Sign in to follow this  
MilitaryMagic

Magic to retain Brian Hill regardless of playoffs

The scary part is not that Otis is saying Hill will be back next year - I was figuring on that. The part that scared me is that Otis says he expects Hill to honor his contract - for 2 more years! Please tell me that if we are at this same place next year, he won't still be saying it is the players' fault!

I really doubt Hill would be able to honor his contract, especially if we continue to lose next year. But hey, with Durant and Oden "said" to be going back for their sophomore year, I wouldn't mind Brian here. icon_wink.gif

You guys know how Otis is. He will never tell the press anything. Never has, never will.

I'll remind you of the Steve Francis situation right up until the last days, "I am not trading Steve Francis"!

What do you think Otis will say with the season in balance and there asking him questions about the coach, "Uh yes sir, I plan on firing Brian if he doesn't get us into the playoffs".

I don't think they'll have any choice but to fire him if we don't get in. As Fendi noted he said everything will have to be reevaluated.

I really think the Magic community will jump Brian Hill if they see him in the streets.

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

You guys know how Otis is. He will never tell the press anything. Never has, never will.

I'll remind you of the Steve Francis situation right up until the last days, "I am not trading Steve Francis"!

What do you think Otis will say with the season in balance and there asking him questions about the coach, "Uh yes sir, I plan on firing Brian if he doesn't get us into the playoffs".

I don't think they'll have any choice but to fire him if we don't get in. As Fendi noted he said everything will have to be reevaluated.

I'd expect Otis to say something along these lines:

"We are holding high expectations for both our players and coaches. If we do not make the playoffs, both will be held accountable. As a general manager, it is my job to put this team in postition to succeed. Currently we are not seeing the kind of success we expected to see and this is as much our players' fault as it is our coaches' fault. Above all, it is my responsibility to fix this."

I didn't expect to see Otis come out and say:

"My coach has done a good job to this point. Our guys have just not played very good basketball."

Placing all blame on the players isn't going to make the players do any better on the basketball court. I've been on-the-fence with Otis all year, but now I can confirm that Otis is an idiot and lacking the experience necessary to motivate his team and coaches.

I mean, this goes back to his Vince Carter Fools Gold comment and the Rashard Lewis "How good is his defense?" comment. Who disses players like this?? Certainly not someone who understands that the NBA is a players' league.

quote:
Originally posted by lavell12:

This just means Otis wants the Magic to make the playoffs because if he says Hill is gone if the Magic don't make the playoffs then the players will tank the rest of the season.

If he says Hill is gone and they remove him - these players will start playing - the problem is BHill - don't you get it - removing him will motivate the players - they are already proving they can't play for him. They have a much better chance of winning without BHill - they are not going to do better with BHill - what are you thinking?

Why can't Otis come out and politically incorrect and tell the truth - if Brian Hill doesn't make an impressive run in this last stretch my foot will be the last thing touching his a*s on the way out the door. This guy has been pitiful and his days are numbered. I want him gone like all the other fans going to the games - that is if they are still going.

I am hoping that this is another instance where Otis is doing the manager thing. He said he wasn't going to trade Steve, he said he had no interest in Vince, I don't think, as a manager you come out in the press and say, yeah, he stinks we are gonna fire him next week.

If I am wrong about this then he is insane. The team is not playing hard and specifically not playing hard for Hill. Your options are change the coach or change the players. Are you going to overhaul an entire roster?

I read it in todays paper...It's pretty sad, it will be nice to have a winning team finally..Whatever it is, they need to fix it..They treat the situation like the NBA is suppose to be balance in having certain teams lose and others win...Quite a few changes need to be made to make this Franchise a contender again, it's been too long since then!!! Fire everybody and keep Dwight, Darko and Trevor..Best place to start.

quote:
Originally posted by XaviInThe407:

I read it in todays paper...It's pretty sad, it will be nice to have a winning team finally..Whatever it is, they need to fix it..They treat the situation like the NBA is suppose to be balance in having certain teams lose and others win...Quite a few changes need to be made to make this Franchise a contender again, it's been too long since then!!! Fire everybody and keep Dwight, Darko and Trevor..Best place to start.

There are pink Elephants in the room that we can't continue to ignore - BHill, Otis Smith and the Owners - the problem is not just BHill. We have some talent on our team, but there is a big pink elephant in the room that everyone wants to ignore and pretend it is not there. Refer to my signature below.

quote:
ESPN had speculated that Hill was being given "extra rope" by owner Rich DeVos because of the circumstances that led to his firing, but Smith quickly nixed that notion.

May be if they give Hill "extra rope" he'll hang himself and the Magic owners won't have to fire him. This is in no way means he'll really hang himself but he'll use that power they've given him to drive the Team so far into the gutter that he'll have to quit. Could we be so lucky?