Sign in to follow this  
MagicPeach0413

Why not allow rookie center Daniel Orton to play behind Dwight?

I have one question, and that is has everyone forgotton last year's draft? Well if you have we drafted Daniel Orton! He is a 6'10 Center with alot of raw ability! Around town and the media I hear: "Oh we don't have a backup center" , "Oh we are struggling because of no backup center". I'm sorry but HELLO! Has anyone given or entertained the idea that we have a 6'10 Center that we drafted who hasn't even touched a basketball yet? Face it we are in a crunch with money now, if we dont start making lemonade out of lemons soon and start testing this kid out then why did we draft him? Or better why is he not even practicing with the team?

I have one question, and that is has everyone forgotton last year's draft? Well if you have we drafted Daniel Orton! He is a 6'10 Center with alot of raw ability! Around town and the media I hear: "Oh we don't have a backup center" , "Oh we are struggling because of no backup center". I'm sorry but HELLO! Has anyone given or entertained the idea that we have a 6'10 Center that we drafted who hasn't even touched a basketball yet? Face it we are in a crunch with money now, why dont we make lemonade out of lemons and start testing this kid out?

He was injured for a majority of last season, otherwise we might have given him some burn toward the end of the season instead of resorting to Malik Allen and Brandon Bass(lol) to play backup center. We might get a chance to see what he can do this year, but he could also be put into a trade package as a lot of people have suggested on these forums. I honestly hope we give him a shot. In a perfect world, he an Earl Clark become decent defenders, but who knows.

edit: why did I quote the OP? whatever, it's staying.

Not only what was said by Jec and everyone else, but there is not much to compare him to. He barely played at Kentucky the one season he was there, and then he injured himself. He gets drafted and then injures himself again after playing like crap in summer league. Right now he seems more likely to have an injury prone career than a career as a solid backup. I do think everyone is hoping for the best with him though, we need him to step up enough to atleast become trade bait.

• Upvote 3

Not only what was said by Jec and everyone else, but there is not much to compare him to. He barely played at Kentucky the one season he was there, and then he injured himself. He gets drafted and then injures himself again after playing like crap in summer league. Right now he seems more likely to have an injury prone career than a career as a solid backup. I do think everyone is hoping for the best with him though, we need him to step up enough to atleast become trade bait.

this.

He didn't get injured at Kentucky, he got injured toward the beginning of his senior year of High School (just to clarify that the injury wasn't as close as people might think).

The reason he didn't play much at KY wasn't because of lack of talent, it was just because there was better talent available (Patrick Patterson and Demarcus Cousins). But when he came in, he was a good rebounder and an excellent shot blocker. Struggled with switching on PNR and helpside D, but those hopefully he'll learn while he's with the Magic.

He could be a valuable asset especially if the Magic can't get any via free agency or trade. Can't rely on him for a lot of points, but as long as that knee is healthy, he is decent on the rebounding end.

• Upvote 1