OrlandoMagicFan1234

Dwight wants trade after season is over

How did it come to this? I remember after Orlando went to the finals in '09 hearing people say Orlando was going to be the place for free agents to flock because playing with Dwight, playing for Stan, playing in Orlando with all the tax advantages, all these things were going to happen. What I guess no one saw was that Otis Smith would never allow the team to have any cap room, and that Dwight would get too big for his britches. All of this just makes the sports fan in me so sad.

What I don't want to happen is that Orlando loses both Dwight and Stan. Sadly, I still think that will probably happen, unless the "WE ALL WE GOT" crew gets past Indiana. Even then I'm not sure. If Dwight hangs the carrot in front of management, I think they bite. The problem is, from every indication I get from reading YBR's posts and listening to other "insider information" from the media, Dwight is leaving. He wants to be gone, and I honestly don't care anymore. If he re-signs, I'll have a drink in his honor, but I just don't see it happening. What I see happening is Orlando gets a new coach, one who is young and raw and doesn't have the solid understanding of this team that Stan does, then Orlando struggles; Dwight isn't happy with the struggles, so he forces a trade at the deadline next year, and everyone says, "Well who can blame him, that team is terrible, the organization is falling apart." And instead of becoming the Nuggets or the Jazz, the Magic become the Minnesota Timberwolves post-KG. A pariah in the league with no players, no coach, and a LONG rebuilding stage ahead. I hope I'm wrong.

The most realistic dream that I want to see happen: "WE ALL WE GOT" crew gets past the Pacers before losing a gritty series in 5 or 6 to Miami. Dwight's trade demand finally comes as advertised. Otis is fired and/or banished from the city. New Jersey gets pick # 3 in the draft, and Orlando trades Dwight and Hedo to Brooklyn for Lopez, Wallace and the third pick Michael Kidd-Gilchrist (though, admittedly, I don't know if Brooklyn can even do a sign and trade with Lopez at this point). I'm not a huge Lopez fan, but despite some sentiment that he is awful and will be over-paid, he's better than having Big Baby start there, and I think the injury will keep his salary below 12 a year, which is not that bad for a starting center. Lopez plays tougher under Stan's and Ewing's tutelage (he'll never be a monster, but maybe something like a Pau Gasol type player). Kidd-Gilchrist is allowed to grow a little coming off the bench behind Wallace, and JJ finally gets his starting job. The team starts drafting, bringing in good defenders and scoring off a system rather than stars getting isolation. Orlando becomes not the Timberwolves but the next San Antonio Spurs, building a team around a group of defensive stars who can produce as a unit on offense. Hey, a guy can dream.

• Upvote 1

How did it come to this? I remember after Orlando went to the finals in '09 hearing people say Orlando was going to be the place for free agents to flock because playing with Dwight, playing for Stan, playing in Orlando with all the tax advantages, all these things were going to happen. What I guess no one saw was that Otis Smith would never allow the team to have any cap room, and that Dwight would get too big for his britches. All of this just makes the sports fan in me so sad.

What I don't want to happen is that Orlando loses both Dwight and Stan. Sadly, I still think that will probably happen, unless the "WE ALL WE GOT" crew gets past Indiana. Even then I'm not sure. If Dwight hangs the carrot in front of management, I think they bite. The problem is, from every indication I get from reading YBR's posts and listening to other "insider information" from the media, Dwight is leaving. He wants to be gone, and I honestly don't care anymore. If he re-signs, I'll have a drink in his honor, but I just don't see it happening. What I see happening is Orlando gets a new coach, one who is young and raw and doesn't have the solid understanding of this team that Stan does, then Orlando struggles; Dwight isn't happy with the struggles, so he forces a trade at the deadline next year, and everyone says, "Well who can blame him, that team is terrible, the organization is falling apart." And instead of becoming the Nuggets or the Jazz, the Magic become the Minnesota Timberwolves post-KG. A pariah in the league with no players, no coach, and a LONG rebuilding stage ahead. I hope I'm wrong.

The most realistic dream that I want to see happen: "WE ALL WE GOT" crew gets past the Pacers before losing a gritty series in 5 or 6 to Miami. Dwight's trade demand finally comes as advertised. Otis is fired and/or banished from the city. New Jersey gets pick # 3 in the draft, and Orlando trades Dwight and Hedo to Brooklyn for Lopez, Wallace and the third pick Michael Kidd-Gilchrist (though, admittedly, I don't know if Brooklyn can even do a sign and trade with Lopez at this point). I'm not a huge Lopez fan, but despite some sentiment that he is awful and will be over-paid, he's better than having Big Baby start there, and I think the injury will keep his salary below 12 a year, which is not that bad for a starting center. Lopez plays tougher under Stan's and Ewing's tutelage (he'll never be a monster, but maybe something like a Pau Gasol type player). Kidd-Gilchrist is allowed to grow a little coming off the bench behind Wallace, and JJ finally gets his starting job. The team starts drafting, bringing in good defenders and scoring off a system rather than stars getting isolation. Orlando becomes not the Timberwolves but the next San Antonio Spurs, building a team around a group of defensive stars who can produce as a unit on offense. Hey, a guy can dream.

Maybe when Dwight said he was opting in for 2013 out of "loyalty", he meant he was giving the Magic 1 more year to be able to work out a better trade with the Nets. Next season, the Magic will be closer to a better cap situation and other teams may also be better trading partners as a 3rd wheel in a Dwight to Brooklyn 3-way deal. Dwight's "loyalty" might involve giving the Magic a better return on a trade AND newfound "loyalty" to Brooklyn allowing the Nets to be in a better situation to have some quality pieces around he and D-Will.

Bottom line is that either way, I think the Magic come out better than they would have if they traded D12 at this past trade deadline. Either they make offseason moves to convince Dwight to stay long-term OR they have bought themselves the additional time they needed to yield a better return on a trade.

Hello Sky, long time my friend!!!

In a nutshell, you have captured everything that needs to be done before next season begins!! Otis and Stan need to go now! If Alex is as smart as he has proven to be, he has already put in a call to a few decent and very hungry Coaches and GM's to start 2012-13 with! Great post as usual Sky!!!

Where is Alex Martins, by the way? Has anyone seen him since he got back from his vacation (when SVG dropped his bomb)? I don't remember a time when we have gone so long without seeing him. Maybe he won't be the one taking part in these decisions?

The Magic are in a tough situation. Based on what everyone says, Dwight Howard does not want to come back next season. I don't see how they get a better return in a trade. The Nets have to end up with a top 3 pick to have any draft picks at all this season. And if Howard was traded there, their draft picks after this year would be worthless anyway. Gerald Wallace will likely opt out, too, so unless he particularly wants to come to Orlando, he couldn't be included in a trade. Unless you are in love with Brook Lopez -- who had not led New Jersey to many wins so far during his time in the league -- I don't see how you get a decent return at all in a trade with New Jersey. And by trading for Wallace, they gave up any extra cap space if you wanted to trade Turkoglu's contract. And now, Jameer might opt out and could leave, too. I'd try to enjoy the playoffs, everyone.

You can't even really say cap space would help at that point. It's not a good summer for free agents. Deron Williams is really the only good one available.

I don't know if thats a surprise when he will likely get another longterm deal from someone. All I know about Wallace is that I wish Magic Brass had the foresight that 25% of the messageboard had back then and signed him (for less $$$) instead of Shard.

I don't know if thats a surprise when he will likely get another longterm deal from someone. All I know about Wallace is that I wish Magic Brass had the foresight that 25% of the messageboard had back then and signed him (for less $$$) instead of Shard.

and this team never goes to the NBA finals