Sign in to follow this  
SmackDaddy

With Free Agency drying up...

quote:
Originally posted by Marc Acres 3:16:

quote:
Originally posted by bhnole:

Crittendon is another but word is his stock is rising and Atlanta will likely take the homegrown PG at #11.

He could drop a little, Acie Law shut down all further work outs after going to Atlanta, usually that means they have been told they will not get past that pick.

True, anything could happen!

I was going to comment on Acie Law, I rate this guy. Connelly without doubt is the no.1 point prospect but for me, very closely followed by Law. I'm really dumbfounded by what were looking at in this draft though, lol. I've been researching my arse off on the guys available and I'm coming to a conclusion to who I'm liking, not specifically for us. Will be interesting.

As for free agency i've been on Wallace all along. In saying I've been on Wallace because the talk on here has been largely based on three prospects. When guys like Mo Williams are mentioned I'm really intrigued to talk about and hear what others have to say. I like what this guy has become. Mo Pete, I wouldn't look at it if we could get a guy like Pietrus or Nocioni. Nocioni is a guy who I'd love, I'd have him before Wallace in fact, but he's restricted. We need to toughen up. I'm really big on the idea of using the cap space on two prospects.

I think Jason Kapono would be a good pickup as a nice role player, especially if we happen to lose Hedo Turkoglu and his shooting ability.

As far as top free agents go, I'm really hoping we pick up Gerald Wallace. He'll be an animal some day.

quote:
Originally posted by D-BoFats:

I think Jason Kapono would be a good pickup as a nice role player, especially if we happen to lose Hedo Turkoglu and his shooting ability.

As far as top free agents go, I'm really hoping we pick up Gerald Wallace. He'll be an animal some day.

Kapono is Pat Garrity before he lost his shot. Can shoot lights out but does little else, Trevor Ariza's eyes lit up everytime he saw Kapono trying to defend him.

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

With reports being posted regarding VC resigning with NJ, Shard prefering the Knicks, Wallace rumored to be untouchable with the Bobcats, and Chauncey not going anywhere in Detroit, what are our options?

We can target a couple of Mo's. Mo Willaims and Mo Pete could both be signed with the cap space that we currently have without trading a single player to make additional room. (Althoug I would still suggest trading Arroyo, Bogans, Fran's rights or any combination to get another servicable big man)

Mo Williams had a breakout season with the Bucks last year and Mo Pete can still provide a bit of scoring punch. Williams and Nelson at the PG position could provide some healthy competition. The same can be said for Pete and JJ at the SG position.

Other options are to go after a player like Pietrus. He is a very solid all-around ball player that could fit in well with our young and improving nucleus.

A trade for JRich or Maggette could also be viable options.

The one singular option that seems to stand out in my head, now tat the big name free agents don't seem to be readily available, is for the Magic to make a deal to trade into the lottery this year. For example, if we were to trade Arroyo & Fran's right to Phily for their #12 pick, we could very easily be looking at Nick Young, Derrick Byers, Thaddesu Young, Javaris Crittendon and possibly Corey brewer is he falls back a bit.

Having traded Arroyo's salary for that of a first round draft pick would free up appx 2 million in salary cap space for next season, would reduce the log jam at the PG position and would give us another young prospect that could either fit in with the Magic's plans or be dealt later.

The problem with all the free agents and trades that are being tossed around is the amount of $$$ it will cost or the players that will be dealt to free up cap space. Unless we are talking about a top 10 NBA talent, I don't see any reason to get rid of Turk, Dooling, Bogans, etc.

Now that we have a coach at the helm that is a proven player developer, why not stack the team with young prospects and see how things shakeout? Then once we have taken a look at Jameer, JJ, Ariza, Darko, etc we can make a determination if there is indeed a missing piece that needs to be added. Until then, we simply don't know what we have. (Thanks again B Hill)

Which direction should the Magic go? Your thoughts?

It makes sense - I really think we have a lot more talent on this team than do others. I think Brian harmed this team a lot more than people realized and Stan will look like a genius if he just doesn't act like an idiot. He already spoke Magic - saying he doesn't want to harp from the sidelines on every play and he wants to let the players play and do what they are good at doing - BHill didn't do that.

Do you think we could get a first rounder for Arroyo - Fran is really not considered worth anything right now - maybe you get lucky and get him and maybe he would be good, but I don't think you can attach any value to him, but taking him on -sure.

A thought to ponder and a tool I'll use to gain exposure to the draft thread, check it out, lol.

Trade Diener and a second round or Frans rights for the Suns 24th and pick up Morris Almond.

Now go check out the draft sticky!

quote:
Originally posted by nbr3345:

A thought to ponder and a tool I'll use to gain exposure to the draft thread, check it out, lol.

Trade Diener and a second round or Frans rights for the Suns 24th and pick up Morris Almond.

Now go check out the draft sticky!

I think the Suns might go for a trade like that as I guess they have expressed interest in Diener - would be better to move Arroyo and his salary, but I like the idea of getting into the first round.

I say make a move for Pietrus or Mo Pete or even both. I think GS are more willing to keep Matt Barnes over Pietrus so we have a chance.

quote:
Forwards Mickael Pietrus and Matt Barnes, both key contributors to the Warriors' playoff success, officially become free agents July 1 and keeping both is unlikely.

Golden State has the option of matching any deal Pietrus receives once it extends him a qualifying offer, but Barnes is free to sign with the highest bidder and could command a team's mid-level exception of more than $5 million a year.

Pietrus is a nyce project. From what the GS fans tell me, we just have to offer him $3.5-$4M and they won't match. Pietrus needs a good coach to help mold him. Nelly is a good coach, but doesn't do much coaching, if that makes sense? Nelly is the Bobby Bowden of the NBA, lol.

Barnes, is WAYYYY overrated. Any team to throw their full MLE at him is dumb. He's a product of their system. Put him elsewhere and he will regress.

Mo Pete would be a solid pick up. I'd take him as our starting SG next to Turkey. He's no top tier FA but he's underrated by many and should come cheap.

If Otis is looking for 2 players, I think he's going with SG and PF/C as the positions he chooses to fill. If the top FAs aren't available, I would be happy with:

Mo Pete

Austin Croshere/Scott Pollard/Verajao (right price)

Pietrus to at that range, dammit!!! Hell yeah. You could pick that up with the mid level and sign Mo Williams with our cap space after resigning Darko.

Pietrus is a player!

And a big is something i've been talking about for some time but no one has been up for discussion.

I say we forget about all those big names and try and get Josh Smith from atlanta ( i know he's not a FA). He's best friends with Dwight and would provide the defense and he's a decent 3 point shot that we need. Atlanta have enough SG/SF's and looks like they'll be drafting another in Noah.

Offer them Nelson (or Arroyo), Battie, Turk, whatever it takes (apart from the obvious)