Sign in to follow this  
jjgator

Vucevic now 5th in the league in rebounding

I believe it's easier to get better in scoring than rebounding. Plus, he's only 22 which means he's got a lot of time to get better.

Edit: His per48 is the same as Dwight and puts him at 7th place.

Trade looking better and better.

If the Vooch turns into Wilt Chamberlain on a rocket that morphs into an atomic-fireball throwing Michael Jordan, that trade will still have been a **** sandwich.

Trades are judged and should always be judged by present values, not in hindsight.

• Upvote 1

If the Vooch turns into Wilt Chamberlain on a rocket that morphs into an atomic-fireball throwing Michael Jordan, that trade will still have been a **** sandwich.

Trades are judged and should always be judged by present values, not in hindsight.

I'm pretty sure that what jjgator was referring to is that the **** sandwich doesn't taste as bad as what we thought it would. Keeping Dwight for another year would've accomplished nothing other than more dissention on the team, and delaying the rebuilding of the Magic.

That doesn't make any sense, especially for a rebuilding team. Hennigan knew he had more value than people thought, or at least that's the way it seems.

• Upvote 5

I'm pretty sure that what jjgator was referring to is that the **** sandwich doesn't taste as bad as what we thought it would. Keeping Dwight for another year would've accomplished nothing other than more dissention on the team, and delaying the rebuilding of the Magic.

Yes, that is what I meant. I'm not saying the trade was great, but it wasn't quite the garbage a lot of us thought it was.

• Upvote 1

That doesn't make any sense, especially for a rebuilding team. Hennigan knew he had more value than people thought, or at least that's the way it seems.

It makes perfect sense. The PV of our return for Dwight Howard is like swapping Apple stock for a penny stock or junk bond. However it's possible the penny stock could outperform the market if it ends up being a real company. But again that's hindsight.

An analogy, since you're seemingly pretty dense:

I have 1 million dollars worth of stock in a company, lets say Microsoft.

I trade it to you for $100k worth of gasoline.

A month later, the entirety of society collapses, Mad Max style, and gasoline is now the most valuable resource on Earth.

In that scenario, was my original trade a good one? The answer is of course not. I gave you 10x the value I received in return. THAT is what the trade was. Any changes in values to the traded items that occurs after the trade is completely irrelevant to the judgment of the trade itself.

• Upvote 1

Future projections of young players are part of their present value.

The thing that shouldn't factor into an evaluation of a trade in retrospect is if a player outperforms those projections significantly or underperforms significantly.

Ben Wallace turned out to be a much more valuable player than Grant Hill, but that doesn't mean it was a stupid trade on the Magic's part. If you're the Magic, you make that trade 100 times out of 100. Even with the injury concerns, Hill's value at the time made it worth the risk.

It didn't work out, but it wasn't a bad trade.

• Upvote 2

Action failed: You have reached your quota of negative votes for the day

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1