Sign in to follow this  
Bang Gundy

JR Smith: Like or Dislike?

Yes or No  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Yes or No

The Orlando Magic may have emerged as a leading suitor for guard J.R. Smith.

Smith, who signed in China during the lockout, is expected to be available as a free agent on February 16th.

Once he receives a Letter of Clearance, he’ll be free to sign once again in the NBA.While players cannot always be taken by their word on their Twitter feeds, but guard J.R. Smith has six teams listed on his profile: New York Knicks, Los Angeles Lakers, Los Angeles Clippers, Chicago Bulls, Indiana Pacers and Magic.

Orlando is in a difficult spot, trying to find the means to entice center Dwight Howard to stay beyond his current contract. While the organization may look to trade him before the deadline, it’s ultimately the last thing they would like to do.

As previously detailed (http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-2-rondo-for-gasol-a-possiblity), multiple sources have indicated that Smith is looking for more than a minimum contract. He also wants the opportunity to showcase his talents in a significant role.

That would theoretically take both the Lakers and Clippers out of the running, although don’t put it past Smith to have a change of heart. The Lakers might provide Smith with the most media exposure. The Clippers have former teammates who are all pitching in to try and sway his opinion (Chris Paul, Chauncey Billups and Kenyon Martin).

Additionally, sources have told HOOPSWORLD that the Pacers do not intend to sign Smith, despite having easily the most money to offer out of any team the NBA.

The Knicks may be the best combination of showcase (they can start him), media attention and salary ($2.5 million available).

Meanwhile the Bulls have some interest as well and their $1.9 million Bi-Annual Exception to spend. Chicago (along with the Miami HEAT), would probably be favored by most pundits to make the Eastern Conference Finals.

While the Magic already have two shooting guards in Jason Richardson and J.J. Redick, they also have the advantage over most suitors with about $4.9 million of their Mid-Level Exception (MLE) still available.

Under the new Collective Bargaining Agreement, a team cannot use their full MLE to climb to $4 million over the luxury tax. Currently the Magic are under; any investment in Smith would put Orlando above the threshold.

Orlando would also have to waive an additional player to make a roster spot, perhaps center Daniel Orton who has played all off three minutes for the Magic this season after missing his rookie year with a knee injury. Other possible waiver option might be DeAndre Liggins or Ish Smith.

The Lakers, Clippers, Pacers and Bulls each have open roster space. The Knicks would have to make room, perhaps Mike Bibby.

Oddly Smith does not list the Minnesota Timberwolves who have interest, $2.5 million to spend, a starting role and possibly a chance to sneak into the playoffs.

link: http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-2-magic-a-favorite-for-j-r-smith

I like the idea. He can be explosive and take over games and I believe he and Dwight go back a ways. It wouldn't be Otis' worst signing for sure...I'm all for it.

Please edit that down to 4 paragraphs and include a link. We had problems in the past with other sites complaining about how we were re posting their stuff.

I don't even know what to make of signing players like this anymore, I mean it's a mid-level deal and an obvious move to try and keep Dwight if it works great, if not I guess he's still very moveable. I know he can shoot the hell out of the ball I just remember him being in love with the outside shot more than trying to attack so I don't know that it fixes our issues.

Please edit that down to 4 paragraphs and include a link. We had problems in the past with other sites complaining about how we were re posting their stuff.

I don't even know what to make of signing players like this anymore, I mean it's a mid-level deal and an obvious move to try and keep Dwight if it works great, if not I guess he's still very moveable. I know he can shoot the hell out of the ball I just remember him being in love with the outside shot more than trying to attack so I don't know that it fixes our issues.

Thank You

If we sign him somebody would have to be traded. We would have 3 sgs that are similar in the fact that theyre mid-level guards(as far as play). I rather keep redick to back up JR and send Richardson and hopefully a bad contract somewhere for a backup point and solid role player. I dont know if its possible but heres to dreaming.

I'm on board if we move one of our other SGs for a PG. JJ for Mo Williams or Meer and JJ for Nash, etc.

Yeah that is the only way I'm in agreement with this plan. Man could you imagine Steve Nash working with JR Smith? Every SG that has ever played with him has seen their production go up big time.