Sign in to follow this  
Marc Acres 3:16

Pierce soon to be on the block?

Just my opinion here... Paul Pierce is a fatass who has to tackle guys to win games. People look way too far into how many points a guy can score and neglect how many shot attempts it takes, or their defense, etc. Exactly why Amare is 1st Team All-NBA.

quote:
Originally posted by Live or Die Magic:

He's a great late-game scorer, very clutch. More clutch than VC. But he has a ton of milage on him. I would cringe at having to extend him at some point.

Also, we need players who are very clear about the fact that this is Howard's team. Pierce has been the MAN for nearly his whole career. I would be concerned with how that would affect locker room chemistry.

Totally agree, altho I doubt it would ever get to having to extend him...this paycheck he is on is his last. Hell be 34 and paid in 2010/2011 and its all guarunteed money...BIG MONEY.. it would be like taken on another GHIll contract just shorter.. like I said, this is probally his last payday, especially given mileage.

Not only that, but as also mentioned...this team is heading into a building movement based on a young core and a real TEAM.. adding a guy whos already been the man and commands those numbers wouldnt be the catalyst that we Are looking for to build on.

so basically.... I second that.

quote:
Originally posted by Live or Die Magic:

He's a great late-game scorer, very clutch. More clutch than VC. But he has a ton of milage on him. I would cringe at having to extend him at some point.

Also, we need players who are very clear about the fact that this is Howard's team. Pierce has been the MAN for nearly his whole career. I would be concerned with how that would affect locker room chemistry.

I agree, Pierce is definitely a gamer and money in the cluth. The team chemistry issues don't concern me at all. Pierce has been a team player his entire career going back to KU. The mileage does.

Definetely not interested in him at that price -I think he has already peaked - would be a bad move, but I see no way the Magic go for him - so I'm not worried about that - not sure who would pick up his contract?

quote:
Originally posted by Nyce_1:

Pierce makes as much as KG and Kobe but doesn't produce as much and is injured half the time. It'll be very hard to trade Pierce with a $20M+ contract.

THey can try for a trade exemption if they do...maybe we just give up Garrity, Battie and maybe move hedo with him... that puts us at about 14 million anyways and all we need is almost 13 million

here is his contract numbers before his extension kicks in:

The Celtics will pay Pierce $15.1 million next season and $16.3 million in 2007-08 before the extension goes into effect.

Great quote by Bill Simmons in his chat-

Danny Ainge (Boston): Bill, didn't you hear that Pierce just demanded a trade unless I bring in a big vet, a la O'Neal, KB, or KG??? I should trade him and then take Brewer, right? Your thoughts?

Bill Simmons: I want to live in a world where NBA "franchise players" don't agree to $20 million per year extensions, then demand trades 12 months later.

Here is a funny reply to that one-

Tracy McGrady (Houston, TX): Bill Simmons: (5:39 PM ET ) No, he signed it HOPING they'd do something. Big difference. I'm just tired of guys like Gasol, O'Neal and Pierce *****ing about their teams when part of the team's problem is that they're spending 1/3rd of their cap on guys who aren't franchise players (or in Gasol's case, 1/5th). The whole "get me some help" routine should only work if you're in the class of KG or Kobe and you're a legitimate franchise guy who got screwed over by a GM. Do I count here? John Weisbrod & The Orlando Sentinel tag teamed me out of Orlando, where I'm from.

Bill Simmons: Yeah, you count T-Mac.

So this is what professional sports has turned into? Disgusting!

Any player signed to a max contract should just take his lumps if the team sucks. "I want 20 million per season and I want to play with 4 other all-stars and 3 first round picks. If not, I'm outta here."

Pretty soon, players like Shaq will sign contracts a la Roger Clemens. Sit out half a season and then sign their name on the dotted line to play 50 games for 15 million with the team that has the best chance of winning a championship.

These greedy *******s are going to lose their fan base if they're not careful. Those of us that are required to work year round for our paychecks just can't relate.

Can you imagine if J Allard, corporate vice president for Microsoft, went to Bill Gates and said, "You know Bill, I really appreciate the 50 million dollar annual compensation, but Apple has taken 40% market share from us in the last 3 years. If you don't bring in a couple of flashy design and development associates to get us back on top, I'm going to start playing for the other team."

Pathetic!

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

Any player signed to a max contract should just take his lumps if the team sucks. "I want 20 million per season and I want to play with 4 other all-stars and 3 first round picks. If not, I'm outta here."

Pretty soon, players like Shaq will sign contracts a la Roger Clemens. Sit out half a season and then sign their name on the dotted line to play 50 games for 15 million with the team that has the best chance of winning a championship.

These greedy *******s are going to lose their fan base if they're not careful. Those of us that are required to work year round for our paychecks just can't relate.

Can you imagine if J Allard, corporate vice president for Microsoft, went to Bill Gates and said, "You know Bill, I really appreciate the 50 million dollar annual compensation, but Apple has taken 40% market share from us in the last 3 years. If you don't bring in a couple of flashy design and development associates to get us back on top, I'm going to start playing for the other team."

Pathetic!

I agree it seems Kobe has opened Pandoras box, now all stars are *****ing and it seems they all want to play together while still keeping there 20 million dollar contracts...

They are wondering why they are losing while they sit on there 29 million dollars that could go to get more talent....

quote:
Originally posted by richnba:

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

Pathetic!

I agree it seems Kobe has opened Pandoras box, now all stars are *****ing and it seems they all want to play together while still keeping there 20 million dollar contracts...

They are wondering why they are losing while they sit on there 29 million dollars that could go to get more talent....

At what point are the franchise players expected to be accountable if a team fails?

Hey, hot shot. If you want to take a pay cut, say 10 million, then we'll get you another all-star to play with.

Although, the owners deserve to be blamed also.

But it's the players 12 bedroom mansion that is on CRIBS, driving around town in a different $300,000 car each day of the month, etc.

I guess the owners should ask them point blank what their priorities are. Championship or lavish pad.

And although you can win a championship with two max type players, one of them must be Shaq. No other player in this generation can do what he did. If you're not Shaq, you will need more than just one other all-star to reach the NBA Finals.

I'm just rambling now. Sorry.