Sign in to follow this  
Ryan the Magic Fan

I miss Vince Carter

Yeah I'm normally the last guy to ever jump in and make a thread like this. But I've had it. So many here have directed their hate at so many places. SVG, Otis, Duhon, and Hedo are normally the prime suspects in all this, and normally I'm all happy to jump on the hate trains for Hedo and Otis. But one man has escaped scrutiny so far and I'm just about had enough of his constant lackluster effort.

Jason Richardson.

Wasn't this the guy who was supposed to take over and be the more consistent perimeter scoring threat the Magic needed to win in the playoffs? The guy everyone swore up and down was such a drastic upgrade to VC? "He doesn't wince!" "He shows up in the playoffs!" "He's better on defense!"

I've seen none of these things. In fact, even though being older by FOUR years and being on a team that certainly does not need his scoring ability like the Magic do from Jason, Carter is averaging comparable (and IMO BETTER) stats to J-Rich:

Vince Carter

MPG: 24.7 / PPG: 9.7 / FG%: 40.8 / 3P%: 37.3 / FT%: 78.8 / RPG: 3.1 / APG: 2.2

Jason Richardson

MPG: 28.8 / PPG: 11.0 / FG%: 40.5 / 3P%: 35.6 / FT%: 56.1 / RPG: 3.3 / APG: 1.9

So for those of you who don't like looking at numbers, essentially Carter is putting up just slightly less scoring numbers but at the same time shooting a better percentage in all 3 categories while putting up comparable numbers to Jason in all other categories, all while playing LESS minutes. On a team with far less usage rate then Jason gets on the Magic.

And better yet is what the two are making. Jason Richardson is right now making 5.3 million a year that will escalate over 4 years to 6.6 million in his fourth year that has a PLAYER option. Vince is making 3 million that will escalate to a third year at 3.18 million with a TEAM OPTION FOR THE NEXT TWO YEARS.

So while Vince was had for even less and has complete and total flexibility with his contract for his team, Jason's contract is more and also for longer time that hamstrings his team. ALL FOR THE SAME LEVEL OF PLAY!!!

I said it when the trade was made and everyone shouted me down. Those two trades were without a doubt the worst made in Magic Basketball History. We gave up Lewis for Arenas, a player with a longer contract at a position we already had our starter at. We amnestied him anyway. We gave up Peaches, who granted I despised, our best perimeter defender and off the bench scorer, for Earl Clark, a player who hardly ever sees the floor. Carter for Richardson, which has proven was in no way whatsoever an upgrade. And Hedo Turkoglu for Marcin Gortat, essentially sacrificing all the size advantage we had and backup defense on the team for a player with a horrible contract that brings more negatives then positives. Oh and we gave up a draft pick too! OUR FIRST ROUND ONE!!!

So what's this post all about? Why make this whole damn thread? Plain and simple. I want Otis Smith gone. Out of here. Poof like the Amway Arena. If he were placed on the top of Mount Everest it still would not be far enough away. He sacrificed the long term future of the team for short term moves that didn't even look like (too me anyway) they would have worked in the first place. There are only maybe 5 players on this team worth a damn who could contribute for a championship contending team and the rest are beyond garbage.

At one point Orlando had without a doubt one of the deepest teams in the league. We sent out a back line of JWill, JJ, Peaches, Bass, and Gortat and watched it crush many teams starters. THAT WAS ONLY TWO SEASONS AGO!

But back to J-Rich. The only reason he still has a starting spot is because the idea of having JJ start out a game being forced to guard elite 2's makes both me and most likely SVG cringe. More and more we are seeing JJ finish games and J-Rich buried at the end of the bench. And this was the one part of the trade everyone crowed about being the best part!!!

So when all of you continue to crow about SVG and how bad of a coach he is, remember what got us in this situation. As for J-Rich the guy is mediocre at best and we are paying him solid starter money. I miss Vince Carter. Sure he winces. But at 4 years J-Riches senior he can still do this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDr4uk3rXbA

While J-Rich gives us this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj-ZfzQ-kdY

• Upvote 2

They're both pretty much done. The worst part of all of this is that Otis gave him an extension this past summer even though he didn't exceed expectations last season

• Upvote 1

You know honestly, if he actually played like he cared.... he would done some nice things in Orlando. But he didnt, and instead "Winced", resulting in another non championship year for him and every team he has been on.

While Vince is still above Richardson in terms of play, atleast Richardson hasnt "Winced" on us or done it several times in a single year.

What I do miss is a consistent SG, we havent had one in a long time.

I love Vince but he's too old. I'd still have him over J-Rich, but he's not what would take us over the top.

It'd be a dream to have prime Vince with prime Dwight though

I love Vince but he's too old. I'd still have him over J-Rich, but he's not what would take us over the top.

It'd be a dream to have prime Vince with prime Dwight though

I'd rather have a prime T-Mac than Carter

• Upvote 1

Vince was a good player for us, but people were expecting 20 ppg and taking over games and didn't quite get that. J-Rich has been a disaster here, partly because I don't feel he fits our offense very well.