Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

2009 Magic vs. 2011 Magic ; Who's more potent?

2009 vs. 2011: Van Gundy was asked before the game if his Magic were more potent now than they were in 2009 when they made it to the NBA Finals opposite the Lakers. Van Gundy said while this team has yet to have its meddle tested in the playoffs, he does feel like this Magic team has as much offensive firepower as any team he’s coached in Orlando.

``Potentially this team would be more powerful because we’ve got Jameer back, (Jason Richardson) is more of a scorer than Courtney (Lee) and while our (power forwards) might not put up the numbers that Rashard (Lewis) did, they’re still pretty good,’’ Van Gundy said. ``And we’ve got Gil (Arenas) off the bench and (J.J.) Redick is a better player now than he was two years ago. We can score the ball better, but our problem is throwing the ball to the other team (with turnovers). It’s hard to score when you’re turning the ball over.’’

http://www.nba.com/magic/news/denton_notes_031411.html

I think Stan and I are watching two very different teams. I see a team that struggles to score when Jameer is unable to consistently collapse the defense...even against weaker teams. Hedo is a shell of his former self. Richardson struggles to finish at the rim and if Hedo is a shell of his former self, Gilbert is a corpse.

I've come to the conclusion that the Magic won't be winning it all this season. I don't think they have the weapons to beat the Celtics or the Bulls and arguably the Heat if the Heat get hot.

• Upvote 1

We can compare this team to the 2009 team all we want, but, the truth is that NO team we faced in the 2009 playoff run (Save, maybe the 76ers) is the same team now that they were then. Boston was without Garnett and Rondo was not the beast he is now (and has only been since mid-last season). The Cavs were a team built to lose against us, and Miami has filled some of the holes the Cavs had by having another elite scorer and a servicable big (Otherwise, basically the same type of team). The Lakers are much better now than they were in 2009. Kobe is less potent, but Gasol has furnished his skills down low. Odom is much better as well, and instead of Ariza, they've got Steve Blake and our own Matt Barnes. And now, we also have the Bulls to deal with (who would probably have given us fits in 2009 as well).

Tell me, if the 2009 team played any of these teams now (Or Boston with Garnett in 2009), how much better of a chance would they really have over our current roster?

We don't lose to GSW if we have Redick. And with Redick in, the minutes are much more evenly distributed at the 2 and 3 spot. Losing him, we have had to move guys into roles they aren't the most comfortable with for long periods of time. We also lose one of our most clutch guys in crunch time (At the line and off the ball movement).

No need to get worked up. This team is potent, they just need to move the ball more, and do so without it going into the other team's hands. Hedo seems to be getting back on the mend, and when JJ returns, it means less Gil and more Q at the 3. Ryno getting the starting job might also end up turning things around a bit.

Who gave the Magic even the slightest chance this time in 2009? And, last year, there were guys picking O-Town to go all the way. How did that turn out? People wrote our boys off in the first round against the 76ers, so let's wait and take each series as it comes.

Maybe another case of Magic is on its way!

So since everyone else if finally giving up, how long are we going to last in the playoffs?

Jameer and Rashard were All Stars in 2009. Unfortunatly Jameer was hurt for the playoff run, but Otis got us Rafer who ended up being big in our Finals run. That team defended and in 2009 we were outstanding against the top teams in the league all year.

This team can still score, but we aren't as good defensively and we don't have guys playing at a high level right now except for Dwight and occasional J-Rich stretches of brilliance.

So since everyone else if finally giving up, how long are we going to last in the playoffs?

We're playing like a second round exit team right now. I do think we have what it takes to pull off an upset and sneak into the ECF, but it's tough to imagine this team sustaining that level of play long enough to get to the Finals and even win it.

this years jameer is nothing like january 2009 jameer. I think we have more talent this year and a better rotation. I think 2009 we were extremely focused though.