CTMagicUK

Summer League Thread

Steve Nash had a way of making his teammates look better than they were.

Justy accept you are wrong about Marion. The guy was a star. If Gordon can do what he did, we will have ourselves a serious player.

• Upvote 1

Justy accept you are wrong about Marion. The guy was a star. If Gordon can do what he did, we will have ourselves a serious player.

Are you familiar with this website?

http://www.basketbal...prob.html?redir

They show the probability of a player being voted into the hall of fame. Marion's probability is 26.53%, one spot above.......Steve Francis at 26.46%.

Shawn Marion was nothing more than a good role player who had the good fortune of playing in Mike D'Antoni's stat padding system with some good point guards in Jason Kidd, Stephon Marbury, and Steve Nash. His stats dropped considerably once he left Phoenix.

Never said he was a Hall of Famer, but he was a multiple All-star player who won rings. Most consider him a star due to that.

They show the probability of a player being voted into the hall of fame. Marion's probability is 26.53%, one spot above.......Steve Francis at 26.46%.

Shawn Marion was nothing more than a good role player who had the good fortune of playing in Mike D'Antoni's stat padding system with some good point guards in Jason Kidd, Stephon Marbury, and Steve Nash. His stats dropped considerably once he left Phoenix.

What a horrible case of spouting random facts to support your erroneous argument.

ah the old bait and switch.

shawn marion had plenty of good years not playing with d'antoni, please stop talking

so karl malone and james worthy should be taken out of the hall of fame because they played in a good system and with great point guards?

I agree that the matrix was not a take over scorer, but he was a great rebounder for someone 6'7. He was a great defender that could guard a lot of positions. And, he could score with out the ball. I would rank him as a star - in a dennis rodman mold (defense and rebounding but much better scorer). Great second or third man on a team.

Shawn Marion was a career 33% shooter from the arc...I had to research it because SportsCenter showed so many of his highlights shooting them that I thought it was higher.

Anyway, am I the only one who thinks a career 42% shooter from the free throw line(Gordon) is gonna struggle to even get close to that 33% percent figure ???

• Upvote 1

I have no idea if Gordon can become an effective 3pt shooter. It would probably be difficult but not unprecedented. The question I would ask is does he need to become a decent 3pt shooter in order to be an effective player? I wouldn't think so.

Ignoring for a second that the link you provided doesn't actually prove anything, there are plenty of players that most people would consider star players that will never sniff the hall of fame.

Shawn Marion was a career 33% shooter from the arc...I had to research it because SportsCenter showed so many of his highlights shooting them that I thought it was higher.

Anyway, am I the only one who thinks a career 42% shooter from the free throw line(Gordon) is gonna struggle to even get close to that 33% percent figure ???

he is the young player in the draft; thus, he can develop. fts are different than 3pt shots. ft can become a mental issue. Ask Nick Anderson.

Shooting is the easies skill to fix. It is not always fixed but there is a history of players that have fixed it.

Never said he was a Hall of Famer, but he was a multiple All-star player who won rings. Most consider him a star due to that.

The players that make all star teams usually play on the best teams, which Phoenix was, and he had good stats due to the 7 seconds to shoot system Phoenix played. An athletic guy like Marion thrived in that system, and he got most of his points on put backs and transition.

Read the quote below about complementary scorer and fourth option on offense. To me, a star player is the guy you go to when you need a bucket, not the fourth option.

It also means that the best way to maximize the offense’s potential isn’t to add another premium scoring option, because it could upset the balance of the offense by taking a chunk of shots away from Dirk, Howard, and Terry. Rather, the solution is to add a few complementary scorers, and nobody plays “complementary scorer” better than Shawn Marion.

In Phoenix, he was technically the fourth option who rarely had plays drawn up for him, yet he flirted with 20ppg in almost every season he played there by channeling the same tenacity that earned him his reputation on defense.

http://bleacherrepor...ans-to-the-mavs