Sign in to follow this  
Janders

Glen Big Baby Davis Appreciation Thread

Funny but true article, it was a head scratcher that we ran so many plays for and around BBD. But they summed up his game in one sentence "He’s got a goofy game".

So we do or don't lose his salary against the cap?

I couldn't tell which of the five arguments in that bullet point applied, but the short answer is that either none of his salary costs against the CAP next year, or his CAP hit will be split over the three subsequent years of his contract. So either he counts as about 2.1m next year and the two years after that as well, or he won't count as anything.

Either way, our cap hit is lower next year.

I couldn't tell which of the five arguments in that bullet point applied, but the short answer is that either none of his salary costs against the CAP next year, or his CAP hit will be split over the three subsequent years of his contract. So either he counts as about 2.1m next year and the two years after that as well, or he won't count as anything.

Either way, our cap hit is lower next year.

A buyout doesn’t affect the seasons to which the salary is charged, only the amount.

Chris

With the Magic buying our Glen Davis, will his salary be cleared from the books at the end of this season or will it still count against the cap through the end of 2014-15, when his contract would have expired?

Larry Coon

• I don’t have any information on Davis’ buyout amount yet — it’s possible (but unlikely) they negotiated zero salary protection, in which case he’d come off the books right away.

But it’s more likely they either negotiated a discount or waived him without renegotiating his guarantee. In that event his salary continues to count against the team’s cap this season & next — the same two seasons to which he was signed.

Since he signed under the current CBA, his salary payments are stretched. The team can also elect to stretch his cap hit. Since we’re in the middle of the season, the current season would continue to count against the cap as-is, and next season would be stretched out over three seasons.

Read more at http://www.basketbal...GqakbEqEJvRI.99

Our cap hit will be lower next year, assuming he signs with another team due to set-off.

If another team signs a player who has cleared waivers, the player's original team is allowed to reduce the amount of money it still owes the player (and lower their team salary) by a commensurate amount. This is called the right of set-off. This is true if the player signs with any professional team -- it does not have to be an NBA team. The amount the original team gets to set off is limited to one-half the difference between the player's new salary and the minimum salary for a one-year veteran (if the player is a rookie, then the rookie minimum is used instead).

http://www.cbafaq.co...larycap.htm#Q65

A buyout doesn’t affect the seasons to which the salary is charged, only the amount.

Except when it does. From your own quote:

The team can also elect to stretch his cap hit. Since we’re in the middle of the season, the current season would continue to count against the cap as-is, and next season would be stretched out over three seasons.

Except when it does. From your own quote:

He wasn't stretched.

Steve, I haven’t seen the terms on Big Baby’s release. Did the Magic save any cap room next year (not that I think they’ll use it this summer) or are they paying out the full guaranteed amount for next year? Also, they didn’t stretch it did they?

Steve Kyler

• No savings. No stretch, 100% cap hit next season at $6.6 million. They tried to find a trade partner and simply found no interest.

Read more at http://www.basketbal...kq3VQT0GitiU.99

The only cap savings from next year would be the set-off from whatever another team is willing to pay.

I'll wait until someone who isn't Steve Kyler reports on, well anything really, before I believe anything.

Not that he's necessarily wrong in this particular instance, but the guy first came to prominence on the internet by blatantly making **** up, and then getting indignant when people pointed out that his "trade rumors" violated the CBA.

In an interview Rob said we chose not to stretch the cap hit out.

Not a big surprise since I don't think he is planning on using much if any cap space to go after FA's.