (Green maybe?), draft a SF (Mario/Winslow), make two good veteran signings for the bench.

I'm in the same boat. Gordon is more naturally a 3, and I think that the team will generally treat him as such.

The resigning of Tobias Harris I'm concerned about, but I'm also not overly worried because I think Gordon more naturally plays the 3 and signing a bigger 4 might be a better way to go.

I'm excited to see where we land in the draft lottery so we can just start talking specifics. No doubt though, none of us will see or be able to call Henny's move, as none of us did last year.

I agree with Dean on Draft after watching Winslow this tournament. He showed serious fire out on the court and that was really impressive to me. A guy like that would fit perfectly on the Magic in terms of attitude and desire. He also has a rather nice shooting motion which is what started to bug me about Stanley Johnson.

Here is the odd thing - Chad Fords latest mock draft doesnt even have Winslow listed in the top 10. To me that is insane. It may have been a misprint and may have been fixed, but when I looked this afternoon he was not there. He also had Mario at 10.

My draft prediction as of right now is 1. Towns 2. Okafor 3. Mudiay 4. Russel 5. Winslow. It really doesn't mean much though until we have a draft order.

If the Magic pick at 6, I think they take Hezonja or Porzingis. If they pick 5, I think they take Winslow.

I personally think the Magic could start Gordon next year if they make some moves and completely upgrade their bench. Keeping Harris at a good price could be a great way to do this. With Fournier back, and Gordon playing this well, I think you use Harris as a reserve, which is what he should be.

I believe Gordon can greatly assist in defending Nik's weak side on D and he is already developing go to moves on offense.

All this aside, I still think Mario fits the teams most dire needs which is more offensive punch. If Hennigan drafts Mario I would be very excited, because it means he sees a stud player.

There is a lot to be said for continuity and a solid bench. It is a big reason why the Spurs are still good. Yes they have Parker, Duncan and Ginobli but those guys are old. They could easily get run down in the wrong system, but they are incredibly efficient due to being so familiar with each other.

I agree with Dean on Draft after watching Winslow this tournament. He showed serious fire out on the court and that was really impressive to me. A guy like that would fit perfectly on the Magic in terms of attitude and desire. He also has a rather nice shooting motion which is what started to bug me about Stanley Johnson.

Here is the odd thing - Chad Fords latest mock draft doesnt even have Winslow listed in the top 10. To me that is insane. It may have been a misprint and may have been fixed, but when I looked this afternoon he was not there. He also had Mario at 10.

My draft prediction as of right now is 1. Towns 2. Okafor 3. Mudiay 4. Russel 5. Winslow. It really doesn't mean much though until we have a draft order.

If the Magic pick at 6, I think they take Hezonja or Porzingis. If they pick 5, I think they take Winslow.

I personally think the Magic could start Gordon next year if they make some moves and completely upgrade their bench. Keeping Harris at a good price could be a great way to do this. With Fournier back, and Gordon playing this well, I think you use Harris as a reserve, which is what he should be.

I believe Gordon can greatly assist in defending Nik's weak side on D and he is already developing go to moves on offense.

All this aside, I still think Mario fits the teams most dire needs which is more offensive punch. If Hennigan drafts Mario I would be very excited, because it means he sees a stud player.

There is a lot to be said for continuity and a solid bench. It is a big reason why the Spurs are still good. Yes they have Parker, Duncan and Ginobli but those guys are old. They could easily get run down in the wrong system, but they are incredibly efficient due to being so familiar with each other.

No way Tobias stays with us to be a bench player. If we pay him the $$, he'll be starting and would probably be rather upset coming off the bench unless he was seen as a scoring punch and finisher like Manu Ginobli.

Does anyone know how close Tobias is to the other places on the team? I feel that somehow a close bond to teammates would play a role in his staying or leaving to some degree.

I'd consider trading our 1st for Noel. If we hired Thibs as our coach, we'd have a similar front court to Chicago:

Vooch = Gasol

Noel = Noah

Thoughts?

Imagine you have a blank roster, and you're forced to choose between drafting either Winslow or Gordon as your first forward. You can't go wrong with either.

But I'm taking my chances on Winslow, who has terrific defensive potential, as well as a higher offensive ceiling. Gordon may actually become the more valuable defender, but without a convincing jumper or the ability to create, I question his upside in an NBA offense.

Winslow ultimately has a more credible track record as a shot-maker and a more believable outlook as a scoring small forward.

Outside Kentucky's Karl-Anthony Towns, Duke's Jahlil Okafor, Emmanuel Mudiay, who played in China, and Ohio State's D'AngeloRussell, I'd have Winslow right there in the No. 5 spot. And for what it's worth, if Gordon were in this year's field, I'd have him in the No. 8 to No. 10 range.

http://bleacherrepor...or-aaron-gordon

I disagree. Gordon would go 3rd to 5th for the same reason he was drafted over exum and smart (both good analogs for mudiay) saric/vonleh (porzingis) and sauce Castillo (Hezonja, though this is kind of a weak comp).

People forget that many analysts had smart as an all star, projecting him as high as 4. Randle was projected #1 by many guys also. As was exum.

Draft writers get clicks by selling a class as so much better than last year, the best draft ever, or the worst draft ever. This draft has nobody who is an apparent franchise player so they can't sell it as the best ever. They have several guys who have potential so they can't sell it as the worst draft ever. Instead, they're forced to market it as better than last year.

Gordon vs Winslow is a toss up. Both guys in college were complimentary pieces that didn't have to carry a team which allowed them to focus on the little things. Both guys project as players with very high floors coming out of college. Gordon was a better defender in college than Winslow and offers better potential on that end of the floor in the nba based on size. Winslow is a much better shooter.

I hope we have both guys on our team next year

• Upvote 1