Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

ESPN Chats Thread

Jim (Orlando)

Kevin, my friends say anyone that would take Vonleh over Exum is clueless...Now two weeks before the draft do you still like Vonleh as a better fit for the Magic than Exum ????I'm on record as agreeing with you....Think the shooting with he and Olidipo will be suspect.

Kevin Pelton (3:08 PM)

On purely fit, I like that, but I think Exum is a superior prospect and that's the bigger consideration. So I would favor him or Smart with Orlando's pick

Jim (Orlando)

Kevin, my friends say anyone that would take Vonleh over Exum is clueless...Now two weeks before the draft do you still like Vonleh as a better fit for the Magic than Exum ????I'm on record as agreeing with you....Think the shooting with he and Olidipo will be suspect.

Kevin Pelton (3:08 PM)

On purely fit, I like that, but I think Exum is a superior prospect and that's the bigger consideration. So I would favor him or Smart with Orlando's pick

I think this may be the first positive thing you have posted on Exum.

• Upvote 1

I think this may be the first positive thing you have posted on Exum.

That's what happens when you're incredibly impressionable and just regurgitate the opinions of others.

Just got this month's edition of ESPN the Mag with all of the usual suspects adding input….Pelton, Ford, Elhassan….Cover by the way has Embiid, Wiggins and Parker (no Exum)….After taking a few moments to scan over the material I was really impressed with the content….There's much more stuff in this than what you see on the website……Wish I could copy and paste but it won't let me….My son says it's because they want you to buy it at the newsstand…..Anyway….

The writer's gave their NBA Comparison's for all the top 30 players….Wanted to share a few….Thought they were interesting:

EMBIID….Ceiling - Anthony Davis……Floor - Brook Lopez

WIGGINS….Ceiling - Tracy McGrady…..Floor - Chandler Parsons

PARKER…..Ceiling - Carmelo Anthony…..Floor - Luol Deng

EXUM…..Ceiling - Michael Carter-Williams…..Floor - Andre Miller

VONLEH…..Ceiling - Al Horford….Floor - Markieff Morris

GORDON….Ceiling - Blake Griffin…..Floor - Kenneth Faried

RANDLE…..Ceiling - Lamarcus Aldridge….Floor - David Lee

SMART Ceiling - Russell Westbrook….Floor - Goran Dragic

McDERMOTT….Ceiling - Mike Miller…..Floor - Martell Webster

SARIC….Ceiling - Hedo Turkoglu….Floor - Farouq Aminu

YOUNG….Ceiling - Paul Pierce….Floor - Gordon Heyward

STAUSKAS….Ceiling - Damian Lillard….Floor - Jeremy Lin

PAYTON…..Ceiling - Rajon Rondo…..Floor - Ish Smith

Couple other notes…..Says James Young 3-point percentage was 46% against top 25 teams…..Talks about *Real Plus-Minus and it explains as follows:

"Regular" plus-minus measures the net change in scoring margin while a player is on the floor. So if Lebron James leads the Heat on a 10-0 run and Mario Chalmers is on the court, Chalmers get a plus - 10 rating, just for Lebron being Lebron.

Enter "real" plus-minus, which uses play-by-play data to determine the impact each player has on each possession . So if Chalmers doesn't touch the ball or give up any points during that 10-0 run, then his RPM is zero…..It then mentions the Magic in regards to drafting Exum.

The hope ???….That Exum pushes Aaron Affalo's putrid RPM out of the lineup -- or to another team.

And some of these floors are absolutely ridiculous. If every single player on that list became their "floors" this would be one of the greatest drafts ever

I love that Payton is somewhere between Rajon Rondo and Ish Smith. That's helpful. He's between an allstar point guard and a point guard that is barely in the league.

So Marcus Smart will be as good as westbrook or Dragic, but Exum can only be as good as MCW and still go #4?

I have serious trouble with that logic.

Exum's ceiling is MCW?!? A rookie is his ceiling? We have since one season of MCW and they are using they one season as Exum's ceiling? Sometimes you have to wonder if anyone proof-reads these things before they are printed.

Junkie, thanks for posting this info. It leads to great discussion.

I do believe Randle's floor is Lee, and I also buy Parker's comp. Same with Gordon. Very fun stuff.