Dan Savage

First Move For Rob Hennigan?

Payback?

It was 16 *****ing years ago. Let it go.

Even if it wasn't 16 years ago, payback for what? The fact that they offered Shaq more money and convinced him that they were a winning organization and were able to pair him up with young up and coming hall of gamer in Kobe? That sounds like smart management to me.

These idiots wouldn't be whining if it was the other way around.

Even if it wasn't 16 years ago, payback for what? The fact that they offered Shaq more money and convinced him that they were a winning organization and were able to pair him up with young up and coming hall of gamer in Kobe? That sounds like smart management to me.

Indeed. If you want payback on anyone, it should be on Shaq for leaving. The Lakers did what any smart organization would do.

Agreed. I hate the fact that Shaq 1.) left, and 2.) left to the Lakers, cuz I've always hated the Lakers, but I don't begrudge either side for the move. It was a legitimate free agency move.

I don't think the Magic will trade Dwight pre-draft or on draft night. For one thing, they still really don't want to trade him. Secondly, putting that kind of a deadline on a trade would probably not result in the best deal possible if you do have to end up making a deal. But besides that, Hennigan just has too much on his plate right now. I'm sure he will reach out to Dwight.

The draft is Thursday. Three days after that, free agency starts. He's going to need to deal with the contract situations of Jameer and Ryan. He has to let J.J. know what he's going to do with his contract by July 7. The Summer League starts July 9. Sadly, that might actually be important to the Magic this year. He needs to hire a coach.

He's not going to be able to totally ignore free agency. Even if Dwight is back next season, the Magic need another big man to back up Dwight. If Dwight leaves, they don't have any centers at all. They are going to need to get one in either free agency or in the draft. If Jameer opts out, they don't have any point guards under contract except Duhon (shudder). Apparently, Earl Clark plans to opt out -- his agent says because the Magic don't have a coach. I don't expect Orton to be back, and I'm not sure they will pick up the second year of the contracts of Liggins or Ish Smith. Hennigan might want to bring in his own minimum guys.

For those of you worried about being bad for 2 years, that might be good news. All the pundits say that 2013 is going to be bad for the draft and free agency. Right now, Dwight would be the only free agent of significance, they say. So, cap room for next season wouldn't do you any good. Besides, Schmitz has been writing in the Sentinel that if Dwight ends up being traded, that the Magic apparently plan to become the equivalent of a D-League team, suck for about 5 years, and rebuild pretty much completely through the draft (like OKC).

The Magic haven't done that since they were an expansion team and everyone was just as excited as OKC just to have a team. I don't see that working now if they actually expect to sell any tickets -- especially not at today's prices. But that's what Schmitz is saying...they will follow OKC's blueprint.

Orlando hires Mike Malone as Head Coach.

Orlando waives Chris Duhon, setting up his 2013 salary hit as $1.5 mil instead of $3.5.

Orlando trades:

Jason Richardson

Pick #49

To Minnesota for:

Martell Webster

Why for Orlando? They get rid of J Rich's contract, and Webster would be expiring.

Why for Minnesota? They are unlikely to get Jamal Crawford for the MLE; if he's smart, he'll go to a good team, like the Heat or the Clippers. They need a sharp-shooter at the 2 Guard, and he would be somewhat reasonably priced.

Orlando trades:

J.J. Redick

Glen Davis

Pick #19

To Milwaukee for:

Monta Ellis

Larry Sanders

Why for Orlando? It dumps Glen Davis' big contract while his playoff performance is fresh in other GMs' minds; and it gets Monta Ellis, who fills a need for a legitimate scorer who can create for himself. And Sanders is a solid reserve big man. (It should be noted that the pick should be thrown in as a last resort, and if Milwaukee wants it, that's when Orlando should ask for Sanders)

Why for Milwaukee? Ellis is likely to use his player option and leave after the season unless he can get out of Milwaukee. Too many better teams not in frigid Wisconsin will be willing to take him. Davis gives them a quality big man who can score on the pick-and-roll, and J.J. Redick will play well with Brandon Jennings, spacing the floor to give him room to drive to the basket. Also, with the nineteenth pick they could get another solid wing.

Orlando would then need to re-sign Anderson to a deal of no more than $8 Million per. Then -assuming they had to give up the #19 pick for Ellis, and that Jameer Nelson opts out- they would have to 1) convince Steve Nash to sign for the MLE (preferably for a 1-year deal, but that's doubtful), 2) sign Aaron Brooks for the MLE, and pray he comes back strong, or lastly 3) play Ellis as the Point Guard (I know he's not ideal for a Point Guard, but people could say the same things they say about him, and they often do, about Russell Westbrook) and sign Courtney Lee.

