Sign in to follow this  
jjgator

Vucevic now 5th in the league in rebounding

Glad to see at least a few people see what I was trying to say.

PS - Good to see a win tonight, even though it pretty much means nothing besides hurting our lotto position. It meant something to me though; I was craving a win even if logic says we don't really need it. Go Magic!

Because you still have options, and sometimes, no trade at all is better than a bad trade. Also, I have a feeling that the front office was instructed to trade with L.A., and if that was the case, there is no reason to assume, when dealing from a position of weakness and necessity, that the trade, as constructed was a good trade. Besides the fact that, even if it was the only trade available, if it doesn't measure up to other similar returns for stars in recent trades (think Melo), then it could still not be a good trade.

Last time I looked "good" is not synonymous with "only".

A lot of people want to compare our trade to recent ones, so lets take a peek.

•  
  • Denver gained Wilson Chandler, Raymond Felton, Danilo Gallinari, Timofey Mozgov, the Knicks 2014 first-round draft pick, the Warriors' 2012 second-round pick, the Warriors' 2013 second-round pick and $3 million in cash
  • Denver lost Anthony, Chauncey Billups, Shelden Williams, Anthony Carter and Renaldo Balkman

In comparison:

•  
  • Orlando lost Howard, Clark, Chris Duhon, and Jason Richardson
  • Orlando Gained Arron Afflalo, Nikola Vucevic, Al Harrington, Moe Harkless, Josh McRoberts, Christian Eyenga, 3 (2 if the Lakers keep sucking) protected 1st round picks , 2 second round picks, plus a 17 million dollar trade exemption.

It kills me when people bring up other trades because their is always other factors; the value of the player, who is available, the make-up of of the team, superstar demands/wishes, and etc...

Based on the Melo trade, our deal was a similar deal.

People fail to bring up the fact that Chauncey Billups was part of the Melo deal, so Chauncey and Felton was a wash in value at the time. Therefore, Melo was traded for Wilson Chandler, Danilo Gallinari, Timofey Mozgov, the Knicks 2014 pick (which looks to be a late round pick), plus 2 second round picks.

The trade only gets praise because the nugget did good later. In contrast, the Memphis Grizzlies got blasted for the worst trade ever, BUT in retrospect, it turned into Zach Randoph (trade exemption) and Marc Gasol. The Grizzle are said by some to be contenders, if they keep Gay.

In the Howard trade, I ague, we got both elements of the Denver trade and the Grizzle trade; that made them successful. We got the quality younger talent, Afflalo, Nikola Vucevic, Moe Harkles, Plus 5 picks. We shedded bad players Richardson and Duhon. Then we also got the 17 Million trade exemption.

When looking at all factors and dynamics at the time of the trade. It was a good one, but like the Memphis trade it may take some time to see the full picture. Like they say, only time will tell.

Except that one of the biggest goals the Nuggets when they made that trade was to cut salary, just like ours was.

They cut a massive amount of salary, while we cut hardly any.

We targeted 2014 for salary relief. we will have enough for 2 superstars if any are available- at that time. That is the reason we kept turk. He was number 3 on our list of player to shed, because his contract next year, is an asset and falls off in 2014.

It is also hard to compare, because their is a different CBA. We need to meet the minimal salary threshold and teams place more value in salaries now days because of the tax.

Hennigan's perspective:

for whatever is good or bad, in the end there's no better measure than time ... but IMHO, this trade ain't looking too shabby ... let's see what the future brings ...

I think you can not truly judge a trade until all of the pieces have fallen. This could be years away still. Then you have to also look at the goal of each team that was involved in the trade. If those teams achieve their goal, then you would have to say they succeeded. Their can be multiple winners in trades, and I think generally that is the outcome (Otis exception).

It's worth remembering that most people were projecting Vucevic as turning into something akin to Spencer Hawes before the season started.

That's what his value was when the trade happened: "Could eventually be as useful as Spencer Hawes"

I understand what you're saying here DOM and I would not try to argue that we got anywhere near equal value for Dwight, which is why it really can't be considered a fair trade in terms of value. However, this franchise was hitting the reset button and I'm going to take a guess and say Hennigan either scouted Vuc and/or Moe and had reason to believe they had, lets call it "hidden value" that made them pieces that were attractive to a team starting over. We did also add a player in Afflalo who, like him or not, does have actual value and Harrington who prior to injury has always been a solid contributor. Again, not saying any of this equals Dwight but you can see why Hennigan went this direction and in hindsight he didn't do too bad, especially if Moe becomes a lock down defender and solid starting SF, and say one of the draft picks obtained parlays into a player of value or help us attain a player of value. I also understand that most of that is speculative, so its really too early to tell. For now, lets call it a bad trade that we almost had to make that has the potential to turn out okay.

I've always liked this deal and have disagreed with the notion that "no trade is better than just making any trade". Having Dwight here would get us into the playoffs, not net us a single future prospect, not get rid of a LONGER bad deal such as J-Rich, and would leave a horrible taste in the eyes of fans. To let a guy play here, pay him millions of dollars, and have him disrespect the franchise would have been a slap in the face.

Now was the deal the best? Of course not. I'm not an idiot. But considering all the circumstances involved, I think Hennigan did a damn fine job. Bynum is an injured mess, Iggy would have solved zero, and the guys we got are all already solid rotation players. Do the draft picks kinda blow? Sure. But it's always been about OUR pick while not sacrificing development and keeping morale at a good place.

Not to mention we have more guys that are actually tradeable than I could remember.

I don't know. This whole thing really can't have a concrete answer until years from now, but as of today, I'm a fan. Vuc has been awesome. Harkless looks unpolished, but promising. He's what we all want. A guy who can be a real player. If he doesn't pan out, then oh well. It's the same as landing a lotto pick and having him be a bust. It just happens. I've always had a hard on for McBob, who I would really like to retain to play the 4 & 5 off the bench. He's the Nick Collison type guy we'll need in the future. And Afflalo despite his faults is the best SG outside of JJ we've had since T-Mac unless my mind is playing tricks on me.

And on a final side note, I think JV is a keeper. Guy can just coach, and you can tell the guys love playing for him. We're not going anywhere this year, yet this team still isn't getting blown out with a ton of injuries and circumstances being factored in. We continue to fight, and that boils down to values and coaching.

• Upvote 5

We targeted 2014 for salary relief

No we didn't.

We were going to have 2014 CAP space whether we made a trade or not. The trade didn't give us that asset; it's just an asset the trade didn't lose us. That's hardly a benefit to the trade itself.