CTMagicUK

Summer League Thread

I'm not trying to be a trouble-maker or a troll or anything else you guys wanna call me.......Grades from ESPN:

Nerlens Noel, Philadelphia 76ers | Grade: B

Watching the 76ers' summer league team is entertaining if only because this could end up being their actual regular-season roster –- and Noel only helps with that entertainment factor. There aren’t many guys who can re-jump quite like him. That’s part of what makes him so successful on the court -- his ability to leave the ground quicker than everyone else after the initial leap. Monday, he showed that off as a defender, blocking four shots. He also ran the floor as well as any big man in Vegas, finishing on a couple dunks in transition. --Katz

Dante Exum, Utah Jazz | Grade: B

Don’t let the uninspiring stat line 6-and-2 fool you. Exum was quick and decisive in the pick-and-roll, looking more like a veteran practitioner than the “unknown entity” he was labeled as leading up to the draft. While there weren’t nearly as many flashy displays as there were in his debut, Exum showed tonight that there’s some steak with his sizzle. --Foster

Also, ESPN has a video on the front page with Kevin Arnowitz chatting with David Thorpe and Ethan Strauss....He asks them who has been the most impressive and Thorpe immediately says Nerlens and compares him to Anthony Davis...Says he doesn't know if his offense will evolve like Davis but there isn't any reason it can't either.

I'll add that Noel is shooting free throws in summer league at about 75% last I checked...That's a good sign.

Strauss immediately says Dante Exum......And quickly rattles off comparisons to Kobe and Penny Hardaway.

We could have had both guys....Guess we'll all be evaluating the next couple years.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/69724/las-vegas-summer-league-day-4-grades

http://espn.go.com/nba/

So you're going with the grade of B and the talking head comparisons to Kobe and Penny over his actual stat line of 6pts on 2-6 shooting and 2 rbs? Is that how this works now? We form opinions on players based on grades and comps rather than how they actually played?

I got some hang time this weekend with our favorite Twitter friend plus some contacts for the Magic we grew up with.

Main question - why not Exum? Keep in mind these workouts are super secret now compared to the Otis days. Getting real info is very hard even for the employees of the team.

The speculation is that Exum's defense was not on par with Payton. Specifically the Magic believe that he will have to put on some weight or will be getting screened to death. They did not see the effort required to fight through those screens all night in workouts, whereas Payton's defensive ability was considered far superior on screens, pick and rolls and in Iso situations.

The Magic really got excited about the potential of Payton and Gordon's ability to switch on Pick and Rolls. They believe that they could have developed one of the best tandems in the league for stopping that go to play for many teams. To them that is where the league is going - defensive. You need a lineup for guys that never gets lazy and can fight through screens and picks. They did not see that with Exum.

Offensively, they believe that Payton's shot is fixable and that he will be an elite PG once his 3 pointer starts dropping. He has top level speed and is able to get into the paint and is comfortable there. They did not see that comfort level in Exum and believe he will end up at SG long term.

Once again, this is speculated information from people closer to Rob, but nobody there knows the actual plan besides Robs team. So it's the best we can really do right now.

I can just tell you that the Magic definitley knew what they were passing on when they picked Gordon, and they believe they made the right decision.

• Upvote 2

So based on an ESPN grade of Exum you automatically assume Henny didn't do his homework on the PG the Magic wanted? Payton has shown maturity and versatility. Noel hasn't played one real NBA game and you are ready to throw out Oladipo after a successful rookie year? Think about your reasoning here.

His reasoning is that Noel played for Kentucky. It's really that simple. Most - I'll be nice and assume not all - Kentucky fans are like that. Deliriously obsessed with UK players. My brother-in-law still talks about how Antoine Walker was the most talented player he's ever watched. And this is a guy who, when he's being objective, is a terrific basketball mind. I've just learned to ignore anything a Kentucky fan says about UK or their players.

Everyone has a little homerism inside. For some it lurks, for others, it kicks down the doors and announces itself with a bullhorn.

Oh absolutely! I was hopeful for Justin Harper! (I still am a little bit; I can't help it; and I'd still take him over Nicholson)

Do not, under any circumstances, listen to anything I have to say about guys from Richmond. If I'm right, I'll huzzah! all day, and I'll beat my chest like a gorilla. But I know better than to think I'm being objective about U of R guys. It's just a good thing U of R players only get drafted once every 20 years or so. :lol:

Does Exum appear to have potential as a multi-talented offensive weapon? Sure. But so does Giannis Antetokounmpo, and Giannis is certainly not actually an offensive weapon right now(and I don't think he ever will be, but that's an entirely separate discussion). Combine that with the fact that Exum seems to be completely allergic to guarding his man, and I'm just now sure why anyone would think that, right now, he's an obvious superstar in the making.

Hey DOM. I only have one question. Did you have to look up the spelling for Antetokounmpo or did you get it on your first try?

Hey DOM. I only have one question. Did you have to look up the spelling for Antetokounmpo or did you get it on your first try?

I got closer than I thought I would, but I knew it still wasn't right so I went back and looked it up.

Originally, I had written "Atetokunmpo"

I got closer than I thought I would, but I knew it still wasn't right so I went back and looked it up.

Originally, I had written "Atetokunmpo"

After all this time spent learning his name, he owes it to the league to be great.

After all this time spent learning his name, he owes it to the league to be great.

I think it's such a weird name that it's easy to spell

Antetokounmpo

The most difficult part of it is that n that sorta comes out of nowhere. Took me forever to remember that.

I'm still pro-exum but he needs work just like the majority of the rookies.

Heyyyyyyy....No fair !....How come 4thewin can say it and nobody gets upset.......? (lol)

Also, for conversation purposes....I've seen many people critical of Henny over the pick of the "Professor"....For the guys that followed the draft closely that year (not me) if you had it to do over who or whom would have been a better selection for our team ???