Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

What in the Magic's history suggests they could "EVER"

I'll remind that Chad Ford said before the trade deadline that anybody on the Magic roster could be had except for Oladipo….The only keeper we've got since Henny got here.

On a positive note, here's where Mr. Ford and I disagree. Looking at our team, we have some great, young, growing fellas. First, I think Vooch is our best player, and he's got loads of potential. Then we have another young stud in Mr. Harris, who is averaging 18.8 on 54% shooting since Air Panda was bought out. Also in the mix we obviously have Oladipo, who has really flashed as a rookie. Then we must remember Papa Smurf, or Mr. O'Quinn as he's legally known, who I'm growing to love as a solid rotation big. And last but not least, we have Hark, who looks to be an Ariza clone.

To me we need at least two things: 1. A young PG that's solid both ways, and 2. A true, young, number one star.

Interesting question for everyone… How many wins did the Supersonics have Durant's first year? How many wins did that team have Westbrook's first year? How many wins do they have now … and are they a title contender?

Henny has been anything but conservative. I mean, he hasn't been in charge two years yet but there is only one guy still left on our roster from when he took over (Jameer). People laughed at the returns we got from Dwight and JJ but they turned out to be pretty good hauls. Especially since the pick we are receiving from Denver is looking more and more likely to be a lottery pick. This draft is going to shape our franchise for years to come and Rob knows it, let's just wait and see what happens. We all knew this season was going to be a wasted one as far as winning goes. We're just trying to develop the young guys we have while we plan for the future.

LOL, Yeah, I had forgotten about the drunk dial, good examples and I think you've given a fair assessment here.

On Marc Acres post you seemed happy with Henny's drafting and young talent he has acquired….It isn't showing up in the win column as last year we had the worst record in the league and this year we are 3rd from last….And we even have veteran's to help us like Jameer, Affalo who was a borderline All-Star and Glenn Davis.

I'll remind that Chad Ford said before the trade deadline that anybody on the Magic roster could be had except for Olidipo….The only keeper we've got since Henny got here.

I also question how much more money the Devoss family will be willing to spend given how much has been wasted by previous GM's…..You gotta know they are losing incredible amounts owning this team.

And lastly is the credibility issue….When the small market Spurs won Popovich was their coach and he had Olympic Dream Team experiences.

Right now we've got Henny and Vaughn…..Both with "0" experience and "0" credibility.

Guess we'll see…..

You know its funny that you mentioned it Soul because that was the first thing I thought after reading BJ's comment. OKC was 20-62 in their last season in Seattle (with Kevin Durant) and then 23-59 the following year (with Russel Westbrook and Serge Ibaka) for a whopping 3 game improvement. In their 3rd season into their rebuild using a similar formula to how Rob operates they improved to 50-32 (after adding James Harden). How much credibility and experience did Scott Brooks have when they picked him up?

Rob is year 2 into a rebuild. He had a disgruntled star that forced a trade where we had 2 options to work with neither of which was a good one. He had a number 19 pick and a 2nd rounder which he turned into 2 guys that can help the team and fill a role, how many times in our past have we been able to say that about a late draft pick (Justin Harper anyone? James Augustine?) most of the time we draft guys that don't belong in the D league. He had the #2 in a crappy draft and picked one of the handful of guys that actually look like they could turn into something. He turned that trade into a role player and 2 starters, one of which appears to be one of the better centers out there when there are barely any centers in the league. I'm not sure exactly what you were expecting, what would have been a reasonable outcome for you?

We have a team full of support cast guys and a rookie that looks like he could turn into an excellent player heading into a draft where we will have two high picks in a deep draft. Aaron is not a boarderline all-star, he is a solid player that is putting up numbers on a team that has no one else to turn to other than a rookie. If we keep Aaron he will be an excellent compliment to our current young guy and any new ones that we pick up. Our record right now is about right for what this team is, rebuilding and without a go to scorer.

You question how much more the Devos's are willing to spend? You are basing this on the fact that they have spent a lot in the past with bad GM's....does that not sound odd to you? They were willing to spend money on decisions from moron's but they have a guy that is making sound decisions so all of sudden they are not willing to spend anymore? Do you really think a billionaire is worried about a few million?

Chad Ford said everyone is available with the exception of Victor. I would guess that everyone including Victor is available for the right price, Ford's comment is meaningless. We have a bunch of complimentary pieces that are just waiting for us to either draft with the high draft picks an alpha dog or use the cap space from the smart business decisions to get the alpha dog. I don't see what the problem is.

• Upvote 2

You know its funny that you mentioned it Soul because that was the first thing I thought after reading BJ's comment. OKC was 20-62 in their last season in Seattle (with Kevin Durant) and then 23-59 the following year (with Russel Westbrook and Serge Ibaka) for a whopping 3 game improvement. In their 3rd season into their rebuild using a similar formula to how Rob operates they improved to 50-32 (after adding James Harden). How much credibility and experience did Scott Brooks have when they picked him up?

