Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Magic fanbase needs legitimate playoff hopes !!! (bleacher report)

Because the '09 team had just as many wins, got to the NBA Finals, and won a game? Something that the '95 team didn't do?

And yea, there are plenty of GM's out there who spin their wheels and don't make moves in the best interest of the team. Otherwise, there wouldn't be so many perpetual lottery teams out there.

Outside of the last year or so, Otis got results.

Been a fan since I was about 10, and as long as I've followed basketball, so no, you can't throw out the "newest" or "casual" fan card to try to make yourself feel more important.

otis did alot of stupid things

Because the '09 team had just as many wins, got to the NBA Finals, and won a game? Something that the '95 team didn't do?

You do realize that there is a whole thing where two teams that played 14 years apart had different opponents, right? And that the '95 team played a Rockets team led by prime Hakeem and just-past-his-prime Drexler? Or that the '96 team that got eliminated in the conference finals was only eliminated because they were playing arguably the best team in NBA history and because Brian Hill is a comically bad coach? And that they would have been heavy favorites in the FInals?

And yea, there are plenty of GM's out there who spin their wheels and don't make moves in the best interest of the team. Otherwise, there wouldn't be so many perpetual lottery teams out there.

Holy hell, dude: Hanlon's freaking razor. Good lord.

Yes, Otis was very good at "having Dwight Howard in his prime." It was clearly his greatest skill.

Been a fan since I was about 10, and as long as I've followed basketball, so no, you can't throw out the "newest" or "casual" fan card to try to make yourself feel more important.

Bragging about the age at which you became a fan is a little silly when no one here knows how old you are. For all we know, you're 11.

Ive got news for you. Oneal vs Shaq...good god can you say one sided, although the free throw shooting display here would be laughable. Dwight would be backed down and wore down by the second quarter. Im a big backer of Dwights defense when he played in the finals but Shaq did what he wanted period. Nick vs Lee....advantage Nick. Scott vs Turk...Turk was playing well at the time...adv Turk. Horace vs Rashard...experience vs good shooter...adv Horace. Horace did so much for the interior defense and acted as a glue on the interior game. He meant a lot more to that team than most know. Penny vs Jameer (or Raefer)...this is the worst mismatch of the bunch. Jameer may not cross mid court with the ball in his hands. Penny would make fools of anyone on 09 team and if you cant stop the ball you lose. I mean really Penny vs Jameer...would be oh my god bad. The only thing going for the 09 team would be the disasterous coaching of little Napolean #1. As much as he would find a way to lose a game to the 09 team I dont think he could. The 09 team may win a game vs 95 but they would have to shoot lights out from the three. I think 09 goes down 4-1 to 95.

As for Otis only making bad moves only in the last year and being well intentioned....UH NO! Otis recklessly made moves for years with little regard to current and especially future considerations. Go back and look at his endless stream of jack ass trades and signings. Management let him go unchecked all the while and he drove the team into the ground. He was in my mind the worst GM in the history of sports. He was gifted picks, a stripped roster with cap space and Jameer and Dwight on rookie contracts when he was given the keys and left with a team of garbage (at best case). Factoring in Gilberts never ending deal and the garbage we were still paying for we were still one of the highest paid teams even recently despite being the leagues worst the last two years. I dont blame Henny for cleaning house at all. I blame Otis and it took Henny years to finally clean Otis' turds from our roster. Otis made his last moves with NO REGARD FOR OUR FUTURE and management watched. A big reason D12 left was because of lack of proper guidance of GM and the teams inability to undo the moves he had made to our roster.

Please go back and look at Otis' moves again and issue an apology...do yourself a favor.

Eh, the lee trade was still a good one. We got the best two guys in that deal.

Our mistake is not resigning hedo (when viewed through the lens of trading gortat and Vince for him later on) and the arenas trade.

that trade turned Dwight into a troll and bright the drama train.

edit: I don't have a problem with the team in terms of their youth pieces

a: I don't like that jameer is gone but that is just me, so whatever

b: I don't have a problem with the youth but, I'm not really attached to any particular player right now. if they were all traded tomorrow I wouldn't care. all my favs are gone.

my view from a fan standpoint

my thinking about the future unfortunately isn't bright because I doubt management. I just don't see how we are going to utilize the cap space. I don't see any big fa's coming here in the next couple of years.

also, idk who everybody thinks we are beating out of the playoffs. I dont realistically see us knocking the top 10 off. (assuming everyone is healthy I guess)

edit edit: that sentence is confusing. I trust management. just to clarify. I don't agree with everything but I trust. I'm not to spoiled to forget otis.

lol at Otis got results. What results were that? Having a collection of the league's worst contracts? Are people really trying to prop up Otis' work? Maybe we'd be further along in this rebuilding process if Hennigan didn't have to spend so much time focusing on cleaning up the mess he left behind? We're still having to pay money to guys like Gilbert Arenas, Hedo Turkoglu and Glen Davis to keep them away from the team thanks to Otis. Not to mention Al Harrington who we had to take in order to make the Dwight trade work.

Exactly. Hennigan took a team with the worst financials you could imagine and had to dig out of that massive hole.

That is why this is taking so long. We were financially a nightmare for the past two year. Finally now we are free of all the garbage contracts and our biggest problem is not hitting the salary floor - which is simply fantastic when you look at this roster. It is loaded with potential and has tons of future flexibility.

Exactly. Hennigan took a team with the worst financials you could imagine and had to dig out of that massive hole.

That is why this is taking so long. We were financially a nightmare for the past two year. Finally now we are free of all the garbage contracts and our biggest problem is not hitting the salary floor - which is simply fantastic when you look at this roster. It is loaded with potential and has tons of future flexibility.

For anyone not understanding how terribly mis-managed we were, just think about the idea that the money we're still paying Arenas could be going against our salary cap if not for the amnesty provision. That's a largely forgotten about bail out the league offered that luckily Otis doesn't have to take responsibility for.

Do you think there is a siren that goes off in Sac's house whenever Otis is referenced on this forum?

DOM pretty much covered my response.

This place is getting crazy with the negative summer over reactions.

These are gonna be the same guys who will conveniently have amnesia once we put a stacked team together.

These are gonna be the same guys who will conveniently have amnesia once we put a stacked team together.

Nah, they won't have amnesia.

The thing that they are all doing, if you notice, is not ever stating a concrete opinion. It's always some variation on: "Well, I sort of think this, but maybe I'm wrong and we'll see." That way if the team's rebuild fails, they can claim that they knew it all along, but if the team's rebuild succeeds, they'll argue down the road that they hedged enough that they weren't actually wrong on some sort of weird technicality.

It's the worst kind of trolling because it essentially forces them to argue that you're wrong without ever actually committing to a reason why, before inevitably falling back to the absolutely wrong and preposterous: "Well it's my opinion, and opinions can't be wrong," defense.