Sign in to follow this  
A Better DJ & Photographer

Welcome Ben Gordon- Magic Sign Ben Gordon for 2 years $9M

Followed immediately by:

I mean really, "shooting fish in a barrel" doesn't even cover it. What's easier than shooting fish in a barrel? Looking at fish in a barrel? Acknowledging that a barrel has fish in it? I clearly need a new metaphor here.

How about debating accounting with Drunk On Mystery?

I don't mind this deal for a number of reasons. I understand it's an overpay but we have so much cap room and little use for most of it so I'm not too worried about that. I think this is Gordon's last shot in the NBA with the reputation he has. He needs us more than we need him if he wants to continue his career. Am I expecting anything special? No, but I think he'll backup the PG spot and come in to play off the ball and allow Oladipo/Fournier to create from the SG position. He's had a slump these past couple of years but he has been a great 3 point shooter which we desperately need and if he can get back to that he'll be valuable. I think we should all be aware that Henny has sat down with this guy and had a discussion about his role and responsibilities. If he steps out of line I imagine he'll just be waived and if he does become disruptive at least we get to test the strength of the culture we've been building. Also Gordon could easily be fodder as a soon to be expiring contract if we needed to make up salary in a trade. I have my doubts that this move will pay off in any significant way but it's relatively low risk.

I could be wrong but isn't Ben Gordon a shooting guard?

Yea but he's only 6'3 so what I meant by him playing the backup PG spot is that I can imagine we'll see lineups with no PG's where Vic or Fournier run the offense and Gordon guards (or trys to guard) the PG.

This guy is going to be worth every penny after we're back around the top of next year's draft.

Yea but he's only 6'3 so what I meant by him playing the backup PG spot is that I can imagine we'll see lineups with no PG's where Vic or Fournier run the offense and Gordon guards (or trys to guard) the PG.

I agree with you that I don't mind the deal either but I do find it a little confusing. Only due to the fact that we seem to value a player's attitude more than most yet BG just had a rough stint with the coach and managers in his last team.

Of course I don't know exactly what happened and understand the risk is minimal due to the contact and our cap room so it's not a time to panic or anything I'm just saying that I don't completely understand the signing.

Doug (MI)

Why did Orlando give Ben Gordon any money?

Kevin Pelton (1:11 PM)

No idea. The explanations I've seen that they needed shooting and his salary works for trade matching purposes don't really hold up when the easiest way to make a trade that saves another team money is by having space open. And the argument that the Magic are below the floor holds little water, given they don't have to get there until the trade deadline and the worst-case scenario is they spend that money on their own players rather than someone who's not a part of their future.

Kevin Pelton (1:12 PM)

Those justifications also fall short given the Magic just traded one of their best shooters (Arron Afflalo) in a deal that primarily yield cap space they promptly used on Gordon.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thomas (Columbus)

Who is Ben Gorden's agent? Does he represnet any of Orlando's young guys that might be coming up for an extension soon? Could the weird Orlando deal be a case the team helping the agent hoping the agent will help the team down the road?

Kevin Pelton (1:29 PM)

Indeed he does share an agent with Victor Oladipo: http://www.iamsports-ent.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=featured

Kevin Pelton (1:30 PM)

There is always an element of backscratching to managing relationships with agents. But that usually means bringing guys to summer league or training camp, not paying $4.5 million to a player with no market in free agency.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Doug (MI)

Why did Orlando give Ben Gordon any money?

Kevin Pelton (1:11 PM)

No idea. The explanations I've seen that they needed shooting and his salary works for trade matching purposes don't really hold up when the easiest way to make a trade that saves another team money is by having space open. And the argument that the Magic are below the floor holds little water, given they don't have to get there until the trade deadline and the worst-case scenario is they spend that money on their own players rather than someone who's not a part of their future.

Kevin Pelton (1:12 PM)

Those justifications also fall short given the Magic just traded one of their best shooters (Arron Afflalo) in a deal that primarily yield cap space they promptly used on Gordon.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thomas (Columbus)

Who is Ben Gorden's agent? Does he represnet any of Orlando's young guys that might be coming up for an extension soon? Could the weird Orlando deal be a case the team helping the agent hoping the agent will help the team down the road?

Kevin Pelton (1:29 PM)

Indeed he does share an agent with Victor Oladipo: http://www.iamsports-ent.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=featured

Kevin Pelton (1:30 PM)

There is always an element of backscratching to managing relationships with agents. But that usually means bringing guys to summer league or training camp, not paying $4.5 million to a player with no market in free agency.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Interesting... scratch my back and I will scratch yours. It is how business works sometimes.

It seems more likely that it had to do with the fact that we didn't want anything long term, we wanted someone we could pay for a year, with an option for two, and that sort of limitation isn't going to attract the type of FA's you guys seem to think we need at this point. So, you overpay a little, but you get a better team friendly short term contract with flexibility that favors us.

• Upvote 1

Ehh.... this was a yawner.

Gordon hasn't produced anything significant since his last year in Chicago when he had a 20ppg season. It's not reasonable to think he is going to fill a need to score when he couldn't even get to the floor last year, netting Ben a whopping 5ppg stat.

From a Vet perspective, I don't see where he could help. Had problems and got waived before the playoffs in Charlotte. Don't you think charlotte would of used him if he could provide something?

X2 Yawn...

For the sake of the team, hope he proves me wrong.

Trend + age says no.

Charlotte did a petty thing by waiving him hours after the cut off so he could not sign and play playoffs for another team.

I think it is a good signing in the sense that if Payton is a good at creating and driving as we think, then he has a solid shooter ready to pop. Everyone wanted more shooters on this team, this is exactly what this signing is.

I agree with you that I don't mind the deal either but I do find it a little confusing. Only due to the fact that we seem to value a player's attitude more than most yet BG just had a rough stint with the coach and managers in his last team.

Of course I don't know exactly what happened and understand the risk is minimal due to the contact and our cap room so it's not a time to panic or anything I'm just saying that I don't completely understand the signing.

I've been worried about his attitude as well but 2 of our assistant GM's have had experience with Gordon (Lloyd at Chi and Perry with Det) so if he's really not a good guy they'd know and we probably wouldn't have signed him. I was thinking that he might have a relationship with Maxiel from his Piston days as well... But obviously that doesn't matter if we waive him.

I've been worried about his attitude as well but 2 of our assistant GM's have had experience with Gordon (Lloyd at Chi and Perry with Det) so if he's really not a good guy they'd know and we probably wouldn't have signed him. I was thinking that he might have a relationship with Maxiel from his Piston days as well... But obviously that doesn't matter if we waive him.

Good point but if he was such a good character guy it'd be weird that he got in such a mess at Charlotte.