barnettej

2012 Orlando Magic Regular Season Thread

This is a nice article from Grantland about the Magic chance's at making the playoffs:

http://www.grantland...ke-the-playoffs

Even the harshest critics of the return Orlando got in the Dwight Howard deal had to concede this: The Magic’s own horrid play would land them at least one really good shot at the no. 1 pick, the most valuable commodity in the sport. Even if the mid-tier players and mid-tier picks the Magic received from Denver and Philadelphia didn’t work out as hoped, they’d at least have their own stockpile of lottery deliciousness.

But after a 5-10 start that featured some ugly blowouts and a key injury to Jameer Nelson, the Magic have moved to 12-13 and injected themselves into the playoff race. John Hollinger gives the Magic a 71 percent chance of snagging a playoff spot, even though a relatively easy early-season schedule has helped fuel this solid start. It’s a fair question now: Could the Magic actually make the playoffs? Three trends suggest it might not be so crazy, even if executives and scouts around the league are almost universally skeptical — for reasons both of talent and motivation as we approach the trade deadline.

• Orlando’s own fantastic defense. The Magic, having lost Dwight Howard and a defensive mastermind coach in Stan Van Gundy, rank sixth in points allowed per possession. Each member of of last year’s top-10 overall in that category made the postseason, and 91 of 100 such teams did so in the last 10 seasons. It's very hard to miss the playoffs with a top-10 defense.

They’ve been even better since getting Nelson back, re-jiggering their rotation, and getting better minutes from Nikola Vucevic, Gustavo Ayon, and some other unheralded pieces; over their last 10 games, the Magic have given up just 95.2 points per 100 possessions, a mark that would top the league for the season.

This is a nice article from Grantland about the Magic chance's at making the playoffs:

http://www.grantland...ke-the-playoffs

Hollinger seems to be a bandwagon jumper

First he says that the Big Baby-Brandon Bass switcheroo was much better for the Celtics than for us, now he says we have a 71% chance of making the playoffs... I don't even think BonaBum would say something so outrageous.

I think we could finish in the 9th spot, but there are 8 teams that are CLEARLY better than us and barring any key injuries we will NOT make the playoffs.

Hollinger seems to be a bandwagon jumper

First he says that the Big Baby-Brandon Bass switcheroo was much better for the Celtics than for us, now he says we have a 71% chance of making the playoffs... I don't even think BonaBum would say something so outrageous.

I think we could finish in the 9th spot, but there are 8 teams that are CLEARLY better than us and barring any key injuries we will NOT make the playoffs.

He didn't "say" it. He's a numbers guy, and he has a playoff odds numbers system that does it for him. The NUMBERS have us with a 71 percent chance of making the playoffs as of this point in the season. Nothing to do with his opinion.

• Upvote 3

Yeah, John doesn't attatch stuff without numbers.

Two wins over the Warriors, one against the Lakers, the Nuggets, and the Timberwolves. It remains to be seen how we play without Glen, but we're a playoff team at full strength. 11-6 with a handful of wins to be proud of. Of coursed mixed with the Pistons, Suns, Wizards, Bobcats and Cavaliers of the world.

Yeahhhhhh...but we haven't played them for the second and third time respectively yet, much less beat them, so you can't really hold that against our current record. Not saying we're a dynasty in the making, but also don't think its fair to factor our future schedule into our weighted success yet.

we have a few quality wins, but we've also been blown out by the Nets (lost 3 times in fact), Spurs, and T'wolves earlier. We've also lost to Toronto and Sacramento. And yes we beat the Lakers but only on paper.

I will say this, if we can somehow maintain .500 in January where the schedule gets much, much tougher, then yes I would be confident to say we are a playoff team.

we have a few quality wins, but we've also been blown out by the Nets (lost 3 times in fact), Spurs, and T'wolves earlier. We've also lost to Toronto and Sacramento. And yes we beat the Lakers but only on paper.

I will say this, if we can somehow maintain .500 in January where the schedule gets much, much tougher, then yes I would be confident to say we are a playoff team.

I think you can throw out all losses without Jameer in the line-up.

When healthy we are a 7th-8th seeded team in the East. We haven't even had Turk or Al yet. If this is the team we end the season with (which I doubt) I believe this team makes it in. Why? Because Vaughn has gotten this team to buy into defense

When healthy we are a 7th-8th seeded team in the East. We haven't even had Turk or Al yet. If this is the team we end the season with (which I doubt) I believe this team makes it in. Why? Because Vaughn has gotten this team to buy into defense

Lol, you think Turk will make us better?