Sign in to follow this  
SmackDaddy

With Free Agency drying up...

With reports being posted regarding VC resigning with NJ, Shard prefering the Knicks, Wallace rumored to be untouchable with the Bobcats, and Chauncey not going anywhere in Detroit, what are our options?

We can target a couple of Mo's. Mo Willaims and Mo Pete could both be signed with the cap space that we currently have without trading a single player to make additional room. (Althoug I would still suggest trading Arroyo, Bogans, Fran's rights or any combination to get another servicable big man)

Mo Williams had a breakout season with the Bucks last year and Mo Pete can still provide a bit of scoring punch. Williams and Nelson at the PG position could provide some healthy competition. The same can be said for Pete and JJ at the SG position.

Other options are to go after a player like Pietrus. He is a very solid all-around ball player that could fit in well with our young and improving nucleus.

A trade for JRich or Maggette could also be viable options.

The one singular option that seems to stand out in my head, now tat the big name free agents don't seem to be readily available, is for the Magic to make a deal to trade into the lottery this year. For example, if we were to trade Arroyo & Fran's right to Phily for their #12 pick, we could very easily be looking at Nick Young, Derrick Byers, Thaddesu Young, Javaris Crittendon and possibly Corey brewer is he falls back a bit.

Having traded Arroyo's salary for that of a first round draft pick would free up appx 2 million in salary cap space for next season, would reduce the log jam at the PG position and would give us another young prospect that could either fit in with the Magic's plans or be dealt later.

The problem with all the free agents and trades that are being tossed around is the amount of $$$ it will cost or the players that will be dealt to free up cap space. Unless we are talking about a top 10 NBA talent, I don't see any reason to get rid of Turk, Dooling, Bogans, etc.

Now that we have a coach at the helm that is a proven player developer, why not stack the team with young prospects and see how things shakeout? Then once we have taken a look at Jameer, JJ, Ariza, Darko, etc we can make a determination if there is indeed a missing piece that needs to be added. Until then, we simply don't know what we have. (Thanks again B Hill)

Which direction should the Magic go? Your thoughts?

With reports being posted regarding VC resigning with NJ, Shard prefering the Knicks, Wallace rumored to be untouchable with the Bobcats, and Chauncey not going anywhere in Detroit, what are our options?

We can target a couple of Mo's. Mo Willaims and Mo Pete could both be signed with the cap space that we currently have without trading a single player to make additional room. (Althoug I would still suggest trading Arroyo, Bogans, Fran's rights or any combination to get another servicable big man)

Mo Williams had a breakout season with the Bucks last year and Mo Pete can still provide a bit of scoring punch. Williams and Nelson at the PG position could provide some healthy competition. The same can be said for Pete and JJ at the SG position.

Other options are to go after a player like Pietrus. He is a very solid all-around ball player that could fit in well with our young and improving nucleus.

A trade for JRich or Maggette could also be viable options.

The one singular option that seems to stand out in my head, now tat the big name free agents don't seem to be readily available, is for the Magic to make a deal to trade into the lottery this year. For example, if we were to trade Arroyo & Fran's right to Phily for their #12 pick, we could very easily be looking at Nick Young, Derrick Byers, Thaddesu Young, Javaris Crittendon and possibly Corey brewer is he falls back a bit.

Having traded Arroyo's salary for that of a first round draft pick would free up appx 2 million in salary cap space for next season, would reduce the log jam at the PG position and would give us another young prospect that could either fit in with the Magic's plans or be dealt later.

The problem with all the free agents and trades that are being tossed around is the amount of $$$ it will cost or the players that will be dealt to free up cap space. Unless we are talking about a top 10 NBA talent, I don't see any reason to get rid of Turk, Dooling, Bogans, etc.

Now that we have a coach at the helm that is a proven player developer, why not stack the team with young prospects and see how things shakeout? Then once we have taken a look at Jameer, JJ, Ariza, Darko, etc we can make a determination if there is indeed a missing piece that needs to be added. Until then, we simply don't know what we have. (Thanks again B Hill)

Which direction should the Magic go? Your thoughts?

