OrlandoMagicFan1234

Dwight wants trade after season is over

The plan should be the same for next year regardless of the Dwight situation. Set up for the cap room. Tempt him with the right free agents, he'll be fine. If he walks, we sign other free agents. I'm not confident on our draft history anyway, we just wind up losing players. The main changes needed this summer, in no particular order are: 1) get rid of Duhon; 2) get competent scouts; 3) get competent GM; 4)get player & coach to co-exist or replace coach; 5) get competent medical staff & trainers.

Ironically, it may be more in Dwight's best interest to get an extension done this summer. He's the injured one, he needs to have security of a long term contract. The magic now, however, should be more wary of a grant hill part 2 scenario (i.e signing the guy long term only to find out he gets hurt the end of next year etc). So it might be better to take a wait and see approach for next year to make sure he's healthy before you drop a big $$$ contract down on him. Because we already know how it feels to have a big contract injured player. And I doubt we would be intelligent to have an insurance waiver put into his contract. Look at the knicks with stoudamire. He's practically untradeable. So again, waiting might be the best option long term for the magic. If you make the moves to create cap room for next summer, and you still lose him, you still create a window to make some other moves more easily.

As far as the plane/jet things go, I agree with the majority of the posters. However, the organization needs to step things up and not be cheap. That means they should always put forth a first class setup. Players talk and word gets out and these kind of things make players want to play for your team. Why do you think Dallas is always in the mix when it comes to players going there as free agents? This has been noted since Cuban took over that franchise. No one ever wanted to go there before. While you or I cannot comprehend Dwight's thinking as an average fan, these players like the privacy of a private jet etc. So while one may say, why not just pay it out of your own pocket Dwight?, it definitely creates a more alluring appeal to these stars when they see the organization "take care of them" and like it or not, thats what works. Teams need to make $$$ and the only way to do that is via deep postseason runs, to do that you do need the right personnel.

You dropping that knowledge I see.You a Boss already.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

You dropping that knowledge I see.You a Boss already.

Thanks, honestly, long time lurker on the forums but big time Magic fan for years. Just as frustrated with everyone else with the whole situation, but just very scared somehow our FO will screw this up. Regardless of individual opinion on whether Dwight is right or wrong, there is just a whole lot of stuff that I just dont feel comfortable about with the higher ups running our operation. A lot of personal frustration as well in how the Magic announced that 1) season tix renewals came a week or so after the "opt-in"; 2) news of dwight's herniated disc is leaked after the 6pm deadline to renew season tickets to guarantee playoff "play then pay" promotion and 3) season ending back surgery after playoff tickets went on sale. Maybe just my feeling, but seems more than a coincidence on all that timing. Quite possible magic docs knew more than they let on but were scared to say anything too soon? The way our front office behaves, its almost like a jilted lover, we are so scared to screw things up after the whole Shaq fiasco. I think thats why leaks came up throughout the season -- they were deliberate, I think the team really needed a pulse of how fans, esp season ticket holders, felt about losing dwight. I think the team really was prepared to trade but also was at the same time very very scared of the backlash in ticket sales for next season, esp with our new arena. If we kept quiet the whole season and dwight never said anything (which very well could have happened, if otis never mentioned dwights initial trade request publicly) and we either traded him or lost him in the summer, the fans might not have understood all the issues behind the scenes. Hence, the team's way to let all the facts come out? who knows, but lets see how Martins handles things this summer I guess...

The plan should be the same for next year regardless of the Dwight situation. Set up for the cap room. Tempt him with the right free agents, he'll be fine. If he walks, we sign other free agents. I'm not confident on our draft history anyway, we just wind up losing players. The main changes needed this summer, in no particular order are: 1) get rid of Duhon; 2) get competent scouts; 3) get competent GM; 4)get player & coach to co-exist or replace coach; 5) get competent medical staff & trainers.

Ironically, it may be more in Dwight's best interest to get an extension done this summer. He's the injured one, he needs to have security of a long term contract. The magic now, however, should be more wary of a grant hill part 2 scenario (i.e signing the guy long term only to find out he gets hurt the end of next year etc). So it might be better to take a wait and see approach for next year to make sure he's healthy before you drop a big $$ contract down on him. Because we already know how it feels to have a big contract injured player. And I doubt we would be intelligent to have an insurance waiver put into his contract. Look at the knicks with stoudamire. He's practically untradeable. So again, waiting might be the best option long term for the magic. If you make the moves to create cap room for next summer, and you still lose him, you still create a window to make some other moves more easily.

