Sign in to follow this  
Nyce_1

Gerald Wallace opts out....

quote:
CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Charlotte Bobcats forward Gerald Wallace will become an unrestricted free agent Sunday after deciding not to extend his contract for another season.

Wallace's agent, Rob Pelinka, said Tuesday that Wallace -- who led Charlotte in scoring last season at 18.1 points a game -- will explore all options. Wallace, who made just over $5.5 million last season, will likely command at least $10 million a season under a new contract that could run as long as six years.

Vice president of basketball operations Bernie Bickerstaff is expected to fly to Los Angeles to meet with Pelinka shortly after the negotiation period begins Sunday. New general manager Rod Higgins will also be involved in trying to lock up Wallace.

"Rod and Bernie have indicated to me and Gerald that re-signing him is a top priority for their franchise," Pelinka said. "Starting at midnight on July 1, Gerald and I will start evaluating his options and ultimately make a thoughtful decision on what his future will be."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2917333

Three down, one to go!!!

quote:
CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Charlotte Bobcats forward Gerald Wallace will become an unrestricted free agent Sunday after deciding not to extend his contract for another season.

Wallace's agent, Rob Pelinka, said Tuesday that Wallace -- who led Charlotte in scoring last season at 18.1 points a game -- will explore all options. Wallace, who made just over $5.5 million last season, will likely command at least $10 million a season under a new contract that could run as long as six years.

Vice president of basketball operations Bernie Bickerstaff is expected to fly to Los Angeles to meet with Pelinka shortly after the negotiation period begins Sunday. New general manager Rod Higgins will also be involved in trying to lock up Wallace.

"Rod and Bernie have indicated to me and Gerald that re-signing him is a top priority for their franchise," Pelinka said. "Starting at midnight on July 1, Gerald and I will start evaluating his options and ultimately make a thoughtful decision on what his future will be."

Three down, one to go!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Nyce_1:

quote:

Three down, one to go!!!

Hopefully one of the options he explores is the Orlando Magic!!

LOL, doubling his pay! I would say it was a no brainer for him to opt out. It will be nice if he takes a little time to resign and ties them up enough that we have plenty of time to work with whoever we are going after.

Good new's.Otis is gonna have his hand's full come Sunday. I'd be happy with wallace,as long as it doesn't cost us to much.

quote:
Originally posted by Nyce_1:

will likely command at least $10 million a season under a new contract that could run as long as six years.

can he even sign elsewhere for a 6 yr deal? I was under the impression that he could only sign with the same team for 6 yrs under the Bird Player rules or whatever its called in the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

I wouldn't pay him 10 million. For a guy who's missed 60% of his games, we don't need another Grant Hill coming in here......If we can't land Carter, Billups, or Lewis then we should take him on but I don't want to give more than 10 million to a injury prone guy, hopefully we have learned our lesson from Grant.

quote:
Originally posted by Miller4Prez64:

I wouldn't pay him 10 million. For a guy who's missed 60% of his games, we don't need another Grant Hill coming in here......If we can't land Carter, Billups, or Lewis then we should take him on but I don't want to give more than 10 million to a injury prone guy, hopefully we have learned our lesson from Grant.

Where on earth did you get that stat? He has played in 335 out of a possible 492 games. Thats 32% missed games. Most of his injury years were in Sacramento, where he wasn't a major part of their team.

Thank the good Lord! Awesome news, the plot thickens.

Appreciate you posting that Nyce. I'd take this guy before Lewis.

I'd take Lewis too but he'd be my 4th choice of the group.

Go Magic!