Sign in to follow this  
Soul Bro

2014 Free Agency Watch Thread

Im excited as heck for a big name free agent to come to orlando once again. This years team should be fun to watch. We just have to continue to move in the right direction.

Do we shoot for guys like Lamarcus Aldridge or wait on guys like Durant? I think Derozan is a very interesting future FA we could look at.

Im excited as heck for a big name free agent to come to orlando once again. This years team should be fun to watch. We just have to continue to move in the right direction.

Do we shoot for guys like Lamarcus Aldridge or wait on guys like Durant? I think Derozan is a very interesting future FA we could look at.

Durant would be insane, Aldridge.. could be pretty big, and no thanks on Derozan. I honestly think Victor could be better, but that's just my opinion.

Durant would be insane, Aldridge.. could be pretty big, and no thanks on Derozan. I honestly think Victor could be better, but that's just my opinion.

I am with you on Derozan, much prefer Oladipo over him and then that means overlapping skill set. I am just excited with the roster we have now. Maybe next FA or the one after I will look at some names, but till then I am buckled in for this season and watching the young guys improve as well as seeing what our new signings bring to the table.

What we currently lack is scoring, and Durant is one of the most prolific in the league. If we slotted him into the current line up, we'd have something like:

Payton / Oladipo / Durant / Frye / Vuc

Now that's a decent line up. We'd also have the likes of Harris, Harkless, Gordon and co to come off the bench, and that's without Henny making any further moves in free agency and trades, or taking into account next year's draft. In the east that line up could become a contender if our young players develop as hoped.

But the question is, would we be better upgrading the PF with an all star calibre player and go with one of our existing SFs?

Payton / Oladipo / Harris / Aldridge / Vuc

Now I look at that line up and see potential. Aldridge can be a power scorer and brings good defense; we've got our backcourt with excellent athleticism and defense, plus hopefully improving scoring; and Vuc is a double-double machine. The SF position does have talent, and could always see one or a combination of the existing forwards traded for an upgrade at that position. Our rotation off the bench would be solid, and would only get better with further additions.

Either way adding Durant or Aldridge would give us a star player. Of the two I prefer Durant, he's a star and arguably the second best player in the league behind LeBron. He'd bring a ton of excitement and promise to Orlando, and if given a supporting cast, could lead this team on a dominate run in the East, and hopefully bring us the championship we all want. However, a big guy like Aldridgre would be tough to pass up. He'd improve our team and could help lead it back to where we want it to be. But Durant has the edge.

I am with you on Derozan, much prefer Oladipo over him and then that means overlapping skill set. I am just excited with the roster we have now. Maybe next FA or the one after I will look at some names, but till then I am buckled in for this season and watching the young guys improve as well as seeing what our new signings bring to the table.

Let's say we sign Aldridge in free agency. We already have young talent at PG, SG, SF and C. That could be enough, and a line up like - Payton / Oladipo / Harris / Aldrigdge / Vuc - had potential. But arguably SF would be our weaknesses because Harkless, Harris and Gordon aren't truly star calibre at the minute. Gordon is raw, Harkless hasn't really improved, and Harris is the best of the bunch but will be a RFA and wanting a pay day. So would adding DeRozan into that line up make us stronger?

Payton / Oladipo / DeRozan / Aldridge / Vuc

I think that line up has potential. DeRozan has the size and ability to play SF and would be an upgrade on our existing talents. One might argue our existing talent could develop into talent of the same level, but if we are adding an all star, they will not want to wait for that player to develop. They will want to compete now and DeRozan would give them that.

Plus we currently lack scoring and DeRozan and Aldridge would bring that to the table. Payton and Oladipo can be a defensive double act, they should be good facilitators, and if they improve offensively they'll be good contributors. Vuc rounds off an impressive line up. That starting five has potential to be a contender in the East, especially if Henny strengthens the supporting cast off the bench.

Mike, KD is a once in a lifetime talent. You take him over LA every time and twice on Sunday. Aldridge + DeRozan would be an amazing consolation prize, but I don't see how we could sign BOTH, seeing as they both will be demanding higher pay than they deserve.

I would make Kawhi Leonard our main target. Even Klay Thompson should be affordable.

• Upvote 1

Mike, KD is a once in a lifetime talent. You take him over LA every time and twice on Sunday. Aldridge + DeRozan would be an amazing consolation prize, but I don't see how we could sign BOTH, seeing as they both will be demanding higher pay than they deserve.

I agree that Durant is a once in a lifetime talent and would be my choice of the two. However, he hits UFA in 2016, while Aldridge hits UFA in 2015. The team would need to make a decision on which guy they want to go for, and whether or not they want to take a risk on Durant actually leaving OKC or wanting to chose here over other teams. That's the issue. If we pass on Aldridge, and Durant stays in OKC (which I think he will), then who is left in 2016?