After all this, Orlando's Lineup for 2012 would look like:

PG: Nash/Brooks/Ellis, Ish Smith, scrub*

SG: Ellis/Lee, Liggins, Q

SF: Hedo, Q, Clark

PF: Anderson, Sanders, Harper

C: D12, Sanders, Orton

(Scrub means minimum salary)

I think, with Dwight, that team could make some noise (though I doubt they beat the Heat or Bulls in a playoff series, anything is possible in a series with Dwight Howard, especially if Ellis gets hot). What's better is what they would have set up for 2013. They would need to trade Hedo and their first round pick in a salary dump (which is done all the time; see Lamar Odom), then…

(If Nash signs a 1-year deal) Team salary in 2013 would be:

Monta Ellis: $11 mil

Ryan Anderson: $8 mil

Quentin Richardson: $2.8 mil

Chris Duhon: $1.5 mil

Eight unused roster spots at about $0.5 mil equaling out to: $4 mil

That's a total salary of: $27.3mil of a $62 mil cap. At $34.7 mil in cap space, that's maybe not quite enough to get CP3 (though it is $17 mil a piece for CP3 and D12), but they would have a good shot at getting Josh Smith, or even James Harden, if OKC won't match an offer of $12-14 mil or so. Yes, they have to fill out the rest of the roster with garbage, and they have to use the MLE (I'm pretty sure it's available to all teams now) to sign a guard, but the lineup could look like this:

PG: Eric Maynor/Earl Watson, Ellis, scrub

SG: Monta Ellis, Q Richardson, scrub

SF: Josh Smith, Q Richardson, scrub

PF: Ryan Anderson, Josh Smith, scrub

C: Dwight Howard, scrub, scrub

I'd take that team into war with anybody in the league.

And that's just one scenario. Say we signed Brooks or Lee to a $3 mil MLE, or Nash stays on another year. They still might be able to get Josh Smith or James Harden, and they could sure as hell get Iggy. That could leave Orlando with something like:

PG: Brooks/Nash, Ellis, scrub

SG: Ellis, Corey Brewer, Q

SF: Smith/Iggy, Brewer, Q

PF: Anderson, Smith/scrub

C: Dwight, scrub, scrub

Or:

PG: Ellis, Maynor/Watson, scrub

SG: Lee, Ellis, scrub, Q

SF: Smith/Iggy, Q, scrub

I would love either of those teams.

Now I'm not saying anything here is easily done, and you can certainly make the argument against the likelihood of all this coming together for Orlando, but it's just what I would try to do, or something very similar.

(Insert joke about that being why I'm not a GM here)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Orlando waives Chris Duhon, setting up his 2013 salary hit as $1.5 mil instead of $3.5.

Orlando trades:

Jason Richardson

Pick #49

To Minnesota for:

Martell Webster

Why for Orlando? They get rid of J Rich's contract, and Webster would be expiring.

Why for Minnesota? They are unlikely to get Jamal Crawford for the MLE; if he's smart, he'll go to a good team, like the Heat or the Clippers. They need a sharp-shooter at the 2 Guard, and he would be somewhat reasonably priced.

Orlando trades:

J.J. Redick

Glen Davis

Pick #19

To Milwaukee for:

Monta Ellis

Larry Sanders

Why for Orlando? It dumps Glen Davis' big contract while his playoff performance is fresh in other GMs' minds; and it gets Monta Ellis, who fills a need for a legitimate scorer who can create for himself. And Sanders is a solid reserve big man. (It should be noted that the pick should be thrown in as a last resort, and if Milwaukee wants it, that's when Orlando should ask for Sanders)

Why for Milwaukee? Ellis is likely to use his player option and leave after the season unless he can get out of Milwaukee. Too many better teams not in frigid Wisconsin will be willing to take him. Davis gives them a quality big man who can score on the pick-and-roll, and J.J. Redick will play well with Brandon Jennings, spacing the floor to give him room to drive to the basket. Also, with the nineteenth pick they could get another solid wing.

Orlando would then need to re-sign Anderson to a deal of no more than $8 Million per. Then -assuming they had to give up the #19 pick for Ellis, and that Jameer Nelson opts out- they would have to 1) convince Steve Nash to sign for the MLE (preferably for a 1-year deal, but that's doubtful), 2) sign Aaron Brooks for the MLE, and pray he comes back strong, or lastly 3) play Ellis as the Point Guard (I know he's not ideal for a Point Guard, but people could say the same things they say about him, and they often do, about Russell Westbrook) and sign Courtney Lee.

I think, with Dwight, that team could make some noise (though I doubt they beat the Heat or Bulls in a playoff series, anything is possible in a series with Dwight Howard, especially if Ellis gets hot). What's better is what they would have set up for 2013. They would need to trade Hedo and their first round pick in a salary dump (which is done all the time; see Lamar Odom), then…

That's a total salary of: $27.3mil of a $62 mil cap. At $34.7 mil in cap space, that's maybe not quite enough to get CP3 (though it is $17 mil a piece for CP3 and D12), but they would have a good shot at getting Josh Smith, or even James Harden, if OKC won't match an offer of $12-14 mil or so. Yes, they have to fill out the rest of the roster with garbage, and they have to use the MLE (I'm pretty sure it's available to all teams now) to sign a guard, but the lineup could look like this:

And that's just one scenario. Say we signed Brooks or Lee to a $3 mil MLE, or Nash stays on another year. They still might be able to get Josh Smith or James Harden, and they could sure as hell get Iggy. That could leave Orlando with something like:

Or:

Now I'm not saying anything here is easily done, and you can certainly make the argument against the likelihood of all this coming together for Orlando, but it's just what I would try to do, or something very similar.

I didn't know Otis Smith had an account here.

• Upvote 1

Orlando trades:

Jason Richardson

Pick #49

To Minnesota for:

Martell Webster

Orlando trades:

J.J. Redick

Glen Davis

Pick #19

To Milwaukee for:

Monta Ellis

Larry Sanders

Or:

lay off the 2k

Orlando trades:

Jason Richardson

Pick #49

To Minnesota for:

Martell Webster

Orlando trades:

J.J. Redick

Glen Davis

Pick #19

To Milwaukee for:

Monta Ellis

Larry Sanders

Or:

possible in video games only.