AddiFB

The Tumbleweed Hangout: Post-Dwight Era discussion

Nice interview with AA

Arron Afflalo: "I don't think there's a better place for me at this time than Orlando"

How did you find out about the trade to Orlando?

Arron Afflalo: Actually I was in Barcelona and found out on the Internet pretty much [laughs].

Have the Magic reached out to you?

AA: No, not yet. Probably because of the time difference and the phone situation, it's been difficult. I'll be back in the States soon.

So are you happy about it?

AA: Yeah, I'm happy. I just wanted to thank the Denver organization, the teammates that you play with, the fans, but I think it's a great opportunity there in Orlando from a player standpoint. With the coaching change and the management change, I think it's a great time to be a part of the organization.

You have been to the playoffs since you entered the NBA. That's probably not going to happen in Orlando next season. How is it going to a rebuilding situation?

AA: Well, you never know. You have to get there and play the game. I don't know what the expectations are from the fans, people around the league, or the media... But I fully expect to win every time I step on the court. So you never know. Playoffs kind of take shape throughout the year. I don't think it's a definite that a team will not make the playoffs.

In Denver and Detroit, you were mostly focused on defense and three-pointers. Are you expecting a bigger role in Orlando, getting more opportunities on the offensive end?

AA: Of course. I plan on being the best player I can be, period. I'd love to continue to grow as a person and as a player offensively and defensively. Personally I don't think there's a better place to do it at this time than Orlando.

This is going to be your second trade. When you were traded to the Nuggets, how did you take it at first?

AA: That was just something that was probably necessary for me at the time, considering the Detroit players who were under contract and playing ahead of me. This time that I've been traded, I have a much better opportunity to continue to grow. And from that standpoint I'm happy.

What do you know about new coach Jacque Vaughn?

AA: He played at Kansas, I was always a fan of his game, he was a good point guard. He's come from great teaching under Gregg Popovich in San Antonio. He's got the mental aspects of the game figured out from a player and coaching standpoint. They wouldn't have hired him if they didn't believe so.

You had a career-high in scoring last year. Does it make you feel better that you were able to prove your worth after signing the big contract?

AA: It's just a process. I've always personally felt that I've got to continue to get better. So I expect to improve not just offensively but defensively as well and from a leadership standpoint. Every year that's my goal: Push my talent as far as I can go.

Do you have any message for the fans in Orlando?

AA: I'm excited. It's definitely a new day. I'm very happy and appreciative of the opportunity to be there and represent that city to the fullest.

• Upvote 1

Even tho it's all finally said and done, it still hurts. It's like seeing your ex GF with someone new. You she she's happy all while you're still trying to recover picking up the pieces. In the end it's going to be the sweetest championship we as Magic fans will ever taste, it's the waiting part thats going to be rough.

I'll admit, it is kind of nice going into this season with no expectations of reaching the playoffs so each W will be nice and each L we won't hae any panic threads.

Even tho it's all finally said and done, it still hurts. It's like seeing your ex GF with someone new. You she she's happy all while you're still trying to recover picking up the pieces. In the end it's going to be the sweetest championship we as Magic fans will ever taste, it's the waiting part thats going to be rough.

I'll admit, it is kind of nice going into this season with no expectations of reaching the playoffs so each W will be nice and each L we won't hae any panic threads.

Actually, each W will make me mad and the L's will keep a smile on my face. I'm expecting complete suck for 2 yrs then back in the title hunt in year 3. Season of 2014-15 is when we make a big jump back into the scene.

Wiggins/Harkless/Nicholson

I wouldn't mind watching that :D

And personally, I'm a fan of McBob.

This deal is almost a replica of the Nuggets trade. New Orleans nor Denver got a superstar back in any deal and they ended up just fine. Hell, Faried, one of their brightest young stars was a late round pick.

Just shutup with your negativity and shortsighted views of this deal.

If we end up with Wiggins, Nicholson, and Harkless in 2 years and they're all balling their brains out you'll be kissing Hennigans feets.

aren't you suppose to change your sig bud?

I don't think this is a final product just yet! Just the way this deal sits right now, we have moved forward in parting with crap players with even worse contract; ex JRich, Duhon and a clean sweep would be Hedo, but that can be resolved going into 2014! Harrington is basically a buy out in 2014 and I can not determine what the caproom is that we will have, but it is much better the way it exist right now!

As Henny said.....this is just the start of the process! Now keep digging, I like the deal because all we have is potential.......in lieu of aging players with bad bodies and contracts! Good start for the future, again it is not so much a trade for what comes back to us in talent, if that was the case, we could settled for the slow, broken foot 7 ft C from Brklyn!!! We are building a future here and I like what I see so far!