Live or Die Magic

2012 MAGIC Offseason Thread

The biggest thing that stuck out to me is what a lot of reports and people on this board have been saying all along. Alex Martins is an idiot and knows zilch about basketball. I don't feel great about the future of this organization until he is gone because Hennigan is going to be handcuffed in his moves because he answers to a guy who doesn't have a clue. I believe everything SVG said and Alex needs to go now. I really think Devos needs to go too because this guy has repeatedly hired people in the front office who have made our team the punchline of a a lot of jokes.

As long as those playoff gates from deep playoff runs keep coming in, they won't be breaking that team up

That's not true at all they don't have large enough tv contracts to withstand the new CBA luxury tax rules when they start kicking in. It will change the league and I'm glad because that was the whole point of it. Most people don't realize the rules haven't even come into effect yet but teams are going to have some big decisions when they do. Sold out arenas don't generate enough money and even the Lakers may decide it's to rich for their blood.

• Upvote 1

The biggest thing that stuck out to me is what a lot of reports and people on this board have been saying all along. Alex Martins is an idiot and knows zilch about basketball. I don't feel great about the future of this organization until he is gone because Hennigan is going to be handcuffed in his moves because he answers to a guy who doesn't have a clue. I believe everything SVG said and Alex needs to go now. I really think Devos needs to go too because this guy has repeatedly hired people in the front office who have made our team the punchline of a a lot of jokes.

I hate posts like these that call for Martins or the Devos' heads. It it beyond stupid to me. Without either of them, the Magic may not still be in Orlando. Without them, Dwight would have been traded by Otis for Brook freaking Lopez. How do you think Hennigan will be handcuffed in his moves? He has basically free reign to shape this team however he wants. You want to get rid of an owner that has no problem spending to make moves that put us in a position to win? You think any of these recent hires make the Magic look like the punchline? I feel like ownership is actually making smart moves that will set us up for future success, I don't know what you're thinking.

• Upvote 1

I hate posts like these that call for Martins or the Devos' heads. It it beyond stupid to me. Without either of them, the Magic may not still be in Orlando. Without them, Dwight would have been traded by Otis for Brook freaking Lopez. How do you think Hennigan will be handcuffed in his moves? He has basically free reign to shape this team however he wants. You want to get rid of an owner that has no problem spending to make moves that put us in a position to win? You think any of these recent hires make the Magic look like the punchline? I feel like ownership is actually making smart moves that will set us up for future success, I don't know what you're thinking.

Did you listen to SVG's interview? I'm guessing not, he basically said nobody could do their jobs because Martins was in charge and that he doesn't know ANYTHING about basketball. That wasn't me that is SVG a top 10 coach who has always been extremely honest with the media. Yes Devos is willing to spend money does that make him a great owner? That is the dumbest argument ever, I would rather have a frugal owner who spent it the right way than an owner who just overpays everyone and takes other teams aging, overpaid trash and gives away our young assets. Do you want me to go through some of these monumental boneheaded moves that HAVE made this franchise a punchline? Do you really think Dwight Howard for Moe Harkless,Affalo, and Vucevic was the best deal out there? Please Devos thinks of Dwight as a son and he didn't have the balls to send him somewhere he didn't want to be.

I don't wanna hear Dwight handcuffed us..... Chris Paul,Carmelo,Deron all had very limited teams they would go to and they ALL got better offers. The crazy thing is Dwight holds better value than all of those guys. I don't blame Hennigan and if you think Hennigan is free to do whatever he wants than you are more naive than I first thought. I'm talking about the body of work as a whole(I like Hennigan) but we ran off SVG for Greg Vaughn. I like Vaughn but he is nowhere on the same level and honestly their are 2-3 other guys who would have been better hires. The boneheaded moves the FRANCHISE has made over the past couple years is what got us here.

I agree with some of it. DeVos reminds me a lot of Jerry Jones: someone who desperately wants his team to be a constant contender, but constantly makes moves that slow that process down.

You brought up Otis and how he would have traded Dwight for Lopez; who do you think hired Otis in the first place? DeVos has a tendancy to put his friends in the front office and while he chucks tons of money at the team, historically those moves have been terrible. Of course, we don't know how much of the Jrich move, etc, was DeVos wanting "a name" vs Otis's ineptitude, but I do know moves like that have been real consistent throughout the Magic's history, and the one factor that hasn't changed in that time is....ownership.