I don't want to mess with the draft, we don't know what we are getting and we have to wait for it to develop, I think we need some vets that are ready to go.

Wouldn't it be nice to know whether or not one of the 4 pg's we have on our roster would work so we didn't have to spend money on Mo Williams? Or to know if we do need to spend money on him while he is available? I'm Fed-Ex'ing a kick in the crotch to NJ right now just for Mr. Hill. Maybe he was working for them all of last season and we just didn't know it.

If we can't get any of the big targets I would see if we could get Mo Pete or Pietrus cheap and see what we can do next year. I REALLY hope it doesn't come down to this.

I like that idea. maybe we could get a guy like al thorton from FSU since hes gonna be a beast. if we could trade int the lottery and just lose a guy like carlos im all for it. but i think other teams would ask for more.

It may take Arroyo, Bogans and both of our 2nd round picks. We have plenty to offer.

Marc - that's an interesting conspiracy theory. B Hill took the Magic coaching job with a sinister agreement in place with the Nets team that he left. He would ruin the Magic's chances of evaluating players and make them think that they could obtain VC through free agency, only to return to NJ as an assistant with the Magic running in circles chasing their tail.

Marc - as a big UF homer, you wouldn't be interested in tradin into the draft to get Corey Brewer?

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

It may take Arroyo, Bogans and both of our 2nd round picks. We have plenty to offer.

Marc - that's an interesting conspiracy theory. B Hill took the Magic coaching job with a sinister agreement in place with the Nets team that he left. He would ruin the Magic's chances of evaluating players and make them think that they could obtain VC through free agency, only to return to NJ as an assistant with the Magic running in circles chasing their tail.

Marc - as a big UF homer, you wouldn't be interested in tradin into the draft to get Corey Brewer?

I would saw off my arm to get him, but it's looking like he doesn't get past Boston at #5, I don't think Boston loves Carlos so much they would give up the 5.

quote:
Originally posted by Marc Acres 3:16:

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

I would saw off my arm to get him, but it's looking like he doesn't get past Boston at #5, I don't think Boston loves Carlos so much they would give up the 5.

You don't think they'd take Turk and acombination of 2nd round picks for the #5?

They may not, but we still have plenty to offer.

Maybe we deal them Arroyo, Turk & our 2nd round picks for their #5 and take Telfair off their hands.

I'm just throwing this stuff out there, but it seems like we should be able to get into the first round if we want to. And personally, I would prefer to dump some of our guys and take on the much smaller contract of a first round pick as opposed to committing to the much larger contract of any free agent.

The thing is, if we really are going with the youth movement, than we shoud stack our team full of youth. This especially applies since we all seem to think that the team is 2-3 years away from competing for a title without a BIG NAME free agent. And with big name free agents getting more and more sparce by the minute, we may have no choice but to wait for Dwight, JJ, Darko, Ariza (maybe Jameer) to develop into contenders.

I think you can forget about getting anywhere near the top 10 picks, teams always want a ransom for lottery pick. Our best bet is what we did in getting Jameer, hope a nice player falls to the point where we can pick up the pick cheaper.

If Thornton pulled a Danny Granger and fell out of the lottery, I would support going after him.

Crittendon is another but word is his stock is rising and Atlanta will likely take the homegrown PG at #11.

I think the world will be surprised if Rashard winds up with the Knicks.

Gerald Wallace is untouchable with the Bobcats? I hadn't heard that. Hopefully this rumor winds up being false.

As for Vince, I don't think our team had him in a high regard, he realized that, and that is why he is probably going back without even waiting for the free agent period.

If all three of these guys are gone it's not the end of the world and we can still grab some other people. Mo Williams and Morris Peterson come to mind.

quote:
Originally posted by bhnole:

Crittendon is another but word is his stock is rising and Atlanta will likely take the homegrown PG at #11.

He could drop a little, Acie Law shut down all further work outs after going to Atlanta, usually that means they have been told they will not get past that pick.