Franchero MVP

Van Gundy - voted least popular coach in NBA

How many journeyman players become the missing piece on championship teams? Its not likely in the least bit.

We would not have gotten to the Big Show against the Lakers without journeyman Rafer Alston. He couldn't shoot 3's either.

We would not have gotten to the Big Show against the Lakers without journeyman Rafer Alston. He couldn't shoot 3's either.

He wasnt the "missing" piece. More of a band-aid literally being that Jameer was injured. Also my statement was more so to say its unlikely. With that said there are still a handful of players who have been the missing piece for championship teams. Ish fitting into that group is highly doubtful judging from his current play.

All this talk focusing solely on Ish Smith and Chris Duhon is pointless. It's one thing that you see as a clue. We have to look at the bigger picture.

That poll is a sampling of some players on who they would like to play for. That poll has a much bigger sampling size (about 25 percent) than most presidential polls. Most presidential polls survey 1,000 people or so and say they represent the entire country.

Yes, the Magic have won a lot of games while Van Gundy has been coach. He has been a big factor.

Has the payroll not also been huge? That has been a big factor. Have the Magic gotten bang for their buck on most of the players they have spent it on? I would say no, not on some guys.

Haven't the Magic had Dwight Howard on the roster the entire time Van Gundy has been here? I'm sure that had nothing to do with why he chose to coach Orlando and not Sacramento. Even he concedes that you need top talented players to win a lot of games. Didn't he have Dwyane Wade on his roster the entire time he coached the Heat (And did Wade ever actually say how he felt about Van Gundy? He sure does his best to bury the devil out of the Magic every time he plays them)?

You all are going to tell me, then, that the Magic would win a championship with Van Gundy as coach and another Heart & Hustle roster because of the brilliance of his coaching? You think the Amway Center is going to be filled every night? And of course, you all are going to attend every one of those games, right? I don't remember it going down that way the last time we tried that -- even though that team was fun to watch. The last game of the season was sold out. Most of the rest of the nights, there were a lot of empty seats.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I don't think anyone thinks Ish is an all-star or should be starting or anything like that. We have Jameer, who will probably lag 38-40 minutes in the playoffs and he's our starter and our best all-around offensive player. So we don't need a starting point guard. We need a guy who can come off the bench, provide some energy, some hustle plays, penetrate and kick to our shooters, and make things happen off the bench.

Ish can do that. I don't care if he's "out of place" on defense because Duhon is too freaking slow to be in the right spot or stay in front of his man too so that's a wash. Duhon can shoot, sure, but who is dishing it to him? Stan has tried to turn Wafer into a distributor because Duhon can't do it.

The way I look at it is very simple. Do we want JJ and Von trying to play point and kicking to Duhon working with essentially a 10 second shot clock.

Or do we want Ish penetrating and kicking to JJ for the three and/or allowing Wafer to be what he is, a scorer.

Option B for sure. If Duhon was 6'6, sweet, we have a Kyle Korver on our team (eh), but he's supposed to be a point guard and yet he possesses none of the attributes of a successful point guard. He can't drive, he can barely pass, he has horrible foot speed.

It's like Derek Fisher without the veteran leadership, the clutch ability, and Durant/Westbrook/Harden to run the show.

• Downvote 1