Drain-O

The Official Dwight Howard Everything Thread

It should be noted that if D12 opts out, he would be taking a pay cut for the 2012 season (scheduled to make 19.3 mil) but would gain long term security. If he does not opt out, we are set to be players in 2013 free agency (cp3, iggy, j smith....)

Two points to address, based on the last 3 posts:

1) Eskobar's numbers are wrong. A player's starting salary can be over the 30% number if their previous salary was itself over that number. In that case, players' salaries start at, I believe, 105% of the previous year's salary.

2) We would have been able to be players in the 2013 Free agency even with Dwight, which is part of why trading Dwight for CAP space was always a really dumb idea.

Simply just winning games this early isn't enough. Otis has to make a move to drastically improve the roster to compete with the other elites.

The Kobe 2007 example in this forum is premature, because Kobe didn't backaway from retracting his trade demand even when the Lakers were basically winning in Nov, Dec, Jan. In fact they were #3 or #4 seed in the West still with Kwame Brown on their roster. But that didn't stop the Lakers from upgrading the roster and trading for all-star Pau Gasol in Feb. That was the only time when all talk of Kobe wanting to be traded stopped and Lakers ended up being #1 seed afterwards.

Otis can't rely on just standing pat because we've won 3 games against sub-par teams and think that we'll still be a Top 5 team in the East. For Dwight to stay, Otis must bring in another star that will help get us back to #1 or #2, and not just settle being a Top 5 team in the East by March.

Simply just winning games this early isn't enough. Otis has to make a move to drastically improve the roster to compete with the other elites.

The Kobe 2007 example in this forum is premature, because Kobe didn't backaway from retracting his trade demand even when the Lakers were basically winning in Nov, Dec, Jan. In fact they were #3 or #4 seed in the West still with Kwame Brown on their roster. But that didn't stop the Lakers from upgrading the roster and trading for all-star Pau Gasol in Feb. That was the only time when all talk of Kobe wanting to be traded stopped and Lakers ended up being #1 seed afterwards.

Otis can't rely on just standing pat because we've won 3 games against sub-par teams and think that we'll still be a Top 5 team in the East. For Dwight to stay, Otis must bring in another star that will help get us back to #1 or #2, and not just settle being a Top 5 team in the East by March.

Why doesn't anybody mention the 'make a trade now, winning games isn't enough!' mentality is exactly what screwed us over last year in those terrible trades

Why doesn't anybody mention the 'make a trade now, winning games isn't enough!' mentality is exactly what screwed us over last year in those terrible trades

I think you have to look at who we traded for in those instances.

I personally think the Vince Carter move was the right choice after the finals run. Everyone seems to forget Turk wasn't that great during the 2009 regular season. He had an extremely solid run in the playoffs, but that was an exception; he was looking to get paid on his last year out. He was also aging. With Vince, we got a higher calibur player who was also on a relatively short contract, just in case things didn't work out. We also got Ryan Anderson on that deal, who is a stud.

Where Otis completely screwed up was in last years trade. And I say completely screwed up. We lost all our depth, traded a great backup center, and were left with worse contracts than we had before.

I think you have to look at who we traded for in those instances.

I personally think the Vince Carter move was the right choice after the finals run. Everyone seems to forget Turk wasn't that great during the 2009 regular season. He had an extremely solid run in the playoffs, but that was an exception; he was looking to get paid on his last year out. He was also aging. With Vince, we got a higher calibur player who was also on a relatively short contract, just in case things didn't work out. We also got Ryan Anderson on that deal, who is a stud.

Where Otis completely screwed up was in last years trade. And I say completely screwed up. We lost all our depth, traded a great backup center, and were left with worse contracts than we had before.

I'll admit I liked the VC move at the time, but he did not work out and it cost of a promising rookie and a decent PF in Battie, which in turn led to the poor trades last year. Keeping Turk instead would have let us keep Lee and Battie and in turn, Gortat. Granted we got Anderson out of the deal, which is paying out great. Have not heard much about Lee, so I am not sure how he would have worked out in Orlando had he stayed here.

On the flip side, the these trades have not really helped out the other teams either. Has Lewis done much in Washington? They chose not to aminsty him. I might be wrong, but I was under the impression, the amnisty period was a one time only period.

Phx still has Gortat, but no longer has VC or Peitrus and we still have J Rich and Earl Clark. Clark, if he can put his game together, could at the very least be a good defensive PF. I know, losing Gortat was big, just saying.

I'll admit I liked the VC move at the time, but he did not work out and it cost of a promising rookie and a decent PF in Battie, which in turn led to the poor trades last year. Keeping Turk instead would have let us keep Lee and Battie and in turn, Gortat. Granted we got Anderson out of the deal, which is paying out great. Have not heard much about Lee, so I am not sure how he would have worked out in Orlando had he stayed here.

On the flip side, the these trades have not really helped out the other teams either. Has Lewis done much in Washington? They chose not to aminsty him. I might be wrong, but I was under the impression, the amnisty period was a one time only period.

Phx still has Gortat, but no longer has VC or Peitrus and we still have J Rich and Earl Clark. Clark, if he can put his game together, could at the very least be a good defensive PF. I know, losing Gortat was big, just saying.

Amnesty can be used once within the new CBA. They could amnesty him next year if they want.... but there is no point as they would still be paying for him and it would not provide a advantage at all.

I think that the Carter trade was fine. Hey look at Ryan Anderson now. But the Gortat and Lewis trades were terrible.

Amnesty can be used once within the new CBA. They could amnesty him next year if they want.... but there is no point as they would still be paying for him and it would not provide a advantage at all.

I think that the Carter trade was fine. Hey look at Ryan Anderson now. But the Gortat and Lewis trades were terrible.

Only issue I have with the original Carter trade was the splitting up of an NBA finals unit. In the process changing dynamic quite a bit. RA has turned out fantastic and that's really the meat and veg of the trade now.....hindsight is funny.

Tat and Lewis trades were, yes, ****.

My apologies if this has been posted but interesting words.

DwightHoward : "It's starting to remind me of team that went to Finals. Instead of pting fingers, we stick together and get the job done."

DwightHoward : "It's starting to remind me of team that went to Finals. Instead of pting fingers, we stick together and get the job done."

Nice! Love it!

At this early point we can really thank Ryan and J.J for that and maybe a bit of Turk too!