Drain-O

The Official Dwight Howard Everything Thread

Howard needs to be UNlike any of the other recent megastars. Forget Shaq, forget Lebron, forget Melo. Legacy is built on commitment. Bird, Jordan, Johnson, Kobe, Duncan, and Nowitzki will forever be remembered for leading their team to victory. Dwight needs to realize he could be the face of the new generation, and didn't need to team up with another superpower elsewhere. I have faith his attitude is beginning to change. He is smiling more and praising his teammates more. It's a risk, but I think the Magic are not going to trade him...

• Downvote 1

Howard needs to be UNlike any of the other recent megastars. Forget Shaq, forget Lebron, forget Melo. Legacy is built on commitment. Bird, Jordan, Johnson, Kobe, Duncan, and Nowitzki will forever be remembered for leading their team to victory. Dwight needs to realize he could be the face of the new generation, and didn't need to team up with another superpower elsewhere. I have faith his attitude is beginning to change. He is smiling more and praising his teammates more. It's a risk, but I think the Magic are not going to trade him...

As opposed to Wilt, Moses, Oscar Robertson, or Charles Barkley, who are all remembered as players who sucked because they switched teams multiple times?

Lebron is really the only "megastar" who did what he did. He joined someone else's team. Everyone knew kind of like Shaq that Carmelo's ultimate desire since he was drafted was to end up a Knick. That is why he did not consent to going to New Jersey.

Dwight can do whatever he wants. I just hope he is forthcoming with management and tells them he is 100% moving on so therefore they can get something of value for him and dump Turk. Really the pieces they get are secondary to clearing payroll in my mind.

Also most guys who play their whole careers with one team win championships. I mean why would Jordan or Magic have ever left their franchises?

that's a lot of hate for a player. I did lol at your colorful descriptions though.

and, i think evil dead was being sarcastic.

Ofcourse I was being sarcastic. That guy who blocked me might need to look up the definition in Webster's.

Take away both those players' salaries, and we have a whopping 2.5 million in CAP space.

You can dislike those deals if you want, but blaming them for our inability to sign Deron Williams is like blaming two snowflakes for an entire avalanche.

Edit: The 2.5m number was based on the notion that you wanted to sign Deron Williams and still have Dwight playing here.

I never said we would have any cap space by not having those contracts, I just said it ruined any chances of it happening. We'd obviously have to cut JJ's nonguaranteed contract, hope Bass opts out, same with Jameer and likely still dump a contract. But with BBD and J-Rich on the books that just can't happen. Not criticizing Otis for not trying the salary dump, because he likely couldn't pull it off, just stating that those contracts throw it off.

Stuff like this from the media ticks me the heck off. We treat Dwight like a super mega star every game. There is a spanish guy right behind the basket shaking a Superman Cape every single game for years now. I dont understand this B.S>

Derek

Hi Steve!! Give me a realistic trade or moves that makes Dwight stay in O-town.

Steve Kyler

You guys keep hanging on to this idea that a trade of any magnitude keeps Dwight in Orlando… Its not about that.

Unless Miami decides to drop Dwayne Wade in Orlando… or Deron Williams gets traded for scraps… its not likely going to turn the situation because its bigger than roster parts… Its about the future… its about life away from basketball… he said as much last night:

“I wish more people could see how it feels to go into another arena and have the big faces, the posters. It’s a blessing and a whole new experience. It feels good to have a great reception, not only here, but everywhere I go.”

He wants the rock star treatment… its bigger than the roster.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-rumors-chat-with-steve-kyler-22312

Stuff like this from the media ticks me the heck off. We treat Dwight like a super mega star every game. There is a spanish guy right behind the basket shaking a Superman Cape every single game for years now. I dont understand this B.S>

Derek

Steve Kyler

You guys keep hanging on to this idea that a trade of any magnitude keeps Dwight in Orlando… Its not about that.

Unless Miami decides to drop Dwayne Wade in Orlando… or Deron Williams gets traded for scraps… its not likely going to turn the situation because its bigger than roster parts… Its about the future… its about life away from basketball… he said as much last night:

“I wish more people could see how it feels to go into another arena and have the big faces, the posters. It’s a blessing and a whole new experience. It feels good to have a great reception, not only here, but everywhere I go.”

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-rumors-chat-with-steve-kyler-22312

Hate to say it, but Kyler's right. If Dwight leaves, it won't be because of the roster, no matter what he claims. Yes, this team as it is probably won't make it back to the finals (unless it gets REAL hot at exactly the right time), or win a championship, but it's still better than probably 80% of the teams out there. Even a Williams-Dwight Combo isn't good enough to win a 'ship on its own (although you'd likely see something like Miami, Boston, and NYC, where veteran players flock there to "win").