Rob is year 2 into a rebuild. He had a disgruntled star that forced a trade where we had 2 options to work with neither of which was a good one. He had a number 19 pick and a 2nd rounder which he turned into 2 guys that can help the team and fill a role, how many times in our past have we been able to say that about a late draft pick (Justin Harper anyone? James Augustine?) most of the time we draft guys that don't belong in the D league. He had the #2 in a crappy draft and picked one of the handful of guys that actually look like they could turn into something. He turned that trade into a role player and 2 starters, one of which appears to be one of the better centers out there when there are barely any centers in the league. I'm not sure exactly what you were expecting, what would have been a reasonable outcome for you?

We have a team full of support cast guys and a rookie that looks like he could turn into an excellent player heading into a draft where we will have two high picks in a deep draft. Aaron is not a boarderline all-star, he is a solid player that is putting up numbers on a team that has no one else to turn to other than a rookie. If we keep Aaron he will be an excellent compliment to our current young guy and any new ones that we pick up. Our record right now is about right for what this team is, rebuilding and without a go to scorer.

You question how much more the Devos's are willing to spend? You are basing this on the fact that they have spent a lot in the past with bad GM's....does that not sound odd to you? They were willing to spend money on decisions from moron's but they have a guy that is making sound decisions so all of sudden they are not willing to spend anymore? Do you really think a billionaire is worried about a few million?

Chad Ford said everyone is available with the exception of Victor. I would guess that everyone including Victor is available for the right price, Ford's comment is meaningless. We have a bunch of complimentary pieces that are just waiting for us to either draft with the high draft picks an alpha dog or use the cap space from the smart business decisions to get the alpha dog. I don't see what the problem is.

Amen. Some people have just had a hard time ditching the win now mentality we had for years, though most of them have likely just gone into hiding. From the second Rob took over as GM, we all knew this would be the result. A lot of losing right away with the hope of building a long term contender again. The final verdict of his ability to build a winning ball club won't be determined for a few years since he's spent most if not all his time here trying to finish the demolition of the old Otis Smith built Orlando Magic roster. You can't build something new and better without tearing down what stood in its place first. An odd example, but look right here in Orlando where Universal tore down that popular Jaws ride but in its place they are building a new Harry Potter area and ride that will bee 100x more profitable for them and bring in a wider range of customers. Before Rob can actually start building a team, he needed to tear down the trash we had first. With Big Baby now gone, he is all but done with that job and he can seriously begin building a roster with his draft and future cap space.

Soul, perhaps you can ask Junkie these questions, since you are the only one on this forum that he actually responds to.

What exactly does he expect from Hennigan? Specifically. I want to know what moves he wanted to see him make. Who would he have had Hennigan draft? Who did he want to get in return for Howard? Who did he want for Redick? If he is disillusioned with what Hennigan has done up unto this point then there must be things that he would have done differently.

Junkie can do his own bidding. :)

In the meantime, it seems clear that Tobias read this thread prior to tonight's game. Boom!!!

#1 Shaq said from the get go that his dream was to be a Laker. He was gone before he even started playing.

#2 Penny's stardom got to him and was very selfish and hard to handle while he was here. He was trying to run the show and the organization appeased him by firing Brian Hill. Not to mention the big rumor of becoming the NBA's first $200 million player.

#3 T'Mac was all in until the Magic hired a hard headed hockey guy who butted heads with T'Mac.

#4 Howard's stardom got to him and felt he needed to go to a large market team to grow his brand. He signed with Houston because of their Chinese connection.

I don't blame the ownership group and they have actually given GM's the green light to spend.

Like a previous poster said, we went to the finals twice, maybe even a 3rd and won one if Grant Hill had not suffered his devastating injury.

So, we make our two draft picks this summer....Next year we win 52 games....The next year we win 60 games....And than the next year we are NBA Champions !!!

Sounds like a plan.....

Put me on board.....

GO MAGIC !!!!!!!

• Upvote 2

So, we make our two draft picks this summer....Next year we win 52 games....The next year we win 60 games....And than the next year we are NBA Champions !!!

Sounds like a plan.....

Put me on board.....

GO MAGIC !!!!!!!

I think the point was that even with the talents of Durant and Westbrook, the Thunder spent three years in the lottery. We do not have Durant or Westbrook-like talent on the roster. Even if we followed the Thunder's formula exactly, we'd have another lottery year ahead of us, the equivalent of the year they picked Harden. Drafting three superstars is probably not our future, but after next year, I see no reason we shouldn't be back in playoff contention.

I think the point was that even with the talents of Durant and Westbrook, the Thunder spent three years in the lottery. We do not have Durant or Westbrook-like talent on the roster. Even if we followed the Thunder's formula exactly, we'd have another lottery year ahead of us, the equivalent of the year they picked Harden. Drafting three superstars is probably not our future, but after next year, I see no reason we shouldn't be back in playoff contention.

We could easily be in playoff contention next year. Look at the standings.

That was part of my point but more importantly I wanted to show that a certain amount of luck is involved with building a championship contender and luck is a variable that has nothing to do with how good your management is or what you have done in the past. John Gabriel was not a bad GM, he had some bad luck and things went bad. Rob is making good decisions and is putting the team in the best possible position to contend. If he signs a Grant Hill things will get ugly and it won't be because of a mistake he made.

We could easily be in playoff contention next year. Look at the standings.

I'm assuming under "normal" circumstances. I don't want to be in the playoffs with an under .500 record.