Sign in to follow this  
Captain Hi-Top

SVG: Magic Not Ready to Contend

Not only that, it's still baffling me that people expect a team that isn't very athletic (outside of Dwight, Bass, and JRich) and that doesn't get stops, to run and gun. . .

Exactly. Have we ever been a run a gun team? I don't remember that being the case within the last few years. Secondly whens the last time 'run and gun' paid dividends come playoff time? With good defense offense will come. Heck with good defense you don't need very much offense.

• Upvote 1

What's more important come playoff time, fast break points, or being able to run an effective half court offense?

Well considering we literally owned Spurs with our fast breaks last time I would say fast break points. We haven't really ran that many fast breaks since the win streak to be honest.

Whether its run and gun, or half court, our problem has been DEFENSE. The percentages that Memphis shot in the 2nd and 3rd quarter should be the last straw. SVG should bench anyone not hustling on the defensive side. Simple as that.

Well considering we literally owned Spurs with our fast breaks last time I would say fast break points. We haven't really ran that many fast breaks since the win streak to be honest.

The Spurs were on a back to back and the Magic were playing defense, allowing them to push the ball off of the Spurs' bricks and outrun their old asses. Still, "running" doesn't take much practice. You play defense, hope for misses, and charge to the other side of the court.

Executing half-court plays takes a lot of practice and a lot of time, I'd much rather see the Magic continue to try to execute in the halfcourt in order to BECOME a better team than try to run every game, maybe win a few more, but really do NOTHING in terms of team growth and development.

That wasn't in the playoffs, that was regular season. So, let me ask you again, what is more important in the playoffs, fast breaks, or a solid half court offense? The pace of games slows down in the payoffs and you are going to spend a LOT of time in your half court offense. Maybe that will help you answer the question.

Our decent record says it all. In comparison to last year, the Magic's record is beneath them. They're competing with Atlanta for the fourth spot in the east for Christ sakes. There isn't enough consistency out of the players during quarters of games for the Magic to finally get on long periods of streaks. They show up to play because they have to but are their hearts and minds into the game?

The only player I would exclude from lackluster play is Howard. He's worked his ass off while his teammates disappoint him. He called them out and they won one game since then. Apparently they thought Howard was calling them out for one game.

Its already shameful that the Magic have to resort to zone defense. Its come to this yet again where the Magic can't intimidate any rookies or scrub players. The days where no one played hard enough or with a passion to compete with the elites. Its hard to be positive when these old habits from the "ugly" Magic days come back.

The only excuse I have for the Magic are that they are beat up. Almost half of this team is unhealthy. Bass, Arenas, Nelson, Turkoglu, Redick; all hurt or hurting. Even in the last game, I witnessed both Richardsons' taking some pain.

Our decent record says it all. In comparison to last year, the Magic's record is beneath them.

If the Magic go on a 5 game winning streak to close it off before the All-Star break, the record will be identical to last year's. . .

unlikely, but it's not too far off. . .

TITY would like to see you in his office Stan

He didn't say anything particularly revealing. He said we "didn't play very well defensively" in the third, to which I'd agree. I'm just not ready to jump on the "Magic played no defense" train when Memphis essentially ran a 30-minute video drill on perimeter shooting with no extra takes. Regardless, Stan says things like this all the time, being the bulletin-board material whore that he is.

He didn't say anything particularly revealing. He said we "didn't play very well defensively" in the third, to which I'd agree. I'm just not ready to jump on the "Magic played no defense" train when Memphis essentially ran a 30-minute video drill on perimeter shooting with no extra takes. Regardless, Stan says things like this all the time, being the bulletin-board material whore that he is.

Dont know.... I think his rant is right...

Our 3rd qtr play is the root cause to our loss against Memphis. Our play was pretty bad on the defensive end. How do go from leading to losing by double digits in less than a qtr?

To Memphis..... seriously... a 1 game over ,500 team. Conley goes for a career high, and we get killed on the glass. Refs didnt help, neither did that tech by Dwight.

So yea, something needs to be said.

I don't think the biggest blame for the current state of our defense should be placed as heavily on the wings and PF's.

In the end of the day it is Dwight's overall defensive aggressiveness that determines how good we are defensively. I'm sure that I am not the only one that has noticed he is not as intense consistently on defense this season. His block % is down considerably from last yr and that is a key indicator of our teams defensive performance as SVG has said many times.

Him trying to stay out of foul trouble because of the back up situation is having bigger repercussions than is apparent - that lack of depth at center has the most important part of the defensive puzzle not entirely firing. And as has been stated before when he sits we have even less of a down low presence.

• Bass and Anderson's Def Rtg 103/101 is as good or better than any Def Rtg Lewis ever put up (103 on his best overall year w Magic in 08).
  • Pietrus in first 19 games w Magic and JRich since he joined the Magic have the same DRtg of 104 and VC had a 107 DRtg last year.
  • Nelson is having his second best DRtg season (after his allstar year) and Arenas is at 102 way down from his previous years

Of course DRtg isn't the whole picture but it does in my opinion hint at what is the most urgent fix necessary - getting that back up center asap.