Sign in to follow this  
A Better DJ & Photographer

5 months after the trades... how do you feel about the team

Rate our trade now that the season is rolling along  

43 members have voted

1. 1. were the trades great, good, bad, terrible?

• great- the moves we made set us up to return to greatness the fastest way possible
    • good- we might be OK
    • bad- we should have kept Dwight 1 more season
    • terrible- we will suck forever

what if we buy/trade for an allstar with the 17mil trade exemption? Then what are your thoughts?

I did not mean for my post to sound like I was disappointed in the trades. If you read the last sentence it clearly said that we still don't know how good the end results could be. As far as getting an all star for the TE, that would be unlikely, but anything is possible.

I'd literally hate us to trade for an all star! Why? Because there will be nobody available who could lead this team to a championship. At best you'll be able to get fringe all-stars like Monta Ellis, Al Jefferson, Paul Millsap, Brandon Jennings. Nobody is going to be giving away a Melo or Lebron or KD, especially considering we have nothing of value to trade.

Stick to rebuilding. The only way we're winning a championship is by drafting a super star or signing one in free agency and since there isn't a superstar free agent coming around any time soon (besides Dwight or CP3 who will both probably either reup in LA or unite in Dallas.) we should just continue to do what we're doing. Showcase the vets and develop the young guys.

True

What's the flavor of the Kool-Aid some of you are drinking?

Since I bought a ticket, it's possible that I will win the lottery tonight, but just as the Magic winding up with an all star with the TE, it's unlikely.

We have slipped by Philadelphia into 9th place in the east. Five months ago, did anyone think we would be doing anywhere near as well as we are?

Well being a hard fan... I wasnt ever going to say that we would "Tank" or "Not" make the playoffs until the loss record shows me wrong.

But I also have the ability to stand back and look at this from an outsiders view. And from that view.... No.... 5 months ago there wasnt a chance in Donald Trumps hair that we would even think about the playoffs. Let alone do well in any of the NBA team stats. I mean looking at the roster, there wasnt really anything to be excited about.

However as with life, you still have to put in the work. You still have to play and execute and winning is not a given. The team I envisioned 5 months ago is not the same team I have been watching so far this season.

Its been a great, fun and exciting surprise.

When the trade was about to happen, my wish was:

Howard + Duhon + Turkoglu + Richardson

for

young players with potential (could be Vucevic, Morre) + rookies (Harkless) + future lottery picks + expirings

When all was said and done, I liked:

- Vucevic / Moore / Harkless

- The amount of picks

- Sending out Duhon and Richardson

- Keeping BBD and Redick

I was torn about:

- Bringing Afflalo. Have always thought highly of him as a player, but just didn't see the point of basic rebuilding with quality guys. It was supposed to be all potential, raw, upside. Not ready guys like Arron

- Keeping Nelson. Never a good defender, and has been continually declining since 10 playoffs. At the same time, always a positive leader and can be really good offensively from time to time.

I disliked:

- Bringing Harrington. Not an expiring contract, a perennial scorer for losing teams.

- Keeping Turkoglu. I think he was a great player once, but nowadays he is almost useless and taking valuable minutes away from youngsters.

- The quality of the draft picks received

- Letting Anderson go. Price was really a lot for a guy his caliber, but was starting to blossom here, and still very young and overachieving (except in the postseason).

As it turns out, hopefully the model for rebuilding is not just being atrocious and running into the #1 pick, but building a good core from scratch and adding a few pieces. Me, personally, I would like NOT TO MAKE ANY TRADES for a long time, and just build through the draft and getting a huge FA when the time comes.

Meanwhile, seeing this team competing for a playoffs spot and with an explosive offense is not too shabby. Certainly not dreamlike, but not a bad scenario after Howard practically destroyed the franchise.

I think we're set up well long term and can build around Vucc/Harkless/Nicholson/Moore we have to find a superstar player, preferably at PG or SG. hoping for Wiggins or Harrison in 2014

we'll have 2 first rounders atleast in 2014, widely regarded as the best draft in a long time

What matters is that the FO had a plan. And that's a huge step in the right direction.

They got return to the DH expiring contract along the lines of what they wanted, not what was 'available' in the minds of random onlookers or random valuators.

Their performance exceeds expectations.

Well being a hard fan... I wasnt ever going to say that we would "Tank" or "Not" make the playoffs until the loss record shows me wrong.

But I also have the ability to stand back and look at this from an outsiders view. And from that view.... No.... 5 months ago there wasnt a chance in Donald Trumps hair that we would even think about the playoffs. Let alone do well in any of the NBA team stats. I mean looking at the roster, there wasnt really anything to be excited about.

Speak for yourself. There was a thread about this 5 months ago in which I and a few others said we thought the team could compete for a 7-8 spot. go look and see who jumped into the herd saying we would definitely suck, and mocked anyone who thought otherwise. It's a good read.

A lot of you don't understand the Spurs process and how they build their teams and their offense. You think you do, but you don't. Go back and look, I explained it months ago.

I am not surprised by this team at all.

Speak for yourself. There was a thread about this 5 months ago in which I and a few others said we thought the team could compete for a 7-8 spot. go look and see who jumped into the herd saying we would definitely suck, and mocked anyone who thought otherwise. It's a good read.

A lot of you don't understand the Spurs process and how they build their teams and their offense. You think you do, but you don't. Go back and look, I explained it months ago.

I am not surprised by this team at all.

Well I was speaking for myself....lol And to proceed further if you want to look back, im also one of the guys who said that this team will make the playoffs. I even think I had a discussion in the Chat room with either O of Beast about making the playoffs.

With that said, you misunderstood my statement all together. Because I clearly stated that if I took a step back and looked at this from an "OUTSIDERS VIEW", then the answer to the given question would of been different.