Sign in to follow this  
Soul Bro

2014 Free Agency Watch Thread

I just don't feel that there is any big-named players we would particularly want unless we came out of the draft weak at a certain position. Even more, I see some teams over-paying for talent, but I think with the new luxury tax, that will go away, especially in light of the fact that most teams don't want to spend money they don't have to.

I expect us to be active in minor pieces this season and potentially major pieces next season. However, I told also see us never being overly active as we attempt to just extend the contracts of good players we've already drafted.

Evan Turner is a guy I would give a look at through free agency. Still young and good with the ball in his hands. Pacers can't use him because they already have Lance. No clue what kind of money he will demand I don't think it will anything crazy.

I just don't feel that there is any big-named players we would particularly want unless we came out of the draft weak at a certain position. Even more, I see some teams over-paying for talent, but I think with the new luxury tax, that will go away, especially in light of the fact that most teams don't want to spend money they don't have to.

I expect us to be active in minor pieces this season and potentially major pieces next season. However, I told also see us never being overly active as we attempt to just extend the contracts of good players we've already drafted.

I agree, but at the same time it depends what the aims of the front office are, and how many seasons this rebuild is to last . For instance, year one resulted in 20-62, and year two resulted in 23-59. Is the aim for year three to try and get thirty wins and possibly another top ten lottery pick?

If so, then I'd agree our activity will be limited in free agency this off season. I think Henny and co want to rebuild this team the "right" way, or at least their way by continuing to acquire talent, stockpile draft picks, and free up space. Then pursue a big name free agent in 2015.

However, if we could expedite the process. If we come out of the draft with a combination of Jabari Parker and Dario Saric, then our main position of need is PG. What if we went hard for Kyle Lowry? Unlikely, I know, but imagine this line up and rotation:

Lowry / Nelson

Oladipo / Afflalo

Parker / Harkless

Harris / Saric

Vuc / O'Quinn

Has a nice look to it. Similarly if we draft Exum and Saric, and then make a play for Greg Monroe, we could again end up with a nice looking line up that might challenge for the 7th or 8th seed. The Bobcats went from one of the worst to an above .500 team. So maybe the Magic have their eyes on doing the same thing. Grab another two lottery picks, and grab a borderline all star in free agency to give the team a boost.

That being said, I admire the OKC and Spurs way of building. Draft your stars, keep your stars. It would be nice to see us develop a contender through a line up of players we've mainly drafted, and underrated talent we've acquired via trades.

Evan Turner is a guy I would give a look at through free agency. Still young and good with the ball in his hands. Pacers can't use him because they already have Lance. No clue what kind of money he will demand I don't think it will anything crazy.

It would depend on price. But could he be a cheaper version, or replacement for Afflalo?

Both guys are SG/SF tweeters. So at the right price he could be a useful addition, and the guy does have talent to be a contributor. Not sure what price range he's in.

PADDY? LOL

Autocorrect, this is why I don't usual type on my phone and this is how much I have used Patrick's name in the past, we can blame it on all my Irish mates who I msg, who all seem to be called Paddy.

It would depend on price. But could he be a cheaper version, or replacement for Afflalo?

Both guys are SG/SF tweeters. So at the right price he could be a useful addition, and the guy does have talent to be a contributor. Not sure what price range he's in.

No he couldn't. He'd probably want as much money as Afflalo and he's not half the shooter that Afflalo is. If we had Turner at the 2/3 along with Dipo and our rookie our spacing would be the worst in the league.

No he couldn't. He'd probably want as much money as Afflalo and he's not half the shooter that Afflalo is. If we had Turner at the 2/3 along with Dipo and our rookie our spacing would be the worst in the league.

Never seen much of him to know.

Personally I'd like to keep Afflalo unless we get an offer that is too good to turn down. He's been a good contributor, and I think as this team continues to develop, he could prove to be a good asset at either SG/SF/rotation.

• Upvote 1

Never seen much of him to know.

Personally I'd like to keep Afflalo unless we get an offer that is too good to turn down. He's been a good contributor, and I think as this team continues to develop, he could prove to be a good asset at either SG/SF/rotation.

In going through the free agents list on ESPN, I looked for SG and/or SF who are unrestricted free agents this year (or have an option to be) for guys that put up at least 13/3/3 that we could "replace" AA with. Here is the list:

Luol Deng

Lance Stephenson

Carmelo Anthony

Dwayne Wade

Lebron James

I am sure that there are a few other guys in the league that are not free agents that are also averaging 13/3/3 at the SG/SF positions, like DeMar DeRozan, Paul George, and Bradley Beal: but the truth is, if they are on a rookie contract their team won't consider trading them, and if they aren't on a rookie contract, they are probably making as much or more than AA already. PS - if I boost the cut-off to 15/3/3 then Deng and Stephenson don't make the cut.

Edit: Before someone makes the comment, I am not saying that Afflalo is as good as Anthony, Wade, James, George, etc. - I am saying that we would have a difficult time replacing his contributions with a free agent at a comparable price. If you don't think someone will offer Stephenson at least $9M per, then I want to make a bet with you!

In going through the free agents list on ESPN, I looked for SG and/or SF who are unrestricted free agents this year (or have an option to be) for guys that put up at least 13/3/3 that we could "replace" AA with. Here is the list:

Luol Deng

Lance Stephenson

Carmelo Anthony

Dwayne Wade

Lebron James

I am sure that there are a few other guys in the league that are not free agents that are also averaging 13/3/3 at the SG/SF positions, like DeMar DeRozan, Paul George, and Bradley Beal: but the truth is, if they are on a rookie contract their team won't consider trading them, and if they aren't on a rookie contract, they are probably making as much or more than AA already. PS - if I boost the cut-off to 15/3/3 then Deng and Stephenson don't make the cut.

Edit: Before someone makes the comment, I am not saying that Afflalo is as good as Anthony, Wade, James, George, etc. - I am saying that we would have a difficult time replacing his contributions with a free agent at a comparable price. If you don't think someone will offer Stephenson at least $9M per, then I want to make a bet with you!

I'd go all in for Lance. Even if I did get in a verbal altercation with him a year back at amway and he blocked me on twitter :/