Sign in to follow this  
Captain Hi-Top

SVG: Magic Not Ready to Contend

Stan Van Gundy: ‘We’re not ready to contend’

Why?

The defense:

“We’re not ready to contend. We don’t defend long enough. We don’t defend hard enough for long enough, and we’re going to see if over the next 10½ weeks now if it’ll change. If it does, then we have a chance to be as good as anybody. And it if doesn’t, then we don’t. It’s pretty simple to me. I thought particularly in the third quarter we didn’t play very well defensively at all and we dug ourselves a big hole and just weren’t good enough.”

This reminds me of that "What do we need to fix more, 'O' or 'D'?" thread...

Seems pretty obvious to me. There are plenty of great offensive teams in the league but not quite as many great defensive teams in the league. We know we have a ton of firepower. If we could combine that firepower with an improvement on defense, then we wouldn't be losing to teams like Detroit and Memphis.

Well, if playoffs started tomorrow, I'd certainly agree. There is still a lot of room for improvement, though. . .

• Upvote 1

I would personally trade some firepower for more defense. It's a fine line though, but if we get behind in a game, we can not make stops, and if the shots are not going in, it's over. That is a formula for playoff failure.

The team defense is something that can improve over time, and will intensify when we are in the playoffs. I just don't think we're good enough to beat Boston.

Boston has been rolling hot all season, I dont think it will last all the way to the playoffs.

The line of thinking when the trade was made, atleast in my opinion, is that with a faster and more potentially lethal offense the defense would come along with it. When we are shooting lights out and kicking on all cylinders on offense, our defense looks great because guys are already fired up. When we're not, the same old problems come out. Guys get lethargic on defense and frustrated. All the way from top to bottom, even Dwight.

The way I see it, J-Rich is > than Vince was on D, if for no other reason that he is faster and plays with alot more heart. MP was > then Hedo, even though he wasn't the "lock down" defender people made him out to be. Hedo WAS giving us some decent D due to his height and girth, but that has seemed to go away. Is it his back? Maybe. He's never been a good defender to begin with. Gortat was Gortat. Sure, we miss him in the 2nd unit right now due to our glaring weakness not having a defensive big behind Dwight. But he was getting paid too much to play 13mpg. Shard > Arenas on D, even though they are two entirely different positions and players.

I think the defense will come around at some point. Are we going to be a top team like years past? No. But we have Dwight still, and that counts for alot.

The defense:

“We’re not ready to contend. We don’t defend long enough. We don’t defend hard enough for long enough, and we’re going to see if over the next 10½ weeks now if it’ll change. If it does, then we have a chance to be as good as anybody. And it if doesn’t, then we don’t. It’s pretty simple to me. I thought particularly in the third quarter we didn’t play very well defensively at all and we dug ourselves a big hole and just weren’t good enough.”

TITY would like to see you in his office Stan

This makes no sense. Please, stop it.

How come? teams go trough higher and lower end of the shooting percentages and afaik boston has been shooting lights out against good teams.

How come? teams go trough higher and lower end of the shooting percentages and afaik boston has been shooting lights out against good teams.

I think it has something to do with the fact that they are the overall best team in the NBA, and are going to be THE team to beat in the playoffs. Oh, and add to the fact that they play on both ends of the floor.

I find it hard to believe that come playoff time, they are going to be burned out. Heard all this garbage last year and I am not gonna fall for it again.