barnettej

2012 Orlando Magic Regular Season Thread

Case in point, when I say "Bulls," you probably think "Michael Jordan." Jazz = Karl Malone and John Stockton. Spurs = Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, David Robinson. Lakers = Kobe, Magic, Kareem. And so on.

To be honest you don't think those names just because the guy played their for a long time. For example if I said Detroit who would you think? Probably not Tayshaun Prince who has been there his entire career. But probably Isiah Thomas, maybe Chauncey Billups or Ben Wallace. The point is JJ is a good player who is probably at the height of his career right now, but almost every guy you mentioned is or will be in the Hall of Fame. Even if we did resign JJ now, I doubt in 20 years time he will be the first name that pops into people's heads when you say Orlando Magic.

I just want to add one thing to the "trade JJ" argument. There's something to be said about having a player play their career in one uniform. To other players, it means that team is stable and that ownership and management is loyal to their players (at least players that play hard for them). That doesn't mean they don't let people walk in the twilight of their careers, but still - loyalty means something, even in a business.

Case in point, when I say "Bulls," you probably think "Michael Jordan." Jazz = Karl Malone and John Stockton. Spurs = Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, David Robinson. Lakers = Kobe, Magic, Kareem. And so on.

The Magic have a reputation of losing guys right when they get good, or right when they hit their playing/winning prime; blowing up the team; having bad managers; and so it goes.

I like JJ and he plays hard for us. Like Jameer, there's payoffs for having a guy like that on your team that don't always fill out a stat sheet or the financial bottom line. At this point? I'd rather lose AA than JJ.

The thing is, JJ is not even on the same planet as Jordan, Magic, Stockton, or any of the others you mentioned. JJ is a role player. No one gives a **** about role players after they retire.

Look, I like JJ, but this franchise isn't anywhere near contending and by the time it is again, JJ will be past his prime. I'd rather let him go to a contending team now and compete for a title while we continue our rebuilding movement. He's really not someone you keep around to rebuild and that's not a knock on him.

The thing is, JJ is not even on the same planet as Jordan, Magic, Stockton, or any of the others you mentioned. JJ is a role player. No one gives a **** about role players after they retire.

Look, I like JJ, but this franchise isn't anywhere near contending and by the time it is again, JJ will be past his prime. I'd rather let him go to a contending team now and compete for a title while we continue our rebuilding movement. He's really not someone you keep around to rebuild and that's not a knock on him.

I disagree. He's probably going to make a run at sixth man of the year and if the Magic sneak into the playoffs, there's a good chance he could get it, especially if he has one of those "holy crap, he's hitting everything games" in a game against a true contender.

If JJ's contract is what his last one was, I'm all for keeping him. If he wants upwards of 10+, unless we trade AA (PLEASE!), then it's time to move on.

JJ's leadership and work ethic are two things you definitely want on a rebuilding team. Look at the Wizards and other teams who have tried to build without guys like JJ and Jameer. They suck.

I disagree. He's probably going to make a run at sixth man of the year and if the Magic sneak into the playoffs, there's a good chance he could get it, especially if he has one of those "holy crap, he's hitting everything games" in a game against a true contender.

If JJ's contract is what his last one was, I'm all for keeping him. If he wants upwards of 10+, unless we trade AA (PLEASE!), then it's time to move on.

JJ's leadership and work ethic are two things you definitely want on a rebuilding team. Look at the Wizards and other teams who have tried to build without guys like JJ and Jameer. They suck.

JJ is one of the best three point shooters on the planet and can't even get a look-in for the 3 point shooting contest at all-star weekend. If he wins 6th Man of the year I'll be incredibly surprised. And if we do make the playoffs (which I don't think we will personally) and JJ does have a great game in the playoffs that will only increase his price on the open market.

A lot of conjecture in that post.

JJ won't win 6th Man of the Year. There are 3 guys out west that will beat him out- Jamaal Crawford, Kevin Martin, and Manu Ginobili. JJ won't beat these guys out, especially when he's on a team that isn't contending.

I like JJ, but not even he would have saved the Wizards from being awful.

The beautiful thing is I'm sure Henny has a plan and will work that plan. A plan that is strategic, systematic and sustainable. And... for the first time in FOREVER I trust our GM. If it means trading JJ, as much as I think he's a great person with whom to build a culture of winning, I'll be alright. I'll be shocked if we keep both JJ and AA. Who would I rather keep? Not sure right now.

The beautiful thing is I'm sure Henny has a plan and will work that plan. A plan that is strategic, systematic and sustainable. And... for the first time in FOREVER I trust our GM. If it means trading JJ, as much as I think he's a great person with whom to build a culture of winning, I'll be alright. I'll be shocked if we keep both JJ and AA. Who would I rather keep? Not sure right now.

I can't actually count how many times I've actually heard Rob say those exact same words. It's hard to trust guys like that who are in charge and have to make tough decisions but I genuinely do. I really think Rob will mold this team into a title contender.

I agree 100%, but remember when we all thought Otis was a baller when he signed Bass away from Dallas, and then matched Dallas for Gortat? The whole "Otis putting on his pokerface". :shard:

I agree 100%, but remember when we all thought Otis was a baller when he signed Bass away from Dallas, and then matched Dallas for Gortat? The whole "Otis putting on his pokerface". smile_shardhappy.png

Lol. The good 'ole days. Then he did some awful things like sign Duhon and Q to multi-year deals and committed two awful, awful trades. The tyranny of the urgent and Dwight's ego steamrolled Otiz. smile_crabwalk.gif

I agree 100%, but remember when we all thought Otis was a baller when he signed Bass away from Dallas, and then matched Dallas for Gortat? The whole "Otis putting on his pokerface". :shard:/>/>/>

That's where my head's at too. The previous GMs just burned too much trust. No more blind trust: I'll wait until the "Grand Design" actually happens.

And I STILL say we hold onto JJ.

My earlier point was less "JJ is a superstar the equal of Jordan," and more "there is the perception that the Magic will let stars go strictly on a business decision rather than display any loyalty." I could point to the legit superstars we've straight-up traded or didn't match for, the good players (like Ben Wallace) that 'popped' the second they left the Magic, and yes, even the role-players that made us contenders during the good years (Nick, Armstrong, Ryno).

If it happens a couple times, hey: it's just business. When it happens again and again and again, under any number of GMs, it starts to look like the owner is a.) heavily involved and b.) ignorant of basketball.

Players see that and don't want to come here.