Sign in to follow this  
Jareth Cutestory

Offseason Thread Part III: Revenge of the Smith (p.47 post 554)

Hi guys... I've returned from leak-break... anything juicy? Chase asked Dwight something?

OMG YOU MISSED....

nothing.

....*sigh*

Guys, I don't want to say strap in, but I got some stuff from my source (such a fun word to throw around) in New Orleans. Lewis4theloss can vouch for me, I was the first to break the CP3 wanting to come to Orlando story, but nobody on this board ever listens to me (I blame Jareth). Here are a series of texts from last night and just a little bit ago.

Last night:

Me: A lot of people are starting those rumors again of CP3 getting dealt, what are you hearing? 12:46 AM

Source: Hearing same thing. 12:48 AM

Me: Really, who? 12:49 AM

Source: Hearing Spurs. 12:53 AM

Me: Are you *****ing serious? For who? 12:53 AM

Source: Dunno my boy.. 12:54 AM

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Those are the conversations word for word (with the exception of me cleaning up the "text language" and making everything easier to read). It doesn't say much, but it gives us an idea of what rumors are out there (Spurs?) and hey, we got a quote from CP3.

@OMagicDaily

Orlando Magic Daily Listening to @chadfordinsider on @sportsguy33 podcast right now. Ford suggests Otis knows Howard won't leave for another mid-market. http://twitter.com/#!/OMagicDaily

If this is true (and it does make sense that D12 might not have an incentive to leave for another mid-market city, then what are D12's options for 2012 free agency? New York, LA and Chicago won't have that kind of cap space to sign him outright, especially if the new CBA becomes more restrictive. So, where does he go? New Jersey/Brooklyn? Dwight seems like a smart guy and probably has smart people advising him. His best option may very well be to give Magic management time to formulate a realistic game plan for the next few years and not panic if the Magic are not able to pull off some blockbuster move this summer. As we all know, the Magic are not exactly in a great position to be able to make any major deals this summer. No doubt ownership is willing to do anything and everything to pull off a major deal. But, the cap situation is what it is.

@OMagicDaily

Orlando Magic Daily Listening to @chadfordinsider on @sportsguy33 podcast right now. Ford suggests Otis knows Howard won't leave for another mid-market. http://twitter.com/#!/OMagicDaily

If this is true (and it does make sense that D12 might not have an incentive to leave for another mid-market city, then what are D12's options for 2012 free agency? New York, LA and Chicago won't have that kind of cap space to sign him outright, especially if the new CBA becomes more restrictive. So, where does he go? New Jersey/Brooklyn? Dwight seems like a smart guy and probably has smart people advising him. His best option may very well be to give Magic management time to formulate a realistic game plan for the next few years and not panic if the Magic are not able to pull off some blockbuster move this summer. As we all know, the Magic are not exactly in a great position to be able to make any major deals this summer. No doubt ownership is willing to do anything and everything to pull off a major deal. But, the cap situation is what it is.

LA Clippers

LA Clippers

As laughable as that would have been a couple years ago, it's exactly the kind of place Dwight might consider. Big market, but team with no real history. Of course, with the Lakers playing in the same arena...

Man it's gonna suck going back to 20-30 win seasons and no playoffs :(

Off-seasons would start EVEN earlier :shard:

And each season would be OFF! :svgsad:

Then we could maybe hire Isiah Thomas as GM? He wouldn't have to bring us way over the cap, we'd already be there so he'd feel comfortable.

Imagine if Lewis and Carter had played at least decently in the 2010 ECF. We may have gone on to win the title that year and all of this would have never happened. :svgsad:

I really hope Otis can turn this around, because it just feels like our run as contenders didn't last that long at all.

Well one benefit would be higher draft picks............... Now we just need a decent scout to scout these players out.

• Upvote 2

newtrade.jpg

Orl: Josh and Vince, and getting rid of Turks contract

Atl: Get a starting center so they can move Horford to the 4, and Turk (who can hit the 3 and handle the ball)

Get rid of Williams contract

Pho: yeah they're taking on a lot of contracts but their window with Nash is closing.

PG: Nash

SG: Ellis

SF: Williams

PF: Bass

C: Gortat

that will get them back in the playoffs

Golden State: Cap relief, a PG to mesh with Curry, Solid Center in Lopez and Childress

Could it work?

Well one benefit would be higher draft picks............... Now we just need a decent scout to scout these players out.

This. Seriously - it's one thing to miss out on the sneak pick of the draft a few times, but at least occasionally, you should strike gold. We get one good player for about about 20 we draft.

I'd be curious to see how the Magic stack up against other elite teams in picking draft winners. That would be picks outside of the obvious (Shaq, Dwight, CWebb).