Sign in to follow this  
Bauncey Chillups

2012 Draft Discussion Thread?

Wroten isn't a pure point, he's very much a combo guard. However he does have good court vision, much better than the Tyreke comparisons indicate; some have even compared him to Rondo. Wroten's biggest issues are his terrible shooting from distance and at the foul line, his inability to go left and the turnovers. Everything else about him is pretty damn good and he's only 19. I see his best case as Rodney Stuckey with better vision and defense.

Marshall just doesn't do enough to make me like him. Great passer and can run an offense, but what else? When I said he's really unathletic, I don't mean in the Steve Nash sense. I mean in the sense that he's too slow to get past defenders and misses layups kind of unathletic. I'd much rather grab Scott Machado in the 2nd round instead of Marshall in the 1st.

A lot of big men are moving up, which means some good wings and guards will be on board at our pick. I hope my man Hen can work some "magic" and get us another pick. Houston would be a good trading partner.

might sound strange but i kinda like the fact that Wroten can't shoot.....that way you know he's going to be attacking and penetrating which he is best at.....with his great size he can take the punishment at the rim and get to the line a lot....now he has to improve that free throw stroke but Wroten fills a need and he has potential to be something very good....i would take a risk on potentially getting mix of Tyreke Evans and Rajon Rondo wouldn't you?

might sound strange but i kinda like the fact that Wroten can't shoot.....that way you know he's going to be attacking and penetrating which he is best at.....with his great size he can take the punishment at the rim and get to the line a lot....now he has to improve that free throw stroke but Wroten fills a need and he has potential to be something very good....i would take a risk on potentially getting mix of Tyreke Evans and Rajon Rondo wouldn't you?

Wroten's game sort of mirrors Russell Westbrook's game when he came out of UCLA. They both pretty much had the same strengths and weaknesses coming out of college. The only difference between the two coming out of college is Westbrook didn't have the "headcase" label that scouts put on Wroten. I heard numerous times that Wroten would be a top 5-10 pick if it wasn't for the character issues.

Wroten's game sort of mirrors Russell Westbrook's game when he came out of UCLA. They both pretty much had the same strengths and weaknesses coming out of college. The only difference between the two coming out of college is Westbrook didn't have the "headcase" label that scouts put on Wroten. I heard numerous times that Wroten would be a top 5-10 pick if it wasn't for the character issues.

I think that Russel though has a scorer's mentality.....how many times have we seen Russel miss wide open players because he's trying to create for himself? Wroten from what i've seen always keeps his head up and is always looking to get his teammates involved.....I love Russel and he is the mold that this era's PG's are turning into....i mean Rose/Wall/Kyrie/Westbrook are all in the Athletic/Speed mold and Wroten fits that criteria and then some since he's bigger than all of them and probably just as fast lol.....If we go Point Guard i would be very happy with Wroten......

Wroten has a decent shot form from what i have seen; it looks a bit akward but lefty players have weird looking forms since were not use to seeing left handed players a lot. I could see this guy driving and dishing it too reddick or anderson for the three. we need a player that can consistenly break down defenses and get inside

I like the Wroten pick, he stood out to me during the draft combine; has the build that makes him very nba ready, and his size and athleticism will really help us at the pg or even the sg if need be. I'd take the shot at him if he is there; plus he's got that swagger that I like to see in young nba players.

Considerations:

1. The Magic should offer Jason Richardson and a future protected first round pick to the Cavaliers for picks #24 and #33.

They could use a veteran 2-guard and won't have cap space problems for a while.

2. If Dwight is really gone, trading him, Turk, Duhon and rights to Fran Vazquez to the Bulls for Deng, Noah, Gibson, Watson, #29, their Bobcats pick in 2016 and the rights of Nicola Mirotic (the best big man in Euro right now) would be something to think about.

3. I think Glen Davis trade value is at its best right now. Trading him, Clark/Harper and a future protected 1st round pick to the Rockets for Dalembert and picks #14 and #16 would be interesting too.

---

I'm not saying the Magic should do any of the moves above, just exploring the options.

Players to draft with the picks mentioned:

#14 - Meyers Leonard (he's going to be very good), Austin Rivers

#16 - Terrence Ross, Jared Sullinger, Perry Jones

#19 - Moe Harkless, Royce White, Jared Sulinger (will drop after being redflagged)

#24 - Marquis Teague, Andrew Nicholson, Tony Wroten

#29 - Tyshawn Taylor, Evan Fournier

#33 - Will Barton, Doron Lamb

#49 - Scott Machado, Tornike Shengelia, DJ Odom, William Buford

If the Magic anyhow can get Leonard, Harkless and Wroten, it would be an excellent draft already.

• Downvote 1