Live or Die Magic

The Dwight Howard Drama Unfolds

Does anyone actually know if the Houston deal is actually on the table still and what that deal is? Like most people on here are saying I don't see how that deal isn't any better.

Houston's deal at least gives us higher draft picks, not Brooklyn's mid-to-late 20's.

But Dwight's stupid stance on not signing anywhere else is making other teams like Houston, Golden State not that into it.

Bynum + Ebanks for Dwight + JRich is my deal. If this happens, or some variation of it where we at least get Bynum AND Ebanks, and I'm a HAPPY MAN.

I say we grab 1sts from Houston and one of there young pieces and ship Howard out. We then let nature take its course.

We bench Richardson Turk and Duhon and in next 3 years have 4-5 lottery picks. Along with our current youngs, the team is totally rebuilt and all our contracts expire giving us a ton of cap space along with a young lottery filled roster.

it'd be nice to organize a "group silence" of sorts

when he's announced, dead silence. when he has the ball, dead silence.

i'm not going to waste my breath booing

When A-Rod ditched the Mariners for the biggest contract in MLB history, we Seattlites had a good response: whenever he was up to bat, people would lift up newspapers, go get beer, etc. Of course, it would be hard to do that in an NBA game, but you could also throw monopoly money on the court (another thing we classy fans did).

Eighty percent of me wants the best possible deal for Dwight Howard. I agree that Bynum is likely the best possible deal. But the other twenty percent of me wants to explode at the possibility of setting up the Lakers with yet another franchise center. I do not want to be the Lakers farm team and enable them to get even more rings. You Lakers fans have it pretty easy. You have no idea what is is like to ache for a championship only to watch other more-established franchises from larger markets just swoop right in and get the best players handed to them. You guys won't be hurting a bit "losing" Howard, so don't come in here trying to commiserate with us. There is no comparison.

Oh by the way, how's the NFL?

Unfortunately we have no one to blame but Otis Smith and our ownership for allowing Otis to keep his job as long as he did. It's not the Lakers, or any big market team's fault, that our management has been completely inept and got us into this hot mess. It's very disappointing, but we're Magic fans and lets face it, we're used to it by now

• Upvote 1

Eighty percent of me wants the best possible deal for Dwight Howard. I agree that Bynum is likely the best possible deal. But the other twenty percent of me wants to explode at the possibility of setting up the Lakers with yet another franchise center. I do not want to be the Lakers farm team and enable them to get even more rings. You Lakers fans have it pretty easy. You have no idea what is is like to ache for a championship only to watch other more-established franchises from larger markets just swoop right in and get the best players handed to them. You guys won't be hurting a bit "losing" Howard, so don't come in here trying to commiserate with us. There is no comparison.

Oh by the way, how's the NFL?

I'm actually from NYC so LA not having NFL doesn't faze me. I'm actually a Jets fan so I know a thing or two about having losing years, having little to no hope of ever winning or even being in the hunt. Having heartbreak after heartbreak, never being able to utilize great talent by surrounding them with other great talent (see Curtis Martin), etc...believe me I get it.

I never said Lakers fans have it worse, we obviously don't. My point is simple and clear. The best option for both teams is a Dwight for Drew swap and no other team in the league (that Dwight would actually sign long-term with) can offer a better, realistic trade scenario.

Would you be helping the Lakers out by trading for Drew? Yes. But that's like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

• Upvote 1

What other reporters are saying about this proposed Brooklyn trade:

-----

@Joel Brigham:

If what's being reported is correct, this could be the worst superstar trade of all time. What a load of garbage for Orlando...

-----

@Eddy Rivera ‏

Like I said about Dwight. I'll say the same about Bynum. Trade for him, get his Bird rights, and dare him to walk from 5 years, $100 mill.

-----

@Nate Jones

Magic fans overwhelmingly would rather take the Bynum deal. Bynum walks, you start over. Lopez at or near max is a disaster!

-----

@Bruce Arthur:

That Dwight Howard proposal as detailed by Woj, explained simply: Dwight to Brooklyn, hot garbage to Orlando, hot garbage to Cleveland

The bright side in all of this is were getting rid of J Rich's horrible contract and Q Rich. Still don't understand the giving up of Earl Clark though

I don't think Rob wanted him and was surprised when he opted in.

The bright side in all of this is were getting rid of J Rich's horrible contract and Q Rich. Still don't understand the giving up of Earl Clark though

I love Earl, but he kinda sucks at basketball.