Sign in to follow this  
Franchero MVP

Magic sign Channing Frye

I don't see Vucevic and Oladipo as players with big scoring upside. I can see Victor scoring 20 ppg at some point on a peak season, but not Vuc.

Wade and Oladipo's rookie seasons are very very similar per36 mins. Oladipo slightly younger as well. The only real clear statistic that Wade has on him is FG%, where Oladipo has 3pm. Considering the comparisons and that Oladipo also has good work ethic, I reckon he is still a chance to get above 20 ppg this year and to continue that trend.

What is it with the knee jerk "Bad Move" press that Rob gets initially on his moves only to be followed up by things like:

ESPN Insider Haberstroh Best and Worst FA Moves So Far (Link)

Best deals

Channing Frye, Orlando Magic | Age: 31

Contract: Four years, $32M | AAV: $8M

2013-14 value: 10.8 WAR | Expected AAV: $12.2M

Annual surplus value: +$4.2M

Let's just get this out of the way: Frye is an RPM darling. As a smart 3-point shooting big man, Frye is a poster boy of the modern NBA, contributing to the scoreboard in ways that aren't fully captured in the box score. The spacing he affords his teammates by drifting on the perimeter simply can't be quantified by conventional stats.

If a championship contender got Frye at this price, we'd probably hear more about it. But because the basement-dwelling Magic grabbed him at a time when they probably shouldn't be giving big money to veterans, the deal won't get its due. It's a fairly long commitment to a 31-year-old, but at just $8 million a year, this could be the Paul Millsap contract of this offseason.

or...

The Buzz at Vegas Summer League (Link)

He shoots, he scores

Once upon a time, NBA offenses were almost entirely about isolation possessions and exploiting mismatches. A corner-3 shooter was a novelty act, and drive-and-kick schemes were regarded as gimmicky.

Goodbye to all that. The shooting revolution reigns supreme, which is why it's difficult to find naysayers in Las Vegas on Channing Frye's 4-year, $32 million deal, and there's more support for Jodie Meeks' 3-year, $19.5 million contract than you might imagine.

"This is where the analytics movement is driving the market," says a general manager who can be fairly characterized as middle-of-the-road on analytics. "We're seeing the extinction of the mid-range game. It's a driver-and-putter league now. Nobody wants to play with their irons."

What is it with the knee jerk "Bad Move" press that Rob gets initially on his moves only to be followed up by things like:

ESPN Insider Haberstroh Best and Worst FA Moves So Far (Link)

or...

The Buzz at Vegas Summer League (Link)

I'd say its because the people who react instantly are the people who didn't watch the Suns play last year all that much and didn't have time to look into the advanced stats. They see that Frye averaged 10 and 6 or whatever and immediately say it's a bad deal without considering fit, impact outside of counting stats and all that other, possibly more important, stuff.

I'd say its because the people who react instantly are the people who didn't watch the Suns play last year all that much and didn't have time to look into the advanced stats. They see that Frye averaged 10 and 6 or whatever and immediately say it's a bad deal without considering fit, impact outside of counting stats and all that other, possibly more important, stuff.

Exactly.

Read this article about Frye signing with us:

http://arizonasports...03/ASK-YOURSELF

Next - the salary cap in 2 years will be 80mm. That basically means Frye will be making 5-6mm a year with our current cap structure.

Guys, this has got to end. Esokbar, if you believe someone is breaking the TOS, please simply make a report. Please don't try to call someone out yourself. Cat, please be respectful with your posts, even when you disagree. Thanks

Guys, this has got to end. Esokbar, if you believe someone is breaking the TOS, please simply make a report. Please don't try to call someone out yourself. Cat, please be respectful with your posts, even when you disagree. Thanks

Thats fine, but he makes it like i am talking just about him when there are around 5 posters i was clearly addressing.

Is Frye the only player we signed that didn't have a relationship with Perry? Or is he somehow connected to him too?

I don't think Ridnour did.

I don't think Ridnour did.

They knew each other from their Seattle days if I'm not mistaken but I do believe I heard Ridnour say it wasn't really a factor in his decision during his interview.

Hennigan getting no love from Sports Illustrated.

Orlando Magic

Best move: Drafting Aaron Gordon.Worst move: Signing Ben Gordon.

Analysis: “Befuddling” is really the best word to describe the Magic. The phrase “spinning their wheels” doesn’t really apply here, as it implies the organization is clearly attempting to move forward. Really, Orlando seems more like a spinning top, aimlessly rotating around in circles without a clear set of guiding principles.Clearly, the organization’s top priority is accumulating young talent, and they did that by using lottery picks on Aaron Gordon and Elfrid Payton. In Gordon, they added a freak athlete who has All-Star potential down the road. In Payton, they addressed a glaring need at the one, tabbing one of the draft’s late risers as their potential point guard of the future. But even those picks came with questions. Should Orlando really have passed on both Marcus Smart and Dante Exum with their first pick? How far away is Gordon, 18, from being an impact player, and how many more years can the Magic afford to wait for one of their youngsters to truly break out?

Unfortunately, those aren’t even the serious questions. The most confounding decisions include the signing of Ben Gordon, a non-factor for years, to a insanely generous contract. What possible value does Gordon have on a team so deep into its rebuilding? Then, there’s the trade that sent Arron Afflalo to the Nuggets for a less-than-inspiring return package. Afflalo was a borderline All-Star candidate last season who can shoot the ball and play quality perimeter defense; after months of Afflalo rumors, Orlando acquired only a modest return on that asset. The Magic’s other big move — a four-year contract to stretch big man Channing Frye — is totally lacking in upside and will presumably cut into the roster’s young players at that position. What’s the plan here, exactly: are they trying to win, are they trying to develop, or are they trying to save a little face after back-to-back rough seasons?

Grade: D

http://www.si.com/nb...t-hawks-hornets