Sign in to follow this  
TrueMagicFan07

Official Game Thread: Magic @ Bobcats

If you just focus on stats, and don't see the flow of the game, in which Magic defenders were letting Bobcats slashers to attack the basket with ease without doing anything remotely resembling to a defense, then there is no point arguing.

Ok, stop right there cupcake.

This whole "you just use stats and don't watch the game" thing? That's a strawman. NO ONE actually does that. No one.

I've missed one *****ing Magic game in the last 5 years. I've watched more NBA basketball this week than most people on this board will in a month. I watched every second of last night's game. And you know what? You're wrong.

Were there a couple defensive meltdowns on individual plays? Of course there were. There are in every game for every team. The '99 Spurs might be the best defensive team I've ever seen, and there were still times where Duncan and Robinson got screwed up on their rotations. But you know what happened in last night's game beyond a few blown rotations?

The Bobcats putting up an Ortg below 90 and a eFG% below .400, which is ghastly.

The team's overall defense for the last 3 games has been superb, beyond a bunch of fouling in the Rockets game.

Also: Giving the man you're guarding on the wing the baseline drive isn't "bad defense."

It's "funneling the offense towards your shot-blocker."

Disagree. And this was the whole point i was trying to make. Being effortless, while allowing the penetration in the easiest way, is not good defense. The fact that this Defense is built for Howard to block 5 shots a game or to alter the shots by the penetrating man, sucks.

A defense when you are relying in one man to do all the work, that's not a good D. Oh, that's right...we are "funneling our D to Howard"..."all highways lead to Howard". Tell me, if you are SVG, how the hell can you plan a defense like this? You need to be aggressive in the man-to-man. This will lower Dwight's workload, as well as lowering the efficiency of our opponent.

What you are telling, basically is "Coaching Orlando with Howard is easy on defense. You just let every one of the 4 guys around him let his man penetrate without doing a single thing, because Howard is going to be there and save us all". Explain me how this is good defense. You cannot rely on Howard to be the only guy in this defense. Well, actually you can, but your D would not be reaching its potential WITH HIM, and would suck WITHOUT HIM.

What you are telling, basically is "Coaching Orlando with Howard is easy on defense. You just let every one of the 4 guys around him let his man penetrate without doing a single thing, because Howard is going to be there and save us all". Explain me how this is good defense. You cannot rely on Howard to be the only guy in this defense. Well, actually you can, but your D would not be reaching its potential WITH HIM, and would suck WITHOUT HIM.

What you are telling, basically is "Everyone around Howard should be able to make the All-Defense team, and if they don't then the defense sucks and Dwight's contributions to it should be ignored."

That's no more an exaggeration of your position than what you just wrote.

Also why does it matter if our defense without Howard sucks? He have Howard. Our everything sucks without him. But that's ok, because he's still on the team.

Disagree. And this was the whole point i was trying to make. Being effortless, while allowing the penetration in the easiest way, is not good defense. The fact that this Defense is built for Howard to block 5 shots a game or to alter the shots by the penetrating man, sucks.

A defense when you are relying in one man to do all the work, that's not a good D. Oh, that's right...we are "funneling our D to Howard"..."all highways lead to Howard". Tell me, if you are SVG, how the hell can you plan a defense like this? You need to be aggressive in the man-to-man. This will lower Dwight's workload, as well as lowering the efficiency of our opponent.

It's the same defense we've always played, nothing has changed. No, they don't let their man just blow by them without doing a single thing the perimeter guys are geared towards making thier man go toward Dwight at specific points on the floor. With the way defense is ref'd you have to surrender something so you give up what hurts you the least and that means moving them towards Dwight.

How many shots did he change last night? How many times did you see that penetration only to have guys kick back out while we were ready to run the shooter off the 3pt line? DJ Augustin looked like he pooped himself when he got into the lane a couple of times and saw Dwight there.

It's the same defense we've always played, nothing has changed. No, they don't let their man just blow by them without doing a single thing the perimeter guys are geared towards making thier man go toward Dwight at specific points on the floor. With the way defense is ref'd you have to surrender something so you give up what hurts you the least and that means moving them towards Dwight.

How many shots did he change last night? How many times did you see that penetration only to have guys kick back out while we were ready to run the shooter off the 3pt line? DJ Augustin looked like he pooped himself when he got into the lane a couple of times and saw Dwight there.

To be fair I've seen Dwight level Augustin several times. He took him out of the game before. With that said, I'd be scared too.