Sign in to follow this  
barnettej

Grade Otis Smith Sentinel Article

frist grading otis means nothing. he is at most just an advisor to the devos family. they have others making the big decision. his advice has been poor especially giving up lee for vince, giving up gortat, and the worst is gil. however he surely did not make the final decision on any of these deals. with that being said, i think there will be some big moves this summer to improve the pg/pf positions. they have to defend, rebound, and hopefully learn to pass. i am excited to see what happens. we will all be surprised.

• Downvote 1

frist grading otis means nothing. he is at most just an advisor to the devos family. they have others making the big decision. his advice has been poor especially giving up lee for vince, giving up gortat, and the worst is gil. however he surely did not make the final decision on any of these deals. with that being said, i think there will be some big moves this summer to improve the pg/pf positions. they have to defend, rebound, and hopefully learn to pass. i am excited to see what happens. we will all be surprised.

wut

If he hadn't made the trades, said "I LIKE THIS TEAM" and we lost in the first round, I would give him an F.

I'd be more of a fan of standing pat. At least we wouldn't have traded crappy contracts for even more

Crappy contacts

I'd be more of a fan of standing pat. At least we wouldn't have traded crappy contracts for even more

Crappy contacts

But people would be freaking out more because we weren't proactive. Can't always look at results, you need to look at the whole process.

But people would be freaking out more because we weren't proactive. Can't always look at results, you need to look at the whole process.

Imagine how many people would be freaking out right now because we were about to let VC expire for nothing and were stuck with a broken knee Lewis til 2013. . .

If he hadn't made the trades, said "I LIKE THIS TEAM" and we lost in the first round, I would give him an F.

See I think if we hadn't made any moves and kept the team we started the year with, we would be in a better position now than we currently are.

We were still probably a first round team, but at least we had tradable pieces. Now we don't have anything and things look bleak. I'd almost would have preferred to see us stand pat and see what would have developed during the summer.

My guess is that we probably could have made the trades we made at the mid-way point, during the summer months.

I'd give Otis an F. He needs to get out of here. Time for a new direction in management.

• Upvote 1

See I think if we hadn't made any moves and kept the team we started the year with, we would be in a better position now than we currently are.

We were still probably a first round team, but at least we had tradable pieces. Now we don't have anything and things look bleak. I'd almost would have preferred to see us stand pat and see what would have developed during the summer.

My guess is that we probably could have made the trades we made at the mid-way point, during the summer months.

I'd give Otis an F. He needs to get out of here. Time for a new direction in management.

Giving up Gortat and reaquiring Hedo was the big mistake for me.

Giving up Gortat and reaquiring Hedo was the big mistake for me.

Yeah even, when it happened I think we all were like..what?

The J Rich part seemed really cool at the time, but the Hedo thing was weird. We got owned on that trade.

Otis has this summer to turn it around and next season to resign Dwight. If that does not happen, he will be fired.

Yeah even, when it happened I think we all were like..what?

The J Rich part seemed really cool at the time, but the Hedo thing was weird. We got owned on that trade.

Otis has this summer to turn it around and next season to resign Dwight. If that does not happen, he will be fired.

I don't know if I'd wait until next season. If things aren't turned around this off season or at least signs of pieces that look like a team that contend for the next 5 years with Miami in the East, then you might want to give Otis that pink slip before next season and find a gm QUICK who can give Dwight a plan that he can believe in because right now, no one knows what the plan is. The Arena's and Shard thing, doesn't really bother me. I think any GM could see the Amnesty thing coming. Giving up a young big like Gortat who has experience in the playoffs and such, for 2 guys whos 30 and beyond AND giving up a first rounder, was a straight palm to the face. I know we got Clark back but the jury is still out on him and we're really just all banking on that P word.

Why? We still lost in the first round and have nothing to show for it except a worse cap situation, an older roster, and an absence of trade assets to improve the team. You're right, people would be freaking out if Otis had stayed pat and we lost in the first round but that's only because they wouldn't have known what the alternative would have been. The right decision was to stay pat.

You have a gross misunderstanding of what a general manager does.