As far as the plane/jet things go, I agree with the majority of the posters. However, the organization needs to step things up and not be cheap. That means they should always put forth a first class setup. Players talk and word gets out and these kind of things make players want to play for your team. Why do you think Dallas is always in the mix when it comes to players going there as free agents? This has been noted since Cuban took over that franchise. No one ever wanted to go there before. While you or I cannot comprehend Dwight's thinking as an average fan, these players like the privacy of a private jet etc. So while one may say, why not just pay it out of your own pocket Dwight?, it definitely creates a more alluring appeal to these stars when they see the organization "take care of them" and like it or not, thats what works. Teams need to make $$ and the only way to do that is via deep postseason runs, to do that you do need the right personnel.

nice

Dwight Howard's "camp." Which means it's just HWNSNBU & Co. trying to stir up crap again. Leave it to Dwight to stay in Orlando.. but also keep the people around him who gave the quote from when he opted in, "bad advice" to begin with.

However, Dwight is coming off of injury so his value is going to be at an all-time low until he gets back out there and proves his back is okay. Unless someone offers Alex/Otis something ridiculous in our favor despite the back injury, we may be best off either letting the circus part two run all the way to next year's trade deadline, or play chicken with Dwight by letting his contract expire in the summer of 2013. Who knows, maybe Dwight will learn from his mistakes to **** to the media next season and take a positive cue from how Melo & LeBron handled their FA situations. (LBJ had handled the FA thing well during that season until.. well, his hour long special about where he was going.)

I believe that Otis should be fired. I believe that Stan deserves the chance to coach someone else's roster, because the rosters that Otis give him are continuously more and more garbage than the season before, especially on the defensive end (examples; Ariza shipped, Lee, Gortat and Pietrus go, Barnes not re-signed, people like VC, Arenas, Wafer, J-Rich, Hedo brought back, and generally less and less defensive minded players on the roster over time).

In conclusion, generally speaking, the Magic need to figure out if they're all in or all out with Dwight. ASAP. Then, also ASAP, get Dwight to be all in... or all out.

Then get on with life.

P.S. sorry for the length. :P

Hello Sky, long time my friend!!!

In a nutshell, you have captured everything that needs to be done before next season begins!! Otis and Stan need to go now! If Alex is as smart as he has proven to be, he has already put in a call to a few decent and very hungry Coaches and GM's to start 2012-13 with! Great post as usual Sky!!!

Didn't he try already and got shot down from upper brass?

The Dance team members have about as much authority to makes trades as Otis right now.

I'm probably in the extreme minority but I'm going to be upset if Dwight ISN'T traded this summer. I'm done with it all, in my mind the damage is beyond repair...Dwight has proven himself to be at worst a selfish crybaby who cares more about marketability/money than he does about winning, at best someone who is easily manipulated by others into making ridiculous decisions that cast a shadow over an entire franchise. I'm ready for a new era in Magic basketball, goodbye Jameer/Dwight/Duhon/Turk/JRich/QRich, hello anybody else. Let's cut the dead weight, acquire as many draft picks as we can, clear up as much cap room as we can, and let's get this thing going in the right direction with players who WANT to be here. I'm even in favor of keeping Davis at this point, I hate the guy and he was clearly pouting all year with his limited playing time, but at least he's trying now. Booting Otis is also a necessity, the environment is toxic and he's largely if not solely responsible for that. It's time to start over COMPLETELY, I want the 2012-13 Magic to be fun to root for, this season was a disaster.

Since you want Dwight traded this summer,who do you have in mind to trade him for?

That's been debated for months, and the possibilities are endless. If management feels moves can be made this offseason to appease Dwight and ensure he signs a long term contract, fine. But I don't have a good feeling about that, I believe he's 100 % gone, as we don't have the assets, whether that be trade pieces, draft picks, or cap room, to made a move of any significance. That's just speaking in terms of team quality, factor in his clear distaste for Otis/Stan and God knows who/what else, and I'm even more inclined to believe it's only a matter of time before he bolts.

If we can't land another superstar in return, then I think the emphasis needs to be on acquiring A LOT of draft picks, and perhaps expirings in any Dwight trade.

Nice.