CTMagicUK

Summer League Thread

I love the fact that Junkie hated Exum as a prospect for the Magic, posted everything negative about the guy that he could find, cited a lack of information on him as a reason to not take him, and now suggests the Magic should have taken Exum - because a couple of summer league games, that he probably didn't watch, was all the evidence he needed to be convinced that Exum could play - as potential evidence of a Hennigan mistake. He literally just admitted to being ready to criticize Hennigan for not drafting a player that he wouldn't have drafted either. If this isn't the definition of trolling then I don't know what is.

Junkie has been the biggest troll on this board for years! I thought this was common knowledge.

So if exum, randle, vonleh, smart, stauskas, McDermott, etc are having bad games can we get off Gordon now?

noah did have 18 rebs... some of that was them shooting 28% though...

doug mcbuckets had 31pts...

So if exum, randle, vonleh, smart, stauskas, McDermott, etc are having bad games can we get off Gordon now?

I guess not. Only thing I can pick as a reason for question is that we went against the 'mocks' with our pick....

I still can't get my head around Exum getting so hyped up on his game, even down under down here (Australia) all the love was shown... I thought he was just ok. At the end of the day it is just summer league! The only talent which should be watched and talked about is 2nd rounders and undrafted players or players trying to get a camp invited. Ie. Marble for us.

I love the fact that Junkie hated Exum as a prospect for the Magic, posted everything negative about the guy that he could find, cited a lack of information on him as a reason to not take him, and now suggests the Magic should have taken Exum - because a couple of summer league games, that he probably didn't watch, was all the evidence he needed to be convinced that Exum could play - as potential evidence of a Hennigan mistake. He literally just admitted to being ready to criticize Hennigan for not drafting a player that he wouldn't have drafted either. If this isn't the definition of trolling then I don't know what is.

He's a joke and everyone knows it (but himself).

Nailed it perfectly.

noah did have 18 rebs... some of that was them shooting 28% though...

doug mcbuckets had 31pts...

Yeah the 18 rebounds were good but I don't know how to view that through the lens of 8 fouls.

Yeah the 18 rebounds were good but I don't know how to view that through the lens of 8 fouls.

I don't get the no foul out rule, why is it in place?

I remember saying this months ago - Vonleh is a major project. A guy who seriously may be playing D league for a while. It is around when I was hearing the Magic were trying to trade and get Gordon at around pick 6-9, and I was really excited about that.

The Vonleh to Magic rumors were surprising, but they made sense and smoke screened everybody. He can shoot, he has some serious skills, but he is a project like many of these draft picks this year.

What is funny is how a lot of people were saying that Vonleh was really slow. We ended up getting a really fast player and I have not hear any of those folks say one thing about his speed, even though he showed he can take it coast to coast in summer league. Now it is - "he can't shoot". Vonleh can shoot but it was " he is slow"..lol.

Regardless, I think Vonleh is more of a project than Gordon due to the fact that he does not have the defensive mind yet and is lost a lot in rotations. Gordon's defense should allow him to see the court a lot earlier.

McDermott is a great pick for a contending team. He would not have fit the Magic but for a team like the Bulls he is going to be nasty.

Highlights from last night:

- McDermott had 31 (7-12 with 12-12 FT and 5-9 3PT). He didn't do much else but damn.

- Seth Curry had 26 points (7-9, 5-7 from 3PT, 7-7 FT) with 2 steals and 2 TO's. He was unstoppable late in the game.

- Jabari Parker had 11 points on 4-15 shooting with 11 rebounds and the worst +/- of the night with -18.

- Anthony Bennett is actually looking really good with 5-8 shooting for 13 points and 14 rebounds.

- Wiggins couldn't find a shot as he was 3-11 but still was +18 against the spurs.

- Schroeder dropped 30 points on 9-14 shooting and had 4 reb - 4 ass with 8 turnovers.

- Stauskus shot 3-10 for 10 points and was an atrocious 2-6 from the free throw line.

- McLemore was 4-10 with 1 rebound, 5 PF, and 3 TO's

- Vonleh had 18 rebounds to go along with 10 points (3-10), 8 fouls, and 4 TO's

- The Charlotte Hornets DL team in total had 39 fouls on the game (woah)

- Randle was 4-9 with 10 points, 2 rebounds, and 5 TO's.

- DeQuan Jones makin' a name for himself. 14 points on 5-6 shooting with 4 rebounds, 2 steals, and 0 TO's in 16 minutes of reserve action, including one thunderous highlight jam.

Based on these (especially Wiggins/Parker), I'm really not overly upset about Gordon, and really not upset about Payton. Our team did well. Let's just hope that we sign Seth Curry as our 15 roster player (or maybe DeQuan Jones? Seems to be doing well).

I don't get the no foul out rule, why is it in place?

Because the ostensible point of Summer League is to see your rookies and to try out younger D-league level players and get a chance to see what they can do.

"Inexperience players commit lots of fouls" is something that everyone sort of knows already, and 75% of the guards in summer leagues won't rotate on defense basically at all, so there's not much benefit to watching every big man foul out of every game.

Highlights from last night:

- McDermott had 31 (7-12 with 12-12 FT and 5-9 3PT). He didn't do much else but damn.

- Seth Curry had 26 points (7-9, 5-7 from 3PT, 7-7 FT) with 2 steals and 2 TO's. He was unstoppable late in the game.

- Jabari Parker had 11 points on 4-15 shooting with 11 rebounds and the worst +/- of the night with -18.

- Anthony Bennett is actually looking really good with 5-8 shooting for 13 points and 14 rebounds.

- Wiggins couldn't find a shot as he was 3-11 but still was +18 against the spurs.

- Schroeder dropped 30 points on 9-14 shooting and had 4 reb - 4 ass with 8 turnovers.

- Stauskus shot 3-10 for 10 points and was an atrocious 2-6 from the free throw line.

- McLemore was 4-10 with 1 rebound, 5 PF, and 3 TO's

- Vonleh had 18 rebounds to go along with 10 points (3-10), 8 fouls, and 4 TO's

- The Charlotte Hornets DL team in total had 39 fouls on the game (woah)

- Randle was 4-9 with 10 points, 2 rebounds, and 5 TO's.

- DeQuan Jones makin' a name for himself. 14 points on 5-6 shooting with 4 rebounds, 2 steals, and 0 TO's in 16 minutes of reserve action, including one thunderous highlight jam.

Based on these (especially Wiggins/Parker), I'm really not overly upset about Gordon, and really not upset about Payton. Our team did well. Let's just hope that we sign Seth Curry as our 15 roster player (or maybe DeQuan Jones? Seems to be doing well).

Why would anyone be upset with Payton though? He had a good summer league, led assists, shot a high percentage and also rebounded well while building chemistry with oladipo (**** yeah!). I think the Vegas league has bought everyone down to earth about Gordon's performance as a lot of the big names have had really average games as well..

Nice summary of the night!

Edited by Captain Hi-Top
Language

Because the ostensible point of Summer League is to see your rookies and to try out younger D-league level players and get a chance to see what they can do.

"Inexperience players commit lots of fouls" is something that everyone sort of knows already, and 75% of the guards in summer leagues won't rotate on defense basically at all, so there's not much benefit to watching every big man foul out of every game.

Fair enough, still think its a cop out. Just allows defenders to take on fouls instead of letting their player beat them, I would have thought playing a conservative defense would be an element coaches and gm's are looking for, I guess they still can see it and it is reflected in foul totals. Pointless question now.