Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

NBA Draft Grades - Negative (Pelton and Others)

Number 23 out of 25 teams because 5 teams didn't make a pick....

23. Orlando Magic (minus-1.1 WARP, 4.1 expected)

Your view of the Magic's draft depends on how much importance you place on shooting, because neither Aaron Gordon (1.7 projected WARP, 16th) nor Elfrid Payton (0.8, 34th) are accurate shooters. It seems Orlando will try and compensate for below-average shooting on the wing with elite defense.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft2014/story/_/id/11143782/nba-draft-draft-grades-numbers

• Downvote 3

Kevin (Los Angeles) [via mobile]

Aaron Gordon comparisons to kawhi Leonard hold any water statistically?

Kevin Pelton (4:33 PM)

Not really. Leonard was more of a small forward playing power forward in college, whereas Gordon's game is more interior-oriented in the half court. And most importantly, Leonard shot 74.4 percent at the free throw line at San Diego State, as compared to Gordon's 42 percent mark.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Vinnie (Vegas)

What is up with the Sixers disregard for shooting? A product of how the draft fell, or do they generally not value it as much?

Kevin Pelton (3:36 PM)

The interesting question is whether this is a strategy. If shooting is undervalued, and you're trying to lose, do you wait to get your shooters for the last stage of your rebuild?

Kevin Pelton (3:37 PM)

But I wouldn't say they ignored shooting as much as Orlando.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Greg (Gainesville)

I like what Orlando did but are they going to score any points next year?

Kevin Pelton (3:38 PM)

They'll get some transition buckets! A lineup of Payton-Oladipo-Harkless-Gordon-Vucevic has great defensive potential, but man is the floor going to be small at the other end of the court.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Schwalls (Orlando)

Very surprised with Orlando taking Gordon. Was thinking Exum if he was there, or Vonleh. What does Henny see in Gordon for the future and was Payton worth the picks traded?

Kevin Pelton (3:52 PM)

Clearly the Magic value athleticism and defensive potential, and believe that the work ethic of the players they take will help them improve as shooters. We'll see.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Kevin [via mobile]

You as high on elfrid Payton as much as other people? Some comps to a young Gary payton?

Kevin Pelton (4:14 PM)

Like Elfrid Payton, Gary Payton had difficulty with his shot entering the NBA. Unlike Elfrid Payton, Gary Payton was considered one of the handful of best players in college basketball. I don't see the comparison except in general terms.

------------------------------------------------------------

Jeff (Austin)

Is outside shooting the easiest skill for young rookies (Aaron Gordon, Dante Exum) to improve upon? Or perhaps ball-handling? It seems like everyone just assumes that if hard-working players will significantly improve at shooting...

Kevin Pelton (5:10 PM)

It's the most likely spot for players to make transformative improvements, but I think the likelihood of that is often overstated. There are a lot of guys out there who are a jumper away from being contributors that spend whole careers in the D-League, and it's not for lack of effort.

Kevin Pelton (5:10 PM)

I wouldn't include Exum in that group, by the way. As a point guard, he doesn't need to be a knockdown 3-point shooter.

---------------------------------------------------------------

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/50831/nba-insider-kevin-pelton

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Same guys who thought we got screwed in the Dwight trade. I don't put much value into these guys OPINIONS. The only difference is that they get paid for their opinions and we don't. I think we hit it out of the park. Just wait until Wiggins and Exum become duds.

Same guys who thought we got screwed in the Dwight trade. I don't put much value into these guys OPINIONS. The only difference is that they get paid for their opinions and we don't. I think we hit it out of the park. Just wait until Wiggins and Exum become duds.

Guardian I couldn't agree more.

i notice junkie didn't start a topic for all the good reviews

magic got screwed in the dwight trade

got nothing in return for JJ

were idiots for not taking mclemore or noel

and now we're doomed.

let's wait and see about gordons shot, since he mechanically addressed the problem. harkless improved by fixing his mechanics, no reason gordon cant

So, if I got this right, Pelton thinks the Magic had the worst draft in the league last night strictly because of shooting. Lets forget for a second that the Magic came away with 2 top 10 prospects that fill positions of need for this team, the Raptors reached hard for a player that probably would have been available in the middle of the second round. Are you kidding me?

It really does feel like Junkie has been subtly trolling this forum for several years.

• Upvote 1

and now we're doomed.

let's wait and see about gordons shot, since he mechanically addressed the problem. harkless improved by fixing his mechanics, no reason gordon cant

I don't remember anyone saying we were idiots for not taking McLemore or Noel. If anything, Oladipo has been the only move Henny has made that was praised by the general public.

I don't remember anyone saying we were idiots for not taking McLemore or Noel. If anything, Oladipo has been the only move Henny has made that was praised by the general public.

Miller, I'm pretty sure he is referring to me...I didn't use the word idiot but I did say I think Henny made the wrong pick last summer by taking Dipo over Noel....Noel is healthy now and ready to play....I stand by my comments and am looking forward to seeing how that plays out.

Also, the only postive grade I could find was Chad Ford's A -.....But even he was criticizing the Gordon pick saying he didn't like the fit...Gave Orlando that grade because he like the Payton pick.

I saw USA Today gave the Magic a C -......

Maybe Henny wants to tank again and get his rim protector next summer ???...I saw ESPN posted their top 5 already and 4 of the 5 are big guys.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

and now we're doomed.

Going off his workout video I think Gordon has a good shot form and release. I think it will come down to just practice, and he is a work horse.

Miller, I'm pretty sure he is referring to me...I didn't use the word idiot but I did say I think Henny made the wrong pick last summer by taking Dipo over Noel....Noel is healthy now and ready to play....I stand by my comments and am looking forward to seeing how that plays out.

Also, the only postive grade I could find was Chad Ford's A -.....But even he was criticizing the Gordon pick saying he didn't like the fit...Gave Orlando that grade because he like the Payton pick.

I saw USA Today gave the Magic a C -......

Maybe Henny wants to tank again and get his rim protector next summer ???...I saw ESPN posted their top 5 already and 4 of the 5 are big guys.

I also look forward to seeing how Noel goes this season. Though I still reckon Oladipo is going to be a much better player than Noel.

I'll bet anything that AG & E become consistent shooters and at least a 70%FT shooters. These guys don't have it now, but they have the work ethic to get there, as does Oladipo, Harris, and Nicholson. You already see what Harkless has done in just 1 offseason.

You can teach shooting, but you can't teach the hustle, passion, work ethic, and love for the game they have.

• Upvote 1

I'll bet anything that AG & Co E become consistent shooters and at least a 70%FT shooters. These guys don't have it now, but they have the work ethic to get there, as does Oladipo, Harris, and Nicholson. You already see what Harkless has done in just 1 offseason.

You can teach shooting, but you can't teach the hustle, passion, work ethic, and love for the game they have.

Exactly, and that type of positive attitude is infectious. Build your culture, fill in with what you need and those guys will rub off on them.

• Upvote 1