Live or Die Magic

The Dwight Howard Drama Unfolds

i hate today's society and the need for instant gratification & reactions without doing the leg work to build foundation or get all the facts.

• Upvote 1

I never said that spending was the way to win. I was just responding to your stupid comment on getting new ownership. If you were intelligent and believed in the fact they need to rebuild. Then you would be for this trade. They are going to have 30 million in cap space in 2014, along with their own picks and these other picks in the trade.

The GM is a great evaluator of talent and we have to believe he will turn these picks into something special.

you implied ownership willing to throw unlimited amounts of money at the team automatically makes them good owners when that obviously isn't true. they hired and kept Otis Smith after all, we've lost every superstar we've ever hard, hired Brian Hill twice, over paid multiple crappy players over the years, low balled shaq. Maybe I'm completely wrong. Maybe its not ownership's fault but if I am wrong it would be the first time.

Houston trade was not only better than this one being reported, it was 1000x better

As Bill says:

"LOSER: Orlando I knew the pupu platter was coming. You knew it was coming. Even Orlando's fans knew it was coming. But when it actually happens and you're staring at those lukewarm spareribs? Man … there's nothing worse.

What Orlando sent out: Howard and nearly $30 million of cap-clogging contracts belonging to Jason Richardson, Chris Duhon and Earl Clark.

What Orlando got back: Arron Afflalo, Nik Vucevic, Al Harrington, Mo Harkless, three protected first-rounders, cap space next summer, three soggy fried shrimp, six half-cooked egg rolls and four sweet-and-sour chicken skewers to be named later. Hey, at least there isn't a storied history of NBA teams giving away superstars for 50 cents on the dollar, then totally regretting it after the fact … well, except for the two Wilt trades, the Kareem trade, the Dr. J trade, the T-Mac/Rockets trade, the Moses/Philly trade and the Barkley/Phoenix trade.

Was it a bad sign for Orlando that they got significantly less for the league's only dominant center than the Hornets got for Chris Paul and the Nuggets got for Carmelo Anthony? I'm going out on a limb and saying "yes." Had I been running the Magic, there would have been a zero percent chance — repeat: zero percent chance — that I was trading Howard unless I was getting Bynum back AND dumping Turkoglu's contract. Without those two things, I'm just keeping Howard, letting the soap opera drag on and on for a few more months, then hoping I could do better in February.

And guess what? I'm pretty sure that, six months from now, Philly, Denver and the Lakers would all still want to do a four-team trade in which all of them made out great and the Magic made out like crap. I hate how Orlando handled this saga; I hate that they caved; and I hate this trade for them."

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8254854/mailbag

So we dump J-Rich/Duhon, can buy out or trade Turk/Harrington after this season, get potential in Vucevic/Harkless, get Afflalo as a nice veteran piece.

We get our own draft picks in the top of the lotto from being terrible for a couple years, get complimentary picks from the other teams in the trade, AND we set ourselves up as players in free agency in the coming years with lots of cap space.

Oh yeah, and this was accomplished after Dwight and HWNSNBU completely destroyed our leverage.

AND THIS TRADE IS GETTING BLASTED FOR SHORTSIGHTEDNESS AND STUPIDITY. WHAT WORLD IS THIS? SOMEONE HONESTLY EXPLAIN TO ME HOW THIS IS "THE WORST TRADE IN NBA HISTORY". DO IT. I DARE YOU. I'LL BE WAITING.

I'm reposting what I wrote because I wrote it and it's smart. Conversely, what you've posted is dumb because Simmons said it, therefore I hate it and you should probably hate it too.

• Upvote 1

I like how having our own pick is being listed as one of the pros of this deal.

It was in response to the fact they are now able to rebuild. Please tell me the deal you would have made? If you honestly believe that Houston trade was/is available, you are nuts. Any team that made an offer is going to exaggerate what they were willing to give to show to their fans they were committed to getting Dwight.

I guess since there was so many better offers, Rob decided to take a mediocre one instead of the best one. Just because he wanted to look stupid.

i hate today's society and the need for instant gratification & reactions without doing the leg work to build foundation or get all the facts.

The thing is we got no foundation player out of this trade all these players can easily be moved within three years.

It would've been nice to get an Eric Gordon, Al Jefferson, Derrick Favors, Gallinari type prospect in return

Hennigan doesn't want players from other teams....at least thats what it seems like. He wants to start from scratch, and have his fingerprint on every transaction assembled.

The thing is we got no foundation player out of this trade all these players can easily be moved within three years.

It would've been nice to get an Eric Gordon, Al Jefferson, Derrick Favors, Gallinari type prospect in return

Can you guess how many playoff series all of those guys have won?

I'm hoping that Hedo goes to Denver for their TPE.

That will only leave Meer, JJ, BBD, QRich, and the rookies from last years squad... all guys that want to play hard! The Lakers have to give up some more salary to make it work so we probably will get McBob's expiring and Blake as our backup PG. If Turk goes and we have 2 coming in we'll have to wave a player.

From Kobe's Facebook page:

"Well, it looks like Superman has found a home. I wish nothing but the best for Big Bynum. I hope he follows what was a great season last year with an even better one next year. I know LA is excited about the deal and rightfully so. The Lakers landed a piece that will hopefully carry the franchise long after I'm gone. I have spoken to Dwight Howard already and we are locked and loaded to bring back the title. Wow, what a summer Jimmy and Mitch have had so far. Unreal! I'm focused on our semifinal game vs Argentina but I had to pause for a few to send you my thoughts, in case you were curious.."

It was in response to the fact they are now able to rebuild. Please tell me the deal you would have made? If you honestly believe that Houston trade was/is available, you are nuts. Any team that made an offer is going to exaggerate what they were willing to give to show to their fans they were committed to getting Dwight.

I guess since there was so many better offers, Rob decided to take a mediocre one instead of the best one. Just because he wanted to look stupid.

I'd do the one where we don't pay 30 million dollars to Arron Afflalo

How many of those are the main piece to win a championship? Orlando is starting over, period end of story. A lot of pics and capspace going forward. They can either trade Hedu/Harrington because both players can be cut at the end of this year.

Either way, we are fighting back and forth on a trade that hasn't gone through and we don't know everything yet.

Can we just agree on GO MAGIC! if not, cheer for another team.