No, Dwight would go there because NYC is FLAMING HUGE, and no matter how great the Orlando fans are, they can't match the numbers that Brooklyn could field, the media exposure NYC has, the sheer focus of attention that comes from being in one of the most diverse cities in the world. Orlando has a population of 238,000. NYC has a population of over EIGHT MILLION PEOPLE. And there's tons of sports fans in there. And there's gobs of people that will go "counter-culture" and root for the Nets even though the Knicks will likely be a better team. If even 10% of that population knows who Dwight is, that's more than three times the population of all Orlando, and all of Orlando is not a fan of the Magic.

The only hope is that Dwight isn't traded in the next month, the Magic do really well, and he pulls a Tim Duncan and decides to stick it out in a small market. Of course, Tim was a one-of-a-kind relatively introverted player who didn't need the big accolades, popularity, or anything else. He also won a championship his first year and was playing for a really dominant team that was regularly in the running for at least the finals.

I....don't know.

I hope we can keep Dwight. I just don't think it'll happen.

• Upvote 1

Hate to say it, but Kyler's right. If Dwight leaves, it won't be because of the roster, no matter what he claims. Yes, this team as it is probably won't make it back to the finals (unless it gets REAL hot at exactly the right time), or win a championship, but it's still better than probably 80% of the teams out there. Even a Williams-Dwight Combo isn't good enough to win a 'ship on its own (although you'd likely see something like Miami, Boston, and NYC, where veteran players flock there to "win").

No, Dwight would go there because NYC is FLAMING HUGE, and no matter how great the Orlando fans are, they can't match the numbers that Brooklyn could field, the media exposure NYC has, the sheer focus of attention that comes from being in one of the most diverse cities in the world. Orlando has a population of 238,000. NYC has a population of over EIGHT MILLION PEOPLE. And there's tons of sports fans in there. And there's gobs of people that will go "counter-culture" and root for the Nets even though the Knicks will likely be a better team. If even 10% of that population knows who Dwight is, that's more than three times the population of all Orlando, and all of Orlando is not a fan of the Magic.

The only hope is that Dwight isn't traded in the next month, the Magic do really well, and he pulls a Tim Duncan and decides to stick it out in a small market. Of course, Tim was a one-of-a-kind relatively introverted player who didn't need the big accolades, popularity, or anything else. He also won a championship his first year and was playing for a really dominant team that was regularly in the running for at least the finals.

I....don't know.

I hope we can keep Dwight. I just don't think it'll happen.

They will never be the Knicks. They weren't the Knicks when they had a fun team to watch and were going to the finals every year, they won't be them with Dwight and Deron. Having said all of that I'm with you on everything else, that honeymoon period will be exactly what he is looking for. I find it ridiculous that a guy that is adored around the globe needs more attention but it's his life. If it were me I would prefer to be original, I would prefer to do things different than my peers but I can also see why he would want to do something different from what he's done for the past 8 yrs.

I don't think he stays either, my hope is that Otis follows him right out the door and we spend money on a good GM so we can try and prevent this from happening when the next franchise player comes around. We are a small market team, we are always going to have a shelf life on contending. Once we get a franchise guy in here we need to make it happen within 4-5 yrs or we should just plan on seeing the next one walk as well.

it's funny because i'm a big fan of jay-z since i first heard dead presidents in like 94 or whenever that was, but as much as i like jay-z, the whole "I'm gonna make the nets trendy" thing just isn't gonna work. it's like if jay-z did a kia commercial, you just can't make somethings cool...

now mark cuban on the other hand....

that's for you DoM

Derek

Steve Kyler

http://www.hoopsworl...eve-kyler-22312

You know, until Dwight puts on another uniform then it doesnt matter what anyone says. SK has his own opinions (mostly wrong) putting in stock into what he upchucks is on you. As for me I know the media says whatever is trendy, they hated on Dwight in the past.... but now want Dwight to play for their city team.

Orlando is a great city, with great people, that fills arenas.... Dwight has started his legacy already for the past 8yrs, if he continues he will be a legend who did it his way. If he moves, then Dwight will be known for that guy who couldnt get it done much like Lebron (CLE) and Melo (DEN) and Shaq (ORL).

The season is half way over, what happens next will happen soon. Which ever way it goes is cool with me, but im thinking Dwight will stay.

They will never be the Knicks. They weren't the Knicks when they had a fun team to watch and were going to the finals every year, they won't be them with Dwight and Deron. Having said all of that I'm with you on everything else, that honeymoon period will be exactly what he is looking for. I find it ridiculous that a guy that is adored around the globe needs more attention but it's his life. If it were me I would prefer to be original, I would prefer to do things different than my peers but I can also see why he would want to do something different from what he's done for the past 8 yrs.

I don't think he stays either, my hope is that Otis follows him right out the door and we spend money on a good GM so we can try and prevent this from happening when the next franchise player comes around. We are a small market team, we are always going to have a shelf life on contending. Once we get a franchise guy in here we need to make it happen within 4-5 yrs or we should just plan on seeing the next one walk as well.

Definitely hope we blow money on a good, well-staffed front office. After hearing that, it just explains....everything, really. It doesn't matter if you have a huge payroll of players if they're the wrong players.