- PG: Mike Conley, Goran Dragic, Damian Lillard ®

- SG: Bradley Beal ®, DeMar DeRozan (player option), Aaron Afflalo, Kobe Bryant

- SF: Kevin Durant, LeBron James, Nicolas Batum, Thaddeus Young

- PF: David Lee

- C: Joakim Noah, Dwight Howard (player option)

There are some good players on this list. Franchise changers would be Durant and LeBron, but if they stay put then Noah would be an excellent signing, and I'm not going to suggest bringing back Howard...

After those guys it would mean making a change at the PG or SG position, and while I'm not against that if it makes us better, I think we will continue to build around the Payton-Oladipo backcourt if they are productive next season like Washington are building around Wall and Beal.

That is my concern by putting all our eggs in the Kevin Durant basket. If he doesn't leave, or goes elsewhere, we pass on a potentially excellent addition like Aldridge. We bring Aldridge in and grab a starting SF either in 2015 or 2016, and we will be well on the way to being a contender again. Granted there's no guarantee Aldridge will leave Portland, but I'd go in for a big name free agent like Aldridge next year because it could be a move that makes us significantly better.

As for signing DeRozan and Aldridge, might not be possible. But if the salary cap keeps going up, and apparently there could be a big increase with the 2016 TV deal, then we could have the space to sign two all star calibre players. Problem would be extending our own without getting into the tax bracket.

I agree that Durant is a once in a lifetime talent and would be my choice of the two. However, he hits UFA in 2016, while Aldridge hits UFA in 2015. The team would need to make a decision on which guy they want to go for, and whether or not they want to take a risk on Durant actually leaving OKC or wanting to chose here over other teams. That's the issue. If we pass on Aldridge, and Durant stays in OKC (which I think he will), then who is left in 2016?

- PG: Mike Conley, Goran Dragic, Damian Lillard ®

- SG: Bradley Beal ®, DeMar DeRozan (player option), Aaron Afflalo, Kobe Bryant

- SF: Kevin Durant, LeBron James, Nicolas Batum, Thaddeus Young

- PF: David Lee

- C: Joakim Noah, Dwight Howard (player option)

There are some good players on this list. Franchise changers would be Durant and LeBron, but if they stay put then Noah would be an excellent signing, and I'm not going to suggest bringing back Howard...

After those guys it would mean making a change at the PG or SG position, and while I'm not against that if it makes us better, I think we will continue to build around the Payton-Oladipo backcourt if they are productive next season like Washington are building around Wall and Beal.

That is my concern by putting all our eggs in the Kevin Durant basket. If he doesn't leave, or goes elsewhere, we pass on a potentially excellent addition like Aldridge. We bring Aldridge in and grab a starting SF either in 2015 or 2016, and we will be well on the way to being a contender again. Granted there's no guarantee Aldridge will leave Portland, but I'd go in for a big name free agent like Aldridge next year because it could be a move that makes us significantly better.

As for signing DeRozan and Aldridge, might not be possible. But if the salary cap keeps going up, and apparently there could be a big increase with the 2016 TV deal, then we could have the space to sign two all star calibre players. Problem would be extending our own without getting into the tax bracket.

I'm not sure about LA. He will turn 30 next year and should have about 3-4 good years left. Are you willing to offer him a max. contract at this point?

I'm not sure about LA. He will turn 30 next year and should have about 3-4 good years left. Are you willing to offer him a max. contract at this point?

It depends how he performs as he ages. A lot decline, but some still remain very productive well into their 30s. Look at Tim Duncan and Dirk Nowitizki. Duncan was a yearly all star until 2011 (34?) and returned in 2013 (36?), and in between has remained one of the best PFs. Dirk remained a yearly all star until 2012 (33) and returned last season 2014 (35), and likewise has remained one of the best PFs.

This off season Miami have gambled on Bosh doing the same, and with Aldridge, I think I'd be willing to gamble a max contract on him. If he can stay healthy, he's got the game to remain productive well into his 30s.

It depends how he performs as he ages. A lot decline, but some still remain very productive well into their 30s. Look at Tim Duncan and Dirk Nowitizki. Duncan was a yearly all star until 2011 (34?) and returned in 2013 (36?), and in between has remained one of the best PFs. Dirk remained a yearly all star until 2012 (33) and returned last season 2014 (35), and likewise has remained one of the best PFs.

This off season Miami have gambled on Bosh doing the same, and with Aldridge, I think I'd be willing to gamble a max contract on him. If he can stay healthy, he's got the game to remain productive well into his 30s.

They are both at least one tier above Aldridge, so can't really compare them.