God Hates Otis Smith

Dwight needs to hang out with Tim Duncan

"The days with guys like him" never existed.

Bird and Jordan were both monolithic assholes. Magic Johnson was a grinning jackass. Hakeem spent most of his early years as a selfish hot-head who demanded trades left and right. Zeke was a selfish dick. I won't even go into Barkley, KG or Shaq. Kareem and Wilt were so obsessed over who was better, that their salaries became a game of one-upsmanship. Oscar Robertson was stand-offish on the court and worse off it. Rick Barry was just a deplorable person.

Have there been players who were awesome, totally humble human beings? Of course there have, but actually ask yourself: how many people do you know at YOUR job who are humble, kind and hardworking? Is it even 20%? Now ask yourself how many in that group are also one of the best to ever exist in their chosen field?

You've now set a criteria for NBA players where, at most, like 6 people in the course of the sport's history qualify.

And it has nothing to do with marketing, and little to do with David Robinson either: Duncan was the exact same guy at Wake that he was his first few years in the NBA. At most, Robinson might have shielded Duncan from some negative aspects of media coverage, but it likely wasn't much: Duncan finished 5th in the MVP voting as a rookie. He finished 3rd in the MVP voting and won the Finals MVP as a sophomore. He wasn't under the radar. He didn't need time to develop or mature. He entered the league as one of its greatest players.

Duncan was great. He was ALWAYS great. And he was always humble and introverted. I don't understand why you all seem to want to take those traits away from him, or at least make them something he got from David Robinson, just so you can claim it's a personality that's available to everyone. It isn't. The person Duncan is won't ever be the person Dwight is, and that's FINE. Not-being-Duncan doesn't mean Dwight can't be great. Being-a-self-centered-******* doesn't mean Dwight can't be great either. Lord knows it never stopped Jordan, Barkley or Wilt.

But this idea that there were ever a whole lot of players "like Duncan" in the league? That's just nostalgia based revisionist history bull****, and that needs to stop. The only difference between today's superstars and the stars of previous years is access. They were the same gigantic asshats in the 90s, 80s, 70s and 60s. We just didn't find out about it as easily.

What about JJ? He's humble and he's a star! Dwight is NOT an *******. He has been manipulated by the system and his agents, and his agents' managers who own multiple big companies who own a lot of the press and media!!! Dwight is GOOD person at heart, but my fear is that the chosen few who are filthy rich in this world (which I SINCERELY believe are of the Illuminati caliber quality --Devos not included because he is a Christian) are the ones who are manipulating this situation. Our goal is to convince YaBoyR to help us persuade Dwight to find the GOOD that is in him so he will do the right thing and not the ******* move his people are influencing him to do.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

What about JJ? He's humble and he's a star! Dwight is NOT an *******. He has been manipulated by the system and his agents, and his agents' managers who own multiple big companies who own a lot of the press and media!!! Dwight is GOOD person at heart, but my fear is that the chosen few who are filthy rich in this world (which I SINCERELY believe are of the Illuminati caliber quality --Devos not included because he is a Christian) are the ones who are manipulating this situation. Our goal is to convince YaBoyR to help us persuade Dwight to find the GOOD that is in him so he will do the right thing and not the ******* move his people are influencing him to do.

Religion, really?

kanye-illuminati-handsign.jpg

Just a side note on this perspective:

The only difference between today's superstars and the stars of previous years is access. They were the same gigantic asshats in the 90s, 80s, 70s and 60s.

People in the 1960s were not like the people of the 2010s (and as a subset, the stars of the 60s were not like the stars of the 10s).

We may all be human beings (ie biologically the same) but the way that society and the world around us is formed shapes us. One cannot simply say "people in the '30s and people in the '50s were the same, the only difference between them was the Bomb" - like he can't say, for example, that the only difference between athletes then and now is 'money'. Societies and people are shaped according to their basic conception of the world and man's place in it - and this conception can change dramatically even by sole differences.

Fire. Penicilin. Money. 'Access'. And many many others.

The central imaginary significations of each society (and therefor each era) always create unique beings, a unique "niveau d’être" so to speak.

So when certain people talk about "the good old days", it is not always "nostalgia based revisionist history bull****".

End of side note.

That article is irrelevant! First of all Tim Duncan is a humble guy just like Dwight, but Tim was blessed with a proper organization that prides itself on winning championships! Honestly if Dwight had what Tim Duncan had from day 1, he would have won championship(s) and we would not be talking "will Howard stay or go". Sadly losing year after year coming short of the ultimate goal has changed our beloved D12 into our worst nightmare for fans (requesting trades and etc.). Yes Howard didn't handle himself in the best manner this past season for our ball club, he acknowledges that. But name me one player in the league history that would stay long term knowing management is shaky...

Tim also landed on a team with another pinnacle class act: David Robinson. Dwight didn't really have that kind of mentor on the Magic. Well...okay, maybe Pat Garrity.

Every time I post in a thread and Zara responds, his/her post will inevitably be as follows:

First, he/she will quote one to four sentences of a longer post, completely out of context. Usually, this segment will be a point supporting a thesis, never the thesis itself.

Second, he/she will use that segment to attack a point I wasn't making.

Third, he/she will absolutely abuse a thesaurus, but it will be so haphazard that it will come across less "wow, you have an impressive vocabulary" and more "wow, you sure want us to think you have an impressive vocabulary,"

Fourth, the attack on the point I wasn't making will be used to imply that I'm stupid or naive.

Fifth, the post will conclude with something incredibly inane about how we should all just hug each other or something.

Lastly and most importantly: The actual point I was writing about will never be acknowledged or addressed.

Now, I have him/her on ignore, and have no interest in reading his/her post, but I am curious: assuming the over/under for those 6 Zara post bullet points were placed at 3.5 and I took the over, would I have won the bet?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Duncan was great. He was ALWAYS great. And he was always humble and introverted. I don't understand why you all seem to want to take those traits away from him, or at least make them something he got from David Robinson,

Exactly. Respect Tim for the human being he is.

Every time I post in a thread and Zara responds, his/her post will inevitably be as follows:

First, he/she will quote one to four sentences of a longer post, completely out of context. Usually, this segment will be a point supporting a thesis, never the thesis itself.

Second, he/she will use that segment to attack a point I wasn't making.

Third, he/she will absolutely abuse a thesaurus, but it will be so haphazard that it will come across less "wow, you have an impressive vocabulary" and more "wow, you sure want us to think you have an impressive vocabulary,"

Fourth, the attack on the point I wasn't making will be used to imply that I'm stupid or naive.

Fifth, the post will conclude with something incredibly inane about how we should all just hug each other or something.

Lastly and most importantly: The actual point I was writing about will never be acknowledge or addressed.

Now, I have him/her on ignore, and have no interest in reading his/her post, but I am curious: assuming the over/under for those 6 Zara post bullet points were placed at 3.5 and I took the over, would I have won the bet?

You didn't actually read the post??