Sign in to follow this  
UBBALLER8

Magic Johnson and Michael Wilbon campaigning for the Lakers to trade for Dwight

After we were eliminated from the playoffs, the talking heads argued that we should trade Dwight to LA because it was inevitable that he would go there, despite no evidence to suggest that he wants out, none that alludes to LA as his primary target, or any feasible means of acquiring him on LA's behalf barring a Melo-like cop out from one Dwight Howard. They'd suggest, "why stay on a sinking ship in Orlando when you could join a great supporting cast with one of the greatest players and coaches of all-time?", for a team whose HOF player is on the tail-end of his career, whose HOF coach has one foot out the door, and whose roster, as a whole, is on the verge of imploding.

Forget that LA has no financial flexibility, forget that their most enticing trade offer is a classless, injury-prone center making similar bank without half of Dwight's impact, forget that Dwight himself has stated that he wouldn't follow the "Shaq blueprint", our organization and fans alike should panic because Mike f****** Wilbon has just as much access to the ESPN trade machine as the rest of us.

He is a fool. The entire ESPN/NBA cast are comprised of knee-jerk, "what have you done for me lately?" buffoons who were campaigning equally hard for another all-star to leave the team that drafted him for the big apple. I stopped watching NBA on ESPN the minute the incorporated the likes of Barry/Magic into the mix, and it seems that they've attracted even more of the same mess as of late.

Dwight cannot sign with the LA Lakers. He has publicly alluded to not wanting to follow Shaq's path, and we sure as hell won't trade him to the Lakers. This thing has no wheels. It doesn't even have a capable mass by which to attach the wheels to. It doesn't even match the criteria to qualify as a damn rumor. It is a 100% media-driven plea from a team's partial owner (Johnson), and an admirer of said owner (Wilbon), to grab a superstar from another team much in the same way a kid adds a star to their NBA Live team by turning off the trade restrictions.

Unless Dwight is heavily influenced by the opinion of a second-rate journalist, this "campaign" has about as much momentum as your average bleacher's report article.

In responding to and sharing it amongst others, you're adding to its "buzz". Simply put, let it die, and it will.

• Upvote 8

Magic Johnson never said anything about Dwight. He said the Lakers should blow the team up, that everyone not named Kobe is expendable.

Wilbon and Barry were the ones spewing that crap. Magic didn't even lend a cursory nod in agreement to the notion.

My post in the other thread was more comprehensive than this entire thread. At least I didn't muck up the details.

Maybe I should start more threads...

By the way, I'm not trying to be a dick. Just saying...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

After we were eliminated from the playoffs, the talking heads argued that we should trade Dwight to LA because it was inevitable that he would go there, despite no evidence to suggest that he wants out, none that alludes to LA as his primary target, or any feasible means of acquiring him on LA's behalf barring a Melo-like cop out from one Dwight Howard. They'd suggest, "why stay on a sinking ship in Orlando when you could join a great supporting cast with one of the greatest players and coaches of all-time?", for a team whose HOF player is on the tail-end of his career, whose HOF coach has one foot out the door, and whose roster, as a whole, is on the verge of imploding.

Forget that LA has no financial flexibility, forget that their most enticing trade offer is a classless, injury-prone center making similar bank without half of Dwight's impact, forget that Dwight himself has stated that he wouldn't follow the "Shaq blueprint", our organization and fans alike should panic because Mike f****** Wilbon has just as much access to the ESPN trade machine as the rest of us.

He is a fool. The entire ESPN/NBA cast are comprised of knee-jerk, "what have you done for me lately?" buffoons who were campaigning equally hard for another all-star to leave the team that drafted him for the big apple. I stopped watching NBA on ESPN the minute the incorporated the likes of Barry/Magic into the mix, and it seems that they've attracted even more of the same mess as of late.

Dwight cannot sign with the LA Lakers. He has publicly alluded to not wanting to follow Shaq's path, and we sure as hell won't trade him to the Lakers. This thing has no wheels. It doesn't even have a capable mass by which to attach the wheels to. It doesn't even match the criteria to qualify as a damn rumor. It is a 100% media-driven plea from a team's partial owner (Johnson), and an admirer of said owner (Wilbon), to grab a superstar from another team much in the same way a kid adds a star to their NBA Live team by turning off the trade restrictions.

Unless Dwight is heavily influenced by the opinion of a second-rate journalist, this "campaign" has about as much momentum as your average bleacher's report article.

In responding to and sharing it amongst others, you're adding to its "buzz". Simply put, let it die, and it will.

Well said.

Instead of Lakers trying to get D12, how about the Magic try and get Kobe? We'll take Gasol off their hands too and give them some prospects (Fran and Orton) and some quality young players (Bass and Anderson) and a cap filler (Arenas) in return.

PG Jameer

SG Kobe

SF Q

PF Gasol

C D12

• Upvote 1

what makes you think other teams beside LA won't be in the picture...sign and trades don't have to be 1-1 it can be a three team deal that gives the third team Bynum - just off the top of my head NJ will have cap room and agility to do it giving both LA and Nets what they want and leaving the Magic with a huge exception that they have to use within a year or lose in its entirety which btw is something Cleveland is freaking at about because the whole new CBA negotiations might means there is a good chance they will lose it meaning they lost Lebron for garbage picks throwing salt on the wound...

*******BEGIN TRANSMISSION*******

Why would New Jersey waste its CAP space on Bynum when it could push to take Dwight Howard instead? Why waste their CAP space and their shot and Dwight Howard AND most likely their chances of retaining Deron Williams for Andrew Bynum?

You seem to be following the same logic as Michael Wilbon, pathetic man-animal: The logic that dictates that other teams somehow owe it to the Lakers to ensure that they get whatever they want at everyone else's expense.

*******END TRANSMISSION*******

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I think the only way we'd have to worry about this trade going down was if Jerry West became our GM and "fairly" traded Dwight to LA (probably for cash and a 3rd round pick or something).

Magic and company were talking about this at halftime of the Celtics-Miami game as well.... Jon Barry was like if I was Mitch Kupchak I would call up Otis Smith and say hey... anyone on my team but Kobe. Call me back! lol

If I were Otis, I would say, call me back "WHEN KOBE IS ON THE TABLE" ! Ahhhh, the sounds of silence!! LOL!

If I were Otis, I would say, call me back "WHEN KOBE IS ON THE TABLE" ! Ahhhh, the sounds of silence!! LOL!

Kobe? Not really interested in a guy that has as much wear and tear on his body as him. He has been declining over the last couple of years.

Anyone that thinks a trade with LA is realistic is fooling themselves. LA has nothing that the Magic should be interested in, and Dwight is worth more than their whole team right now.

Kobe? Not really interested in a guy that has as much wear and tear on his body as him. He has been declining over the last couple of years.

Anyone that thinks a trade with LA is realistic is fooling themselves. LA has nothing that the Magic should be interested in, and Dwight is worth more than their whole team right now.

I agree, no doubt at all but....that was my way of saying "NO"!!! lol

I agree, no doubt at all but....that was my way of saying "NO"!!! lol

I figured that.... But was not sure. I see an awful lot of people wanting Older plarers on here, like Rip and others, and I am not interested in that at all I want some younger guys.

Remember in the 09 Finals, when Chuck said Kobe is at the end of his career and everybody laughed at him when Kobe scored like 40+?

I love Chuck.

I agree. Its insane, and I had to even go back to my DVR when I heard Wilbon and Magic talking (during the halftime show) and I quoted their conversation so the rest of the boards could see how insanely stupid their claims were.

Great post.

I loved the NBA Live trade restrictions analogy. So so